Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Shared libraries - different XBMC versions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello. I've been using XBMC since, well, I can remember. I had it running on an XBOX many years ago, and have stuck with it since.

I am having a problem with a shared MySQL library. I think I know the cause and what the answer will be, but I'm going to ask anyway. Firstly, an overview. Variety, they say, is the spice of life. Which makes my setup particularly spicy. I have a linux HTPC, a Mac, a Windows PC, and an iPad all running XBMC, and all sharing the same library (with two controlled by my Android phone Tongue).

I've been mostly having them all play nicely together, and was particularly pleased to get the thumbnails syncing via Dropbox (possibly overkill, yes, but I like anyway). However, when I click 'Update Library' from my Mac, it seems to create new entries for media already present. This, however, is a problem for another day.

As a further note, I am running PVR builds on all but the iPad, because I like them. This, I believe, is the cause of my current malaise.

I apparently have two different versions of XBMC, 11.0 (Linux) and 11.3 (Mac). This seems to mean that the Mac version is creating a different database, MyVideos61, from the Linux version (MyVideos60). I was unaware of this at first, because of course the MyVideos61 starts out as a copy of MyVideos60. However, from this point on, changes to the Linux library (e.g. the addition of a new video) are not reflected on the Mac library. This is a nuisance. It seems that the best solution is to revert the Mac version to 11.0, however I need to find a PVR build running 11.0 to achieve this.

Thus, we come to the actual query that I have. Is it possible to stop XBMC creating new databases when updating? Further to this, is it possible to point each installation to a specific database? I realise there is a risk of ruining the library, but I have other systems in place as it is to ensure this is never a huge problem (read: weekly backups).

Thanks for your help in advance. I promise that I hunted around the forums to find the answer, but I failed.
No you cannot stop this because the new database creation is done because of changes in the scheme.
Your Mac is running a nightly version and that why it has a higher db number.
Sharing between different XBMC is not advised.

Yes you can point each one to a specific library however that does not share them.
i had the same problem and had to find myself the reason, there is a lack of documentation about this (or at least it is not easy enogh to find)

i tried to fix the database in advancedsettings.xml but it dosn't work. if you configure it to (say) 'xbmc_video60', the nighty version will use 'xbmc_video6061' version (as example)

(2012-05-05, 20:30)barramundi Wrote: [ -> ]i had the same problem and had to find myself the reason, there is a lack of documentation about this (or at least it is not easy enogh to find)

i tried to fix the database in advancedsettings.xml but it dosn't work. if you configure it to (say) 'xbmc_video60', the nighty version will use 'xbmc_video6061' version (as example)

It does say in the MySQL (wiki) guide on the wiki "Requirements: These instructions require XBMC v11.". Nightly builds are "pre-v12". I will try to make the wording more clear, though.
Thanks everyone. I thought as much but figured it couldn't hurt asking. Will go find myself an 11.0 package for Mac.