Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: MySQL server for one machine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,
I've kinda hijacked this post: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...t=multiple so I decided to start my own to deal with my specific issues:
I have one windows 7 machine that can run multiple clients (one for each user) Simultaneously, After asking in the post mentioned, creating MySQL server was the suggested solution to keep all clients synced (watch status, bookmarks, etc).
I've followed the wiki but it doesn't seem to work. Bookmarks aren't shared and when using SELECT COUNT(*) for the database - 'database doesn't exist' message is received.
I've check all the advancedsetting files' location and they seem to be correct.
I have no idea how to use MySQL. Any commands I can use to pinpoint the issue?
you have to check if the db is already created witin MySql (mysql>SHOW DATABASESWink. Try to install a MySql frontend like http://www.heidisql.com/download.php and getting access to the server.
Make sure the db user is having GRANT rights (dbo - database owner) - GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'xbmc';.

The created db name will be different from the name in your advancedsetting.xml. When using xbmc_video the db name will be xbmc_videoXX (XX number, not sure which one).
Did you install MySQL as a service (so it runs on all accounts)?
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/w...rvice.html
thanks for the fast reply.
I so embrassed I thought 'xbcm' as password in advancedsetting.xml is wrong so i changed it to my MySQL user pasword. Confused
After changing the password back to 'xbmc', bookmarks are exchanged.
The frontend shows the two dbs (myvideo60, mymusic18) andthey don't seem to be empty. the service seem to run (mysqld.exe, run by use SYSTEM)
However, now I have a different issue (that wasn't when the db wasn't accessed) the databases won't update.
Both clients 'display' some version of outdated database of my videos. I tried clearing, importing, removing libraries.
Could it be connected to sources.xml? Or premission to change the db in windows? Will posting my log help?
Are all clients running the same version of xbmc? that I believe is a requirement for mysql databases.

And make sure you are not specifying a <name> for the databases in your advancedsettings.xml Eden handles database creation and all that itself and does not like it when you interfere.

Other than that, make sure you follow the wiki entry for mysql as it is the most up-to-date source for mysql databases in xbmc

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW..._libraries

EDIT:

A debug log would certainly help
All clients are EDEN RC2 and they are the same version since it's one OS in one machine.
this is my log link: edit: I posted the log files w/o enabling DEBUG mode. posting a correct log might take a few days.
I don't know what you mean by db name, but I can tell that after the 'pass' mistake I simply copy/paste the advancedsettings.xml in the wiki (which I followed to my best understanding).
I imported the video library file from my current running portable client (which works well when MySQL db is not accessed by XBMC). I also tried removing all media folders/paths from the different client in order to 'reset' XBMC's db but it doesn't work.
Can it be related to the fact that one user had admin rights and the other doesn't?
took a while but here's my DEBUG log.
http://pastebin.com/JFqV03ee
Can anyone help?
EDIT:
I've found this thread and bug report that seem to be relavant (since my sql share is local) however I have no idea how to fix it like suggested there.
EDIT 2:
After reading through the bug report, and using the workaround suggested (sharing the media dirs and then using SMB as the source) I can finally say that syncing works in the computer.
It would be nice if this was mentioned in the WIKI.

Now the next step, I'd to have one instance as the main one: choose the skin and interface, thumbnails, posters etc.
I've used the path substitute for thumbnails, sources and addon data. However, when I choose a thumbnail, install an addon it doesn't change the other XBMC instances.
What am I doing wrong/what more do I need to do?
Plus, is there a way to make thumbnails load faster? since the path sub they load really slow and it's critical since I use the banner to select the tv show..
Once again I answering myself:
I've used Symlink for the thumbnails, addons and addon_data folder (the rest is path sub)so the instances are pretty much identical. The last challenge left is the GUI: when using path substitute on guisetting.xml, the forwarded intance doesn't apply the setting and destroys the setting for the original instance.
Does anyone know of another methof of achieving this?
(2012-04-01, 23:43)BoomBang Wrote: [ -> ]Once again I answering myself:
I've used Symlink for the thumbnails, addons and addon_data folder (the rest is path sub)so the instances are pretty much identical. The last challenge left is the GUI: when using path substitute on guisetting.xml, the forwarded intance doesn't apply the setting and destroys the setting for the original instance.
Does anyone know of another methof of achieving this?

I'd love to know how to fix this too. I have a WHS 2011 box serving all my media using NFS (rather than SMB) with path subs for the sources.xml, Thumbnails and addon_data folders and a MySQL DB for the media libraries.

My attempts this evening to sub guisettings.xml has fallen flat on its face; every time either machine is rebooted, the file is overwritten on the share with a default one. This is really annoying as it's proving that there isn't a permissions problem etc.

I'm running the Aeon MQ3 skin and what I'm trying to achieve is identical settings over both (and eventually other) machines.

I've read somewhere that XBMC will reset the guisettings.xml file on shutdown so this might not be fixable. I did try removing write permissions from the file to prevent this, but XMBC gets wise to this and refuses to access it at all.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.
Do NOT attempt to load guisettings.xml via path substitution. This file is written to reasonably regularly by XBMC, and thus you'll quite likely screw something up with 2 machines writing the same thing. Further, much of the content is machine-specific.
Thanks for the reply and the info, jmarshall.

Since posting above, I looked into guisettings.xml in more detail and noticed the machine-specific stuff; resolutions etc.

Is there any way to share just the skin settings? I tried placing the <skinsettings> node into advancedsettings.xml but it had no effect.

Also, in the absence of a debug log, can you think of any reason why one of my machines will forget all of its settings following a full power down occasionally? Its this reason wny in trying to share all of the settings.
(2012-04-04, 23:51)jmarshall Wrote: [ -> ]Do NOT attempt to load guisettings.xml via path substitution.... Further, much of the content is machine-specific.

I running all the instances of XBMC using the SAME machine. Did you mean different H/W settings because the different instances run on different screens (w/ different resolutions and desktop settings)?
Also when two instances running I get this error:
Code:
17:34:02 T:5968  NOTICE: ES: Starting event server
17:34:02 T:5968   ERROR: JSONRPC Server: Failed to bind serversocket
17:34:02 T:4208  NOTICE: ES: Starting UDP Event server on 0.0.0.0:9777
17:34:02 T:4208  NOTICE: UDP: Listening on port 9777
17:34:02 T:5968 WARNING: XFILE::CRarDirectory::GetDirectory: rar lib returned no files in archive \ebcd.001, likely corrupt
17:34:02 T:5968   ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting rar://%5cebcd%2e001/
17:34:03 T:5152  NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
17:34:03 T:2172  NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
17:34:03 T:5152  NOTICE:  StorageServer Module loaded RUN
17:34:03 T:5152  NOTICE: StorageClient-0.9.2 Starting server
17:34:03 T:5152  NOTICE: StorageServer-0.9.2 Storage Server starting C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\Database\commoncache.db
17:34:03 T:5152   ERROR: Error Type: <class 'socket.error'>
17:34:03 T:5152   ERROR: Error Contents: (10048, 'Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted')
17:34:04 T:5152   ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.common.plugin.cache\default.py", line 40, in <module>
                                                run()
                                              File "C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.common.plugin.cache\default.py", line 35, in run
                                                s.run()
                                              File "C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.common.plugin.cache/lib\StorageServer.py", line 192, in run
                                                sock.bind(self.socket)
                                              File "<string>", line 1, in bind
                                            error: (10048, 'Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted')
17:34:04 T:5968 WARNING: XFILE::CRarDirectory::GetDirectory: rar lib returned no files in archive \ebcd.001, likely corrupt
17:34:04 T:5968   ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting rar://%5cebcd%2e001/
(2012-03-29, 00:23)BoomBang Wrote: [ -> ]EDIT:
I've found this thread and bug report that seem to be relavant (since my sql share is local) however I have no idea how to fix it like suggested there.
EDIT 2:
After reading through the bug report, and using the workaround suggested (sharing the media dirs and then using SMB as the source) I can finally say that syncing works in the computer.

I had known about the Windows file path problem, but for some reason never made the connection in my head about this when I wrote the path subs part of the MySQL guide. Sorry about that!

As for the other bug, I believe that's more of a general issue where some networks are flaky with the NetBIOS name. It can happen with just SMB shares, for example. Other times people don't seem to have any issues at all using the NetBIOS name. Still, will try to work that in the guide as well.

Also, anyone is free to edit these things directly. Just sign up for an account (now that the forum upgrade is done, we might be able to link the forum accounts with the wiki so people don't have to sigh up for yet-another-website) and change things as you see fit. All changes are recorded, so nothing is ever lost or broken. At the same time, feel free to send me a message if you ever want to see something changed, but aren't comfortable doing the change yourself.
(2012-04-07, 23:50)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-03-29, 00:23)BoomBang Wrote: [ -> ]EDIT:
EDIT 2:

I had known about the Windows file path problem, but for some reason never made the connection in my head about this when I wrote the path subs part of the MySQL guide. Sorry about that!

As for the other bug, I believe that's more of a general issue where some networks are flaky with the NetBIOS name. It can happen with just SMB shares, for example. Other times people don't seem to have any issues at all using the NetBIOS name. Still, will try to work that in the guide as well.
Future generations and myself thank you.
What do you mean by "other bug"? as I see it the thread about scraping and the db bug are both connect to the backslash issue inMYSQL db.

Pages: 1 2