Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: what android TV BOX to buy for xbmc??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hi

I am interested to buy a android TV BOX (with spdif output)

now i have the UHOST2 stick he is ok but i cant use the original XBMC only the XAF virsion (with MX player...)

Now is there a android device that can run the original XBMC without problames (with his player not the MX player)?

I read on devices on minix,pivos,G-Box Midnight MX2 ...wich is the best for XBMC

thanks
I just got this: http://www.energysistem.com/en/products/...ox/gallery
Will do some tests and write to you here.

S@
ouya + xbmc gotham alpha 1
I had the G-Box Midnight MX2 and wasn't impressed. It says it does 1080p,but does NOT. The interface seemed slow and sluggish to me. It would also freeze up alot.
(2013-07-14, 11:02)eskro Wrote: [ -> ]ouya + xbmc gotham alpha 1

eskro have you tried it?
what were your impressions?
(2013-07-14, 11:02)eskro Wrote: [ -> ]ouya + xbmc gotham alpha 1

I didn't think the ouya had an spdif output?

Of those android boxes which do have an spdif, they are mostly coax (requiring a 3.5mm mono jack to rca adapter), with only a few having optical spdif.
I bought the Pivos XIOS DS a week or so ago, updated to the newest ICS and XBMC nightly (made for the box). I gave it a chance, but it still has several bugs (worst one I experienced was that when running Spotify, it kept dropping my WiFi connection). I tried XBMC, which only runs smoothly with some of the lighter skins, and couldn't really get smooth video playback (even 720p was lagging a bit). Plus, the remote seems very cheap and makes clicking noises.

I didn't try it with OpenELEC or XBMCbuntu, but my advice would be to stay away from it if you want to run Android. The Ouya seems a bit better, though I haven't tried it. The way I see it, if you can live with the occasional bugs and kinda sluggish experience, by all means go for Android. But if you want a completely smooth experience where everything just works right outta the box, wait a year or two, or install OpenELEC.
Fanlesstech reported today..

Fanlesstech, Utilite Wrote:Cheap ARM boxes are everywhere, but most of them are underpowered Android TV dongles. Introducing Utilite, a very exciting and fully integrated ARM / Ubuntu PC.

Compulab (maker of the MintBox, Fit-PC, and Tegra-based Trim Slice) promises to deliver rich multimedia and PC-like user experience. Utilite will be available next month in single, dual, and quad core versions starting at $99.

✓ Freescale i.MX6 single / dual / quad core Cortex-A9 MPCore, up to 1.2GHz
✓ Ubuntu / Android options
✓ Up to 4GB DDR3-1066
✓ mSATA SSD, up to 512GB
✓ Micro-SD SDXC, up to 128GB
✓ Supports OpenGL ES 1.1 and 2.0, OpenVG 1.1 and OpenCL EP
✓ Supports multi-stream 1080p H.264, VC1, RV10, DivX HW decoding
✓ HDMI 1.4 up to 1920 x 1200 @ 60Hz
✓ DVI-D up to 1920 x 1200 @ 60Hz
✓ Two 1000 BaseT Ethernet
✓ 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi
✓ Bluetooth 3.0
✓ S/PDIF 5.1 (electrical through 3.5mm jack)
✓ Stereo line-out, Stereo line-in
✓ 4 x USB 2.0
✓ USB OTG (micro-USB connector)
✓ Two RS232 serial ports (ultra mini serial connector)
✓ 5.3″ x 3.9″ x 0.8″ 135mm x 100mm x 21mm
✓ Unregulated 10 to 16 volt input Power
✓ 3W - 8W power consumption (depending on system configuration and load)
...imo perfect as a HTPC with XBMC and together with the MOI DVB-S2 Streaming Box even with live TV.
(2013-07-15, 10:29)Hetoft Wrote: [ -> ]I bought the Pivos XIOS DS a week or so ago, updated to the newest ICS and XBMC nightly (made for the box). I gave it a chance, but it still has several bugs (worst one I experienced was that when running Spotify, it kept dropping my WiFi connection). I tried XBMC, which only runs smoothly with some of the lighter skins, and couldn't really get smooth video playback (even 720p was lagging a bit). Plus, the remote seems very cheap and makes clicking noises.

I didn't try it with OpenELEC or XBMCbuntu, but my advice would be to stay away from it if you want to run Android. The Ouya seems a bit better, though I haven't tried it. The way I see it, if you can live with the occasional bugs and kinda sluggish experience, by all means go for Android. But if you want a completely smooth experience where everything just works right outta the box, wait a year or two, or install OpenELEC.

Use the Pivos Linux FW and using an SD card for userdata (see Pivos forums for both). It makes a world of difference.
I have done that is still very sluggish.
Outside of the computer AppleTV 2 still for me and all the testing of all the boxes I've done running the best. I just got an Apple TV one with Broadcom chipset and I'm going to put that in there and test and see how that runs with openelec.
Hi,

I didn't want to start a new thread but basically i've been looking for an Android box to buy... was doing some research and stumbled upon this forum. I'm not looking to spend more than £100 (~$150) and after looking into everything i'm leaning towards the Ouya. I have no interest in the games but it looks like it runs well and does everything I want which is to play files from my external HDD and browse the internet. The only problem is the controller... is it possible to use my smartphone as a controller for Android and XBMC?

Also does the Ouya support the XMBC add-ons as I don't have an aerial in my room so would be nice to install FilmOn or something? I was looking at the G Box MX2 and I know you can install all sorts of add-ons on it but after reading reviews I was put off buying it!
Yes and yes
(2013-07-28, 21:21)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Yes and yes

OK thanks. Smile

I guess i'll give the Ouya a try then... ordering from Amazon so worst case scenario can return it!
Will the Ouya run heavy XBMC Skins like Aeon Nox ?
Yep
Pages: 1 2