Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC crashes when XBOX-controller disconnects
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Hi,

I updated to Eden v. 11.0 yesterday and everything works great except this one thing. Every time I pop the batteries on my wireless XBOX-controller, XBMC crashes. Note that this only happens during video playback. I can pop the batteries while in the menus and XBMC will keep running. I never had this problem before updating. Any ideas?

http://pastebin.com/sZV4msNr
I have the same issue and this is what I've found so far:

-------
http://pastebin.com/knir7upX

Issue: Disconnecting Xbox360 controller (ps3 controller in motioninjoy xbox360 mode) causes xbmc to crash. I'm using the Eden Final release on Windows 7 64bit, and I haven't fiddled with any controller settings for XBMC yet. I did not have this issue with Dharma.

Replicating the issue:
1) Connect controller and start up XBMC (I don't think this order is important)
2) launch a game from advanced launcher and play
3) exit the game and return to xbmc
4) disconnect controller
Doing so causes XBMC to freeze. Windows will then tell me the program has become unresponsive and ask to close XBMC

Things I've noticed
*You have to actually play a game to cause the issue. XBMC behaves as expected if you just connect and disconnect without playing a game.

*XMBC will crash if you launch the game on it's own as well (without using advanced launcher). Keeping xbmc in windowed mode, navigating and launching the game in windows, and then exiting the game and disconnecting the controller causes xbmc to crash once XBMC is reactivated.

*The crash also occurs when connecting the controller, but only for the first time connecting the controller after startup. If you disconnect and then reconnect without restarting the computer, the reconnect will be handled without crash.

* XBMC only crashes after it is activated. If, for example, you have another window open and XMBC in the background (in windowed mode) when the controller disconnects, you can actually still see XBMC react to your mouse in the background after the disconnect. It's only when you then reactivate XBMC that XBMC crashes.

For my tests I used MAME for both testing through advanced launcher and out (from desktop), as well as Snes9X through advanced launcher.
------

There is a from another thread where I also brought up this issue, but that thread has a couple of issues in it so it's probably better for me to post all information about this bug here from now on.

*Edited to update pastebin link.
I can confirm this as well. I use a PS3 controller emulated as a 360 controller through MotionInJoy, so I don't know if it is an issue with MotionInJoy or with 360 controllers.
Same here with buetooth wiimote...i think is crashing even is bluetooth is activated...
Happens for me too... I was getting really annoyed that I couldn't work out why it kept crashing. Win 7 x64 , New Eden install Cirrus extended v2. I'll debug log and see if i can record the crash.
(2012-04-21, 23:44)bradgy Wrote: [ -> ]Happens for me too... I was getting really annoyed that I couldn't work out why it kept crashing. Win 7 x64 , New Eden install Cirrus extended v2. I'll debug log and see if i can record the crash.

Im using cirrus extended v2 too....probably that is the problem?
Hmm, I'm using Aeon Nox 2 and still have the same problem.
Noticed this also happens in menus contrary to what I said in my first post. No one's got a fix for this?
is not theme problem...try with aeon and neon, and crash too.It happens too when i back from sleep.

My debug log: http://pastebin.com/z1uZKyGG

In my case, i think is bluetooth/bluesoleil related
Here's my set up:

EDEN, Win 7 x64, GTX 285 (most recent driver), official XBox Wireless Adapter with most recent drivers, Pulse-Eight Nyxboard.

Behavior is pretty straight forward: If I have the controller on and it turns off automatically like all Xbox Wireless Controllers do (through inactivity), XBMC crashes. This happens whether XBMC has focus or not. I load up an emulator and XBMC does not have focus, if the controller disconnects XBMC crashes. If I'm watching a movie (i.e. has focus) and the controller disconnects it crashes.

Here's my Debug Log: http://pastebin.com/L54UXfbM

Any headway on this? Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Thanks,
JOe K.

I think this is the line that is causing the error:

Thread CRemoteControl 1384 terminating
(2012-04-24, 00:37)tjcinnamon Wrote: [ -> ]Thread CRemoteControl 1384 terminating

That line is also in my log...

Code:
DEBUG: Thread CRemoteControl 3560 terminating
Here's some real interesting stuff:

When I remove the battery, nothing crashes. However, when the controller turns off on it's own, it crashes. The controller must be sending some sort of signal. Perhaps it's the CRemoteControl terminating command?

Yeah, I noticed another weird thing. If you have the XBMC process frozen when the controller disconnects, XBMC will be fine once the XBMC process resumes.

I have a fairly weak computer so I freeze xbmc with PSSuspend before launching a lot of my emulators, and restore xbmc when the emulator quits. If the controller disconnects while XBMC is suspended, XBMC will be fine once I quit the emulator and re-activate the XBMC process.

I think you might be right about the CRemoteControl command as that's also present in my log.
I hope a dev can take a look at this. I'm pretty new to XBMC and my programming skills are limited.
I'm looking into the specifics to confirm my theory:

You are now chatting with 'Nora'.

Joseph: I have a technical question regarding the Xbox 360 wireless adapter for PC. It seems that when the Xbox Wireless Controller is preparing to shut off through in activity it sends a command to the adapter. This command crashes a program that I am working on. The debug error that comes up is "DEBUG: Thread CRemoteControl <some assigned 4 digit number> terminating" I'm curious what that command is. I know there is a command set because when I just (suddenly) take out the battery that command is not sent and the program does not crash.

Nora: Hi Joseph! Thank you for contacting Xbox Customer Support.

Nora: How are you doing today?

Nora: Thank you for the details.

Nora: Let me check it for you.

Joseph: Am I in the right place for this type of question?

Nora: What we normally do with this kind of issue Joseph is we process a replacement for the adapter itself.

Joseph: There is nothing wrong with the adapter. It's an engineering question. I'm sure command is intentional. I'm just trying to get details on it.

Nora: If that

Nora: If that's the case Joseph, this is not the right place.

Nora: I apologize.

Joseph: That's okay. Could you tell me who to contact? Or point me in the direction of the proper department? I wasn't sure where to go.

Nora: Let me get a number for you.

Nora: Just give me awhuile.

Nora: For US Support, you can contact us at 1 800 469 9269.

Nora: We are open Monday to Sunday 09:00 am - 01:00 am Eastern Time and 06:00 am - 10:00 pm Pacific Time

Joseph: no problem. Thank you!

Nora: Please make sure to choose technical support.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11