Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: No sound over HDMI and config looks ok
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

Having issues with getting sound over HDMI and XMBCbuntu Eden.

I'm running Gigabyte - GA-MA790GP-UD4H which has an onboard HDMI (ATI) output and I had XMBC running over windows 7 and receiving sound ok. I am a bit of a Linux n00b and its fair to say this is my first crack at using Linux.

I have done a lot of what some people have suggested in other forums and executed the following in the Terminal:

There was a problem when I ran 'aplay -l' as it would return an list of errors, mainly indicating "/home/*username*/.asoundrc maybe old or corrupted: consider to remove or fix it"

From here, I then renamed the file using the "mv" command to .asoundrc.old

Ran 'aplay -l' command again and then got a list of 3 devices.
The HDMI device is now showing up on Card1, Device3.

Went into alsamixer and ensured no devices were muted in this area (although, they are all showing up '00') and also ensured the S/PDIF was unmuted in the 'Select Device' screen.

I then logged back into XMBC from XMBCbuntu and set the Audio output to both HDMI and Optical with the below config:
Speaker Configuration = 2.0 - as its going straight into the TV
Boost Level on Downmix = yes
AC3 Capable = No
DTS Capable = No

Audio Output Device = Custom
custom audio device = PLUGHW:1,3
Passthrough output device = Custom
Custom passthrough device = PLUGHW:1,3

I've tried many variations on the 'plughw:1,3' line. Such as; lowercase, removing the 'plug' and changing to various audio outputs

Also confirmed the volume is turned up on the soundmixer application (the one that is a default plug-in with Eden)

Interestingly, when I run the 'speaker-test -d HDMI' command it just loops the left speaker test and won't run tests on anyother channel.

This may well be a case of me not knowing what I'm doing in Linux, but I could really do with some help. I've spent hours on this and I really like XMBCbuntu and want to avoid going back to Win7 if possible!

Any help would be appreciated!! Wink
Are you just not getting sound from the XBMC interface? have you tried playing media files?

John
Try adding the following in your ~/.asoundrc file:

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hdmi"
}
}

Reboot and try again. Hopefully that helps..

(2012-04-04, 16:44)DaMizZa Wrote: [ -> ]Try adding the following in your ~/.asoundrc file:

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hdmi"
}
}

Sorry to sound like a nuffbag; Do I need to run anyother command (ie: to access the file) before adding the above?

(2012-04-05, 03:59)Shtoive Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-04-04, 16:44)DaMizZa Wrote: [ -> ]Try adding the following in your ~/.asoundrc file:

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hdmi"
}
}

Sorry to sound like a nuffbag; Do I need to run anyother command (ie: to access the file) before adding the above?

Hi, there.
DaMizZa meant to add this lines into "/home/*username*/.asoundrc". Considering the old rc file was corrupt, it will be better to create another text file, add these lines in, and rename it to .asoundrc.

It is a easy job in windows, but ubuntu(yeah, I missed notepad as well). I'm not sure if there is any text editor in XBMCbuntu GUI, but if not unfortunately, you'll have to run command
Code:
nano ~/.asoundrc
or
Code:
vi ~/.asoundrc

nano or vi is just a text editor under linux. prefer nano.
I tried the PLUGHW: 1,3 command in lowercese as its case sensitive plughw :1,3 then (this was the bit that no none told me) I had to reboot my htpc for it to work. In xbmclive I could just change the sound configuration and play a track and it would work, but not so in XBMCbuntu
Do you get any errors related to the audio in /home/<username>/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log ? And I'm not sure, but did you re-create the .asoundrc file at all?
Check out this thread. I spent some time with a step by step guide.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=127428

Let us know.