Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
you are welcome
Hi Fritsch,

I've asked for help few pages ago. Finally I've reinstalled ubuntu 14.04 LTS from scratch but still I have 6 - 8 FPS on 1080 mkv files.

Here are my new logs:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/11752220/
http://paste.ubuntu.com/11752221/
http://paste.ubuntu.com/11752222/
http://paste.ubuntu.com/11752223/
http://paste.ubuntu.com/11752262/

Hope you can help me to finally get things work.
Logs are fine.

Revisit with OpenELEC from a thumb drive. If you can change the UMA size in bios, set it to 512 MB.
@deadok Which kernel are you running? I get similar frame rates with the 3.19 and 4.0 series.
@VanillaXtract
about the kernels.. i run on an E350 board, i follow the mainstream kernels, im now at kernel 4.1.0-040100-generic which works fine, bet less cpu load aberage 15% load at 800Mhz compaired to 4.0rc3 i was running. 18% load avg.

but beware. if you going to use a 4.1 kernel, you must add the ppa. : deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kalon33/experim...uff/ubuntu utopic main
which uses libva 1.6.0~pre and mesa 10.4.2, so you can make use of some more advanced kernel things.. what.. google for it..

@deadok make also sure you dont forget to install linux-firmware
when i compair my log with yours the x11 log.
i your drivers there.
[ 24.071] (II) LoadModule: "ati"
[ 24.072] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ati_drv.so
[ 24.072] (II) Module ati: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 24.072] compiled for 1.16.0, module version = 7.4.0
[ 24.072] Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[ 24.072] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 18.0
[ 24.072] (II) LoadModule: "radeon"
[ 24.072] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.so
[ 24.080] (II) Module radeon: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 24.080] compiled for 1.16.0, module version = 7.4.0
[ 24.080] Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[ 24.080] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 18.0

compaired to what im loading :
[ 15.837] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ati_drv.so
[ 15.839] (II) Module ati: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 15.839] compiled for 1.15.1, module version = 7.3.0
[ 15.839] Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[ 15.839] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 15.0
[ 15.839] (II) LoadModule: "radeon"
[ 15.839] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.so
[ 15.852] (II) Module radeon: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 15.852] compiled for 1.15.1, module version = 7.3.0
[ 15.852] Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[ 15.853] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 15.0

so you are having a difference in the x11 environment, im having only libva-x11-1 1.6.0 from the ppa above and all the other x11 package are from ubuntu repo.
x11-common 1:7.7+1ubuntu8.1 and your running kernel : 3.16.0-41-generic
so i suggest try the following.

- upgrade the kernel to adviced version in the howto, first page on the bottem : kernel version 3.16.7-031607
or upgrade to an newer mainstream kernel, i suggest NOT 4.1, if your not good with linux. choose a 4.0 kernel or 3.19.

- check your x11 versions ( apt-cache policy x11-common )
and if needed, disable the ubuntu-updates and backportes repos and downgrade if needed some packages.

- other thing i experiance once, the vesa drivers in x11 ..
the fbdev and vesa driver in x11 make my kodi also slow.
so i uninstalled all xserver-xorg-video- drivers which i didnt need.
when i look with : dpkg -l | grep xserver-xorg-video
then this is my output, try removing all uneeded and restart kodi.

ii xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:7.3.0-1ubuntu3.1 amd64 X.Org X server -- AMD/ATI display driver wrapper
ii xserver-xorg-video-glamoregl 0.6.0-0ubuntu4 amd64 X.Org X server -- graphics acceleration module based on OpenGL
ii xserver-xorg-video-mach64 6.9.4-1build1 amd64 X.Org X server -- ATI Mach64 display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-r128 6.9.2-1build1 amd64 X.Org X server -- ATI r128 display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-radeon 1:7.3.0-1ubuntu3.1 amd64 X.Org X server -- AMD/ATI Radeon display driver

then the kernel to advice version in the first post.
and last the packages downgrade, which can be a bit harder to do, since i dont know whats more running..
one extra thing to mention, i rememeber something about a setting in kodi to disable extra monitor outputs.
with expert settings enable, system, video output.

im 100% sure 1 of above contains your solution, because i know your problem, i just dont remeber what exact was the fix, that was about 1 year ago..
and therefore try first disble the other video outputs and then with uninstalling unneeded xserver-xorg-video drivers which is the safest to do.
why would you need libva with radeon?
(2015-06-24, 08:06)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]why would you need libva with radeon?

the libva was installed as dependency of an other package so i just did leave it as is.
Hi guys. Thank you very much for your help.

Finally it works. It's strange what did the trick. I stopped running xrandr command on system start up to fix overscan and checked Blank other displays checkbox.

But it works and I'm happy Smile Thanks again.
Hi !
1st day with my new Kabini Box.
Tried Kodibuntu, had some issues, then tried this nice HowTo -exactly as it is written- (used latest trusty server.iso for installation).
I did not bother to edit the settings (part of step 2 in the HowTo) because kodi just won't run from the very beginning.
My box is not connected to a Monitor via HDMI but via DVI (I have to do the setup in a different location).

I read many posts of this thread, including the ones related to my issue (questions by m0nKeY answered by fritsch).
My issue is:
Kodi does not startup and complains that there is no openGL driver installed.
Because of the contents of the upstart script I realised I had to hook my box to a Display via HDMI which I did with the same result as before(!).
Probably You want to see logfiles for diagnosis, but before I post them I wanted to know if I have a general issue - maybe related to the Hardware (Kabini 5350 with R3 8400 APU).
I just tested the Box with OE 5.0.8 and everything seems to work fine.
I realized that OE uses a 3.17 Kernel while before I had 3.16.7 (this HowTo) and 3.13 (Kodibuntu).

One question: why do OE and Kodibuntu manage to display/run kodi without a HDMI connection and why is this obviously not possible with this "handmade" solution?

I want to add some additional server functions (e.g. time machine backups) to the ubuntu server which OE5 does not give me so easily, so I am interested in getting kodi running as described in this howto...
Yeah, before I even think of answering you - I need the logfiles from post 1.
not complete, but still something - I will fill up asap

dmesg: http://paste.ubuntu.com/11778651/
DISPLAY=:0 vdpauinfo had an empty file as a result
How about turning on the Display? To exactly see what additionally is not working?
It was turned on. The dmesg was recorded when it was connected via DVI.

As I mentioned, I tried several combinations:
DVI to DVI
HDMI to DVI (special cable)
HDMI via HDMI-hub to HDMI
HDMI directly to HDMI

The HDMi stuff was to a 65-inch screen.

I will try and get the Box attached to a proper TV via HDMI if that helps.
Upgrade the kernel if you don't get a picture at all. I thought you only get a problem when TV is off.
From the log, it rather seems you missed the step to reconfigure x11-common. The upstart log of the kodi job will tell more - but you need to post it.