Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC crashes if launched from within GNOME
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm not sure that this is a problem with XBMC itself, but I can't reproduce it using any other program. If I launch xbmc (or xbmc-standalone) from a session within GNOME3, it will crash immediately approximately 90% of the time. However, using gdm to login to a session which automatically launches xbmc-standalone (Exec=xbmc-standalone), then XBMC works perfectly.

Most of the time, it segfaults in XUngrabPointer() from libX11.so.6 (see http://pastebin.com/b1xJgm6v), but occasionally it crashes by some other method (http://pastebin.com/fgR5cfQs). According to xdpyinfo, my display depth is 24-bit.

In order to reproduce, I simply need to attempt to launch XBMC from inside GNOME3. I am using 64-bit ArchLinux with an Intel Core i3 and using the xf86-video-intel driver. This happens both with xbmc 10.1-9 from Archlinux, and compiling the source available at http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/source/...0.1.tar.gz.
10.1 is outdated as we're preparing a new release. You might want to give it a try. Sources @ https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc
It is happening with latest Pre Eden builds as well. And not only Gnome Shell, also Unity 3D, KDE, Compiz.

One thing in common:
  • It happens when switching between fullscreen and windowed mode, in any 3D accelerated window manager.
  • XBMC starts succesfully in windowed mode, but if I try to turn into full screen mode it happens.
  • Sometimes (1-5% of the cases) xbmc even starts succesfully in fullscreen mode, but as I try to get back to windowed mode, that is when the crash happens.
  • It is also the gui manager that crashes, not only xbmc.
  • It only happens if you choose to turn off 3D gui effects for full screen applications. (This is really needed if one wants a stutter-, tear- free playback)
  • It is specific to Intel Sandy Bridge GPUs as I found.
  • I have not found any other application which has such problems switching from fullscreen to windowed. I tried Openarena, VLC.
  • It is a Distribution, window manager independent problem.

As I have not found any other application that has this problem, it might be that there is a possible solution in xbmc to handle this problem.
I can confirm this bug. It's also not specific to Sandy Bridge, I have it on a first gen Core i3

model name : Intel® Core™ i3 CPU M 350 @ 2.27GHz
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0046] (rev 02)

I've tried updating to the graphics drivers from this ppa:
https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/graphics-drivers

but it doesn't help.

Running Ubuntu 11.10 with Gnome-shell on a Dell Latitude E5410.
I have the same problem on my sandy bridge laptop when using the latest build from the unstable ppa.
Yeah I think ALL Intel chipsets are effected. Surely something in the driver, but there should be also something we can do in xbmc, because no other full screen applcation has this problem. I am investogating the resolution change code in xbmc. I found out that switching to the SAME resolution is handled differently than switching to a difrerent one. I am investigating how we can reinitalize things when desktop effects are turned off. It is in GraphicContext.cpp.

If any one can help, or has any idea, let me know.

Chers, Alan
alanwww1: We had problems on AMD platform and resolution changes. Not sure if you are observing the same problem but you might want to try this patch:
https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc/comm...6168bec0c7
Thanks Rainer for the help. I tried your patch, but we seem to have a different issue here. Still the same crash.

Any other idea ? The xbmc intro logo shows and after we have the crash of the whole windowing session. System drops us back to lihtdm.
I made a little debugging to find out what makes the crash.

I found out that it is in WinSystemX11GL.cpp
The function is: bool CWinSystemX11GL:TongueresentRenderImpl(const CDirtyRegionList& dirty)

And the call is:
glXSwapBuffers(m_dpy, m_glWindow);

The strange is that the crash is with the SECOND glxSwapbuffers call. The first one, which shows xbmc splash screen runs succesfully.

Here is the log with additional logentries I inserted: http://pastebin.com/NktiBb0Y

Not sure how the desktop effects turning off with full screen apps works, but sure it has to do something why the swapbuffers call does not work. Maybe it is turned off AFTER the first Swapbuffer call leaving things borked.

The other important thing is that not xbmc which crashes. It is the complete window manager. I am back to KDM, GDM or LightDM depending on which one I am using.

Rainer or anyone have you got any idea how to fix this ? It is a pretty serious problem I think.
Same problem here. I am running an i3 core with gnome 3.2, everytime I try to run xbmc my x window crashes immediately and I get back to the login screen, however if I run xbmc on the fluxbox desktop enviroment works perfect, seems a bug with Gnome3.2, xbmc and i3 core machines.
Any news on this yet?
Hi guys !

Currently I am working on another important project within xbmc so I did not have time to work on this. When I will have time I am going to fix this. Or by that time maybe Intel can fix the driver :-)

Keep you updated.
Hi everybody!

I found a temporary solution. Changing the resolution in the file guisettings.xml located at $home/youruser/.xbmc/userdata/.

1. Once you get into the userdata folder make a backup of the file guissetings.xml just in case.

[pearljago@myhost userdata]$ cp guisettings.xml guisettings.backup2.xml

2. Open the file guissettings.xml using your favorite editor with root privileges.

[pearljago@myhost userdata]$sudo gedit guissetings.xml

3. Finally, find the first line that refers to the full screen resolution, below the <defaultvideosettings>

On my settings the resolution was:

<description>1366x768 @ 60.00 - Full Screen</description>

I changed to

<description>600x400 @ 60.00 - Full Screen</description>

Now xbmc will start on a small window and you can change the resolution to full screen mode through the program settings, don't forget to change back to windowed mode before closing the program, otherwise the next time you run xbmc, you will have the same problem again.
Guess I'll use this as my introduction also (just registered)

I managed to fix this issue on my Dell N5010 . I had the same issue with XBMC loading for a few seconds in fullscreen from GNOME 3, then crashing back to login screen.

I managed to fix this by setting a more 'normal' display size. By this I mean, my laptop has a 1366x768 display so I launched XBMC fullscreen (from login) and changed the setting to 1360x768 - now it launches and works flawlessly from GNOME shell (3.1). Hope this helps Big Grin

Dell N5010
Ubuntu 11.10
GNOME-shell (3.1)

EDIT: btw I don't think it is a compatibility issue with GNOME / XBMC because I run XBMC flawlessly on my desktop with GNOME 3 on Twinview and had no problems ever with it. Also I now have it running without a hitch on my laptop - I think the problem actually lies within the screen resolution being a weird size
I have a screen size of 1920x1080 .. weird oO
Pages: 1 2