Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Lag free, cheap remote for XBMC on Mac Mini
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi!

I am a total noob when it comes to XBMC, in fact, I'm installing it for the first time in an hour or so.

What I want to know is if there is any remote solution that works good with the Mac Mini and does not cost a fortune?
I've read about Harmony but it seems to be expensive and a bit overkill.
I would just like to have a remote for basic needs like, play, pause, volume, full screen, navigation and such.

Can I buy a flirc and use whatever IR controller I want? Or can I use the built in IR in the mini?
Will I experience lag?

Thanks in advance!
If you are using a mac mini with OSX, just get the apple remote. It works incredibly well, it's sleek, and anyone can pick it up and use it with no problems. It's beauty is in its minimalism. I switched to this from using smartphone remotes and haven't looked back. The remote will cost you 19$ at an apple store.

(2013-05-13, 20:26)msarro Wrote: [ -> ]If you are using a mac mini with OSX, just get the apple remote. It works incredibly well, it's sleek, and anyone can pick it up and use it with no problems. It's beauty is in its minimalism. I switched to this from using smartphone remotes and haven't looked back. The remote will cost you 19$ at an apple store.

Thanks for the answer!

Will it really do what I need or will I be sitting and pressing combinations? I like the design too, it's great really!
So out of the box, it will work just fine (select the default apple remote profile). However, if you sleep the system, when it wakes up itunes will take over control of the remote. So, install candlair which will fix that.

Otherwise, it does everything and should work right out of the box. Press and hold menu for context menu, press and hold the play/pause button for another context menu (depends on the plugin). Pressing and holding play/pause while a movie is playing will bring up the on screen display. The dpad is used to navigate and also control volume, fast forwarding, and skipping.

There's no combinations, just short press vs long press. My fiancee was able to use it with no explanation at all and she had no issues.

Also, make sure you set xbmc to allow the remote to start xbmc. Then all you have to do is hit a button on the remote and XBMC will launch. Also, you can suspend your mac, and hitting any button on the remote will wake it up.

For full screen, I always have XBMC set to full screen so I can't help too much there. You can change most of the settings for a video in the OSD, not sure if you can switch from full screen to windowed or not. I just use multiple desktops and always have XBMC running full screen on the first desktop (my mac mini's sole purpose is xbmc).
Have you considered using your phone with something like XBMC remote or Roomy? (Not as comfortable as a real remote but possibly more versatile and cheaper).
Personally i use official aluminium apple remote. I have also XBMC Commander on ipad mini which is the best app in my opinion. Tried some logitech stuff, but it s a pain in the ass to configure so i gavie it up
The standard apple remote and the xbmc commander are both excellent. I went from the apple remote to flirc, because I wanted to use one remote for everything and the other flexibility it gives regarding using apps other than xbmc, not to mention more buttons for xbmc itself.
(2013-05-14, 12:54)activate Wrote: [ -> ]The standard apple remote and the xbmc commander are both excellent. I went from the apple remote to flirc, because I wanted to use one remote for everything and the other flexibility it gives regarding using apps other than xbmc, not to mention more buttons for xbmc itself.

Ok, what remote do you use with Flirc then?
I too am on FLIRC and use a Harmony 990 and Roomy on my iPhone (whichever is closest to hand) but with Flirc any old remote with lots of buttons should do. It works flawlessly. The only problem I had was waking the Mini up.
(2013-05-14, 13:10)wannabeee Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-05-14, 12:54)activate Wrote: [ -> ]The standard apple remote and the xbmc commander are both excellent. I went from the apple remote to flirc, because I wanted to use one remote for everything and the other flexibility it gives regarding using apps other than xbmc, not to mention more buttons for xbmc itself.

Ok, what remote do you use with Flirc then?

Any remote will work with it. For me, the ideal one was my amp one. You can see my remote here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=146630
I have URC MX-810, just programmed it via its software to Mac remote, and it works just fine as a Mac remote. Simple as that.
It has all the same buttons, and they work in the same manner, press and hold have different actions... and that's all.
From my experience I would recommend a remote with numbers buttons so you can go directly to a certain letter. Very helpful with long lists.