Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Valve announces Linux-based Steam OS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Valve has announced the Steam operating system, the first of three planned announcements scheduled for this week. The operating system is based on the Linux kernel and designed for living rooms.

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

I wonder if we will see a version of XBMC on here? I think that would be pretty cool.
On my living room PC, I only run XBMC and Steam. This sounds like an amazing opportunity for integration. Good to see some serious R&D coming from the commercial sector, and that their goal is to maintain an open and accessible architecture for continued independent development.
Log onto Steam on the Living Room PC, search "XBMC" in Steam, install XBMC from the Steam store.... Dreams? Yea, they come true sometimes.

Now as long as game devs take this sign seriously (not like those speed limit signs for turnpike exits) and make more games compatible with Linux, then this is great news. But that is almost completely separate from getting a compatible XBMC build.

*EDIT*
I obviously didn't read the annoucement, or I would have noticed that it says it has built-in streaming from your gaming PC to the living room machine.
XBMC support will make or break Steam OS for me.

I love the idea though
Also, native netflix support will be required as well.
(2013-09-23, 20:28)Budwyzer Wrote: [ -> ]Log onto Steam on the Living Room PC, search "XBMC" in Steam, install XBMC from the Steam store.... Dreams? Yea, they come true sometimes.

This was immediately my dream as well. It would be wonderful to run steam and xbmc from the same htpc.
Since I built my HTPC last year and have been running OpenElec I have dreamed of a steam plugin for XBMC. After this mornings announce of SteamOS my 1st thought was "we need XBMC on SteamOS". Save people dual booting the HTPC. I'm sure if XBMC isn't in the cards I'm sure some good HTPC apps will be made as a native SteamOS feature or 3rd party program. That said XBMC would be the perfect fit in this household Smile
(2013-09-23, 22:13)EvilAaron Wrote: [ -> ]Since I built my HTPC last year and have been running OpenElec I have dreamed of a steam plugin for XBMC. After this mornings announce of SteamOS my 1st thought was "we need XBMC on SteamOS". Save people dual booting the HTPC. I'm sure if XBMC isn't in the cards I'm sure some good HTPC apps will be made as a native SteamOS feature or 3rd party program. That said XBMC would be the perfect fit in this household Smile

Ouch, I had this totally backwards. I was thinking to have XBMC as a startable program from within Steam, but I like your idea of a Steam plugin for XBMC. To have a game browser, like people have ROM browsers on their setups. This would actually be amazing because Big Picture mode on Steam is a resource hog for simply being a glorified file browser and I can't see it being any better on a stripped OS.
Image having a small HTPC like the nuc or such (would be awesome if they made an ARM version) with XBMC booting then launch steam Big Picture (Would want that over built in menu for social parts) and just stream the games from a gaming machine/server to any tv in the house. Makes be exited Smile
Very cool. I hope they intergrate WINE support so we can play old/non-linux steam games in an easy fashion. Plus this would allow them to gain traction with their OS - as much as I hate to say it steam Linux is very lacking compared to windows and there isn't much incentive to switch when I've got a great xbmc/steam setup already.

I think half life 3 (or another popular valve franchise)could be a Linux exclusive - that would get people using it.

EDIT: The line about 'thousands of games' in the press release gives hope that something like wine will be included.
My Ideal scenario is that I come home from work. I Switch on my HTPC that has "SteamOS" installed as it's main operating system and play a game of "DotA2". I Then win one match as Drow Ranger before getting the urge to watch me some "Star Trek: Into Darkness" in full 3D with full HD 7.1 sound. So I exit the game "DotA2" and navigate to the games/programs tab in "SteamOS" and click/push/select "XBMC" And low and behold, there is my lovely "XBMC" with the mighty "Aeon-Nox" theme in all the glory that to internets has provided.

The End.

If that happens. Microsoft is doomed in my household.
(2013-09-24, 05:52)Oddsodz Wrote: [ -> ]My Ideal scenario is that I come home from work. I Switch on my HTPC that has "SteamOS" installed as it's main operating system and play a game of "DotA2". I Then win one match as Drow Ranger before getting the urge to watch me some "Star Trek: Into Darkness" in full 3D with full HD 7.1 sound. So I exit the game "DotA2" and navigate to the games/programs tab in "SteamOS" and click/push/select "XBMC" And low and behold, there is my lovely "XBMC" with the mighty "Aeon-Nox" theme in all the glory that to internets has provided.

The End.

If that happens. Microsoft is doomed in my household.
Can't you do that now by starting steam from xbmc rather than starting xbmc from steamos?
Just had a read of the website on something thats not a phone and saw this:

Quote:You can play all your Windows and Mac games on your SteamOS machine, too. Just turn on your existing computer and run Steam as you always have - then your SteamOS machine can stream those games over your home network straight to your TV!

Sounds interesting, I may be able to play farcry 3 on a atom laptop running linux, but it looks like my windows gaming htpc isnt going to be replaced anytime soon - it just may become my 'gaming server'.
Y'know, I've always found it somewhat disheartening that the Steam guys have never contacted us about XBMC. One of the reasons I put XBMC on steam greenlight was to demonstrate how popular a feature it would be for the Valve crowd. To this day, I can't figure out if their lack of interest was because they're considering a competitor or because they just completely don't care about the media side of home media centers.

Meh. If this Steam distro ends up fairly popular and we end up supporting it, that'd be cool. But for now I still feel a tiny bit bitter.
Hopefully the improvements can be rolled into othe distributions, and that SteamOS isn't so customized that makes this impossible.

While being 'open' this product faces the same fears that Valve said about windows and could become a walled garden, where apps could only be purchased via steam. Not saying this will happen, but it is possible. Of course then it will be just another console using peoples PCs, with a free OS. We will see how open this is if Linux ever gains traction and see if Valve allows third party distributors to install clients on said machines.

I too would like to see a nice steam and xbmc product, rolled into something smooth, integrated (unlike Win8 metro/desktop) and easy to use, with the ability to play older PC games. Whether they accomplish this through Wine (for the older stuff) or streaming from my gaming pc, i don't really care, as long as it works. The streaming aspect is interesting as it can allow me to have a low power HTPC in the living room and a gaming PC stored somewhere where the noise will not bother anyone.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6