Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [xbmcbuntu eden beta 3] Init Crash On Startup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi All,
I'm installing xbmcbuntu eden 3 live to a fixed disk (another usb stick...) and everything goes great during the install; I selected autologin with my own username. The first boot after install, it comes up perfect to the xbmc gui and all's cool. Then, when I reboot, it doesn't lock up, but fails in the init scripts (took some trial and error to figure this out) to load the WM, with messages like:

"...Starting XBMCbuntu
Starting LightDM Display Manager
Stopping XBMCbuntu
Stopping saving kernel messages
Checking for running unattended-upgrades...
Checking battery state..."

I originally thought this was a major display or kernel driver glitch, but none of it turned out to be the problem. I "fixed" it by going into a shell and running:

sudo /usr/sbin/lightdm

This brings the graphics back up and everything is great! The default display manager in /etc/X11 is set to /usr/sbin/lightdm...

This is apparently an init problem (I'm an old SysV guy and not yet familiar with upstart...), and/or the default login is screwing it up...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Murph
I have the exact same issue. It would be great if someone could help us with this Smile

Here's some information, I'll try grab a debug log later when I'm at home to add to this:

1. It's XBMCBuntu beta3 installed from the beta3 XBMCBuntu iso image
2. Using the default skin
3. System is a Intel Celeron G530 2.4ghz, 4GB RAM, nVidia GT430 Graphics card, 80GB Intel SSD
I am also having this same issue. Same release of XBMCBuntu installed to a SSD.

Running sudo /usr/sbin/lightdm does not work for me. There is nothing in syslog that would seem to indicate a problem.

This issue seems odd because I can only replicate it by rebooting from the XBMC menu. If I ssh into the box and do a sudo reboot the machine will boot normally and I am greeted with the XBMC home screen.

Nothing is indicated in the XBMC logs either to clue me in.

My hardware:
Intel Atom 330 (not overclocked), Nvidia Ion graphics, 4GB RAM, 60GB OCZ SSD.
same boat as everyone else. installs fine on my ASUS AT3IONT-I but then restart the system and all I see is:

Code:
* Starting bluetooth                         [OK]
* Starting Mount network filesystems         [OK]
* Starting Mount network filesystems         [OK]
* Checking battery state...                  [OK]

* Stopping System V runlevel compatibility   [OK]

ive reinstalled it so many times trying to see what causes it but havent figured it out yet.

anyone figured out a fix or will I just need to wait for the final release?
Digging deeper I found this in my Xorg log.

(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module.

After I ran "sudo modprobe nvidia" I was able to "sudo /usr/sbin/lightdm" and bring up XBMC as the first poster.

It would seem the NVIDIA kernel module is not being loaded correctly at boot time for me.

Which is odd because acording to syslog it loads without error
Quote:Feb 26 23:21:54 DVR kernel: [ 25.893916] NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module 280.13 Wed Jul 27 16:55:43 PDT 2011

Edit: While I'm not sure if it is an ideal (or safe) solution I do have one for my issue.
The following seems to have fixed my issue.
Code:
sudo modprobe nvidia
sudo mkdir /etc/udev/devices
sudo cp -a /dev/nvidia* /etc/udev/devices
sudo chown root.root /etc/udev/devices/nvidia*

Use the above at your own risk as my knowledge of Linux is out of date by a few years so my above solution may cause unforeseen side effects
I too am having this issue on XBMCbuntu final. Soft rebooting fails every time, while cold booting seems to load properly about 7 times out of 10.

I have a Celeron G620T, MSI G210 card, and 64gb SSD.

Is it possible that the system is booting too fast from the SSD and trying to bring up Xorg before the kernel module is ready?

I also tried the above posters fix, and that did not work for me.
I was having the same struggle myself (XBMCbuntu Eden, Final). I followed the solution suggested in this thread and thankfully, it worked for me!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1504531&page=8

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install --reinstall gdm xorg
(2012-03-28, 00:13)ultatryon Wrote: [ -> ]I too am having this issue on XBMCbuntu final. Soft rebooting fails every time, while cold booting seems to load properly about 7 times out of 10.

I have a Celeron G620T, MSI G210 card, and 64gb SSD.

Is it possible that the system is booting too fast from the SSD and trying to bring up Xorg before the kernel module is ready?

I also tried the above posters fix, and that did not work for me.

You may be right. We are all using SSDs and therefor booting much quicker then we would under normal circumstances. If memory serves at the same time I was attempting to fix this issue, I was also installing other background tasks that run at startup (mysql server, ect..) Those might have increased my boot time by 1 or 2 seconds and given it enough time to load the kernel module.

You might try adding a delay to see if it fixes the issue for you.
(2012-03-28, 18:27)EmuZombie Wrote: [ -> ]You may be right. We are all using SSDs and therefor booting much quicker then we would under normal circumstances. If memory serves at the same time I was attempting to fix this issue, I was also installing other background tasks that run at startup (mysql server, ect..) Those might have increased my boot time by 1 or 2 seconds and given it enough time to load the kernel module.

Added a sleep 4 to /etc/init/xbmcbuntu.conf just at the start of the script. That fixed it for me. So I think the guess with the ssd was right.
I had tried to put a sleep 5 in /etc/rc.local which did nothing, so I will try it in xbmcbuntu.conf tonight when I get home.
As an update, I put a sleep 5 just after the "script" line of my /etc/init/xbmcbuntu.conf, and after a handful of warm and cold restarts.. it seems to have corrected my problem.

What is amusing is that I just put this SSD into this machine.. I bet I would have had no problems with the old laptop hard drive that was in there. heh
(2012-03-28, 16:57)JMelin Wrote: [ -> ]I was having the same struggle myself (XBMCbuntu Eden, Final). I followed the solution suggested in this thread and thankfully, it worked for me!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1504531&page=8

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install --reinstall gdm xorg

I shouted way to early. It worked for a couple of days and a few shutdowns, but now the problem is back again,

(2012-03-28, 21:28)mapsreteip Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-03-28, 18:27)EmuZombie Wrote: [ -> ]You may be right. We are all using SSDs and therefor booting much quicker then we would under normal circumstances. If memory serves at the same time I was attempting to fix this issue, I was also installing other background tasks that run at startup (mysql server, ect..) Those might have increased my boot time by 1 or 2 seconds and given it enough time to load the kernel module.

Added a sleep 4 to /etc/init/xbmcbuntu.conf just at the start of the script. That fixed it for me. So I think the guess with the ssd was right.

I tested your suggestion but it didn't work for me I'm afraid. I have a Zotac Zbox HD-ID11 (Atom D510) with a Compact Flash card as HDD. So my problem might still be related to timing (CF being simular to a SSD).

How does your xbmcbuntu.conf look like? I added "sleep" in the beginning of the script as suggested, see code:

Code:
script
    sleep 10
    kernelParams=$(cat /proc/cmdline)
    subString=${kernelParams##*xbmc=}
    xbmcParams=${subString%% *}

yes, that is where I stuck the sleep, and so far has been working for me.
(2012-03-29, 23:07)ultatryon Wrote: [ -> ]yes, that is where I stuck the sleep, and so far has been working for me.

OK, thanks, then I know I did it right so far. Tested with different values, from one to 30 seconds, but no difference, so I hope that some additional solution will appear. Guess that if I re-install the unit, there is a good chance it will come back. In addition to my ID11, I also have an Zotac Zbox NANO AD10-E, which so far haven't shown these problems.
The AD10-E is not an Nvidia based platform, so it would use the AMD/ATi drivers instead.
Pages: 1 2