Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Jailbreak Apple TV 3?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Should I just wait it out and see if there is any future Jailbreak updates for the apple tv3 or should I just return it and buy the apple tv2?

I'm willing to wait if people are working on getting this update finished soon but I just need to know how soon will they release it?

I bought it solely for the reason to put xbmc and other third-party apps on it but It seems I can't do that just yet.

I really love the 1080p quality on it that's probably the only reason I wanna keep it but I wont have any use for it if I dont have xbmc on it Sad

wait or return? Anybody know how to Jailbreak apple tv3 yet?
I'd recommend returning it. The jailbreak may take months.
It's being worked on but the ETA is as good as guess as mine. Depends how patient you are really.
You should definitely keep it, because once there is a jailbreak:
- There will be a run on all the atv's, so it will be harder to get one.
- Apple will release a new firmware which cannot be exploited yet.
- Newer ATV3's will come with the newer firmware, so you will be waiting then too for a newer jailbreak.
- Apple will stop signing the old firmware, so you are unable to use it.

More important:
- You can save your SHSH blobs now (and all newer if released), with TinyUmbrella.
- You can download the firmware now.

When the ATV3 is jailbroken there will be nothing standing in your way Big Grin

"Luck favours the prepared"

(2012-04-30, 00:23)Gusmatron Wrote: [ -> ]I really love the 1080p quality on it that's probably the only reason I wanna keep it but I wont have any use for it if I dont have xbmc on it Sad
Hello,

A friend of mine just bought an ATV3 to have 1080p, to replace his ATV2 (720p, no jailbreaked)

With him, we compared some days ago the final HD video quality on his big flat screen (165cm) for the same HDV 1080 video, between :

-(1)- The original HDV video played on an HDV VCR, (Linked in HDMI to the flat screen)

-(2)- His new ATV3 (Linked in HDMI to the flat screen, and by wifi to his big Mac pro quad-core)

-(3)- My ZBOX HD-ID11 (Openelec /Xbmc) with the HDV file stored on its SSD (and linked in HDMI to the flat screen)

We have seen immediately the loss of quality of same HD video played by ATV3

In original HDV, 1 hour of video is 12Go, but in the MAC Pro, linked to ATV3 in Wifi, the same HDV video is very compressed in ITUNE :

We suppose it's the main reason of the the quality loss (?)

On my small ZBOX HD-ID11, the quality was EXACTLY the same as the original (12Go, one hour video file)

Conclusion :

-> To have on ATV3 the best HD 1080 quality, jailbreak could be the only choice ?

Thanks for your ideas Smile

Why didn't u look to see if the atv3 was jailbroken before buying it?
(2012-04-30, 13:21)bladeds Wrote: [ -> ]Why didn't u look to see if the atv3 was jailbroken before buying it?

Probably because like myself, I was uneducated about XBMC and how to jailbreak ATV's until very recently. I bought an ATV3, mistakenably thinking it will allow me to jailbreak it, because all I'm seeing is that it's a black ATV, and looks identical to ATV2 in every possible way physically, except the model numbers are different.

Took me awhile to realize that ATV3's cannot be jailbroken yet. I bought it right around the time someone tweeted on Twitter that ATV3 jailbreak is being worked on.

I waited a few days but from forums, there was no hint of any timeline estimates, so I figured this could take weeks/months.

Instead of returning it fo refund, I sent out an email at work to see if anyone is willing to trade their ATV2 for my ATV3, and I found someone willing, and I now have an ATV2 which is now running XBMC. Yay :-D
edited: fake
(2012-04-30, 17:00)Saux64 Wrote: [ -> ]seas0npass.co.cc

I'm led to believe that's some dodgy site and a complete fake?
most likely fake since firecore says nothing about it, i took it from a comment in appletvhacks Tongue
(2012-04-30, 17:00)Saux64 Wrote: [ -> ]seas0npass.co.cc

Fake, fake, and fake.

(2012-04-30, 17:11)Saux64 Wrote: [ -> ]most likely fake since firecore says nothing about it, i took it from a comment in appletvhacks Tongue

It indeed is fake, You might want to remove (edit) the link just in case that site has malicious scripts running
(2012-04-30, 15:26)darthdiablo Wrote: [ -> ]Instead of returning it fo refund, I sent out an email at work to see if anyone is willing to trade their ATV2 for my ATV3, and I found someone willing, and I now have an ATV2 which is now running XBMC. Yay :-D
Can your ATV2 "jailbreaked", play HD 1080p videos with XBMC ?

Thanks for the info Smile

(2012-04-30, 18:09)Jean-Max Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-04-30, 15:26)darthdiablo Wrote: [ -> ]Instead of returning it fo refund, I sent out an email at work to see if anyone is willing to trade their ATV2 for my ATV3, and I found someone willing, and I now have an ATV2 which is now running XBMC. Yay :-D
Can your ATV2 "jailbreaked", play HD 1080p videos with XBMC ?

Thanks for the info Smile

No, it will not play 1080p in XBMC but it's irrelevant to me as even though I have 55" TV, i cannot really tell difference between 1080p vs 720p video. Maybe my eyes aren't as sharp as other "resolution whores" out there, but I'm happy just with the fact that my AppleTV2 can do XBMC now.

When they finally JB ATV3 (which very well might be months away still), I have the option of upgrading by buying new ATV3 and ebaying off my ATV2, but I doubt that'll happen.

Edit: I might be wrong about what I said. See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...AQ#Formats

It sounds as if I *can* play 720p and UP, as long as I use hardware decoding (H.264). That is awesome! Nearly my entire library is in H.264 anyway
plays 1080p h.264 ( if encoded within the specs) but outputs only 720p (hardware limitation).
Hello,

Excuse me for this "out of XBMC subject question", from my "Apple" friend :

-> With ATV3, how can we have better 1080p HD video quality ?

Perhaps :

-(1)- Linking ATV3 to MAC Pro with ethernet cat6 cable instead of WiFi ?

-(2)- Modify inside ITUNE software setting in MAC pro, the compression level of 1080p HD video (possible ?)

Thanks for your experience Smile

PS : If my friend cannot have better 1080p HD video quality with his ATV3, he will look about an other media-player like ZBOX + XBMC
Pages: 1 2