Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Im looking at getting the current i3 model:

http://www.dabs.com/products/intel-wilso...0i3&src=16

It is currently priced £225.80 at Dabs. Can anyone tell me how well this currently runs xbmc via openelec?

I've gone through so many android / linux devices over the last year and currently find using xbmc via windows 8 on my i5 laptop so good. But don't want to continue plugging the laptop into the tv and out again.
(2014-01-20, 14:22)richiebrowns Wrote: [ -> ]Im looking at getting the current i3 model:

It is currently priced £225.80 at Dabs. Can anyone tell me how well this currently runs xbmc via openelec?

I've gone through so many android / linux devices over the last year and currently find using xbmc via windows 8 on my i5 laptop so good. But don't want to continue plugging the laptop into the tv and out again.

Keep on topic please for Haswell versions.

I started a new thread for the Wilson Canyon version here

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=183914
(2014-01-19, 09:59)gamble Wrote: [ -> ]Disabling WOL is no option for me since i wake the NUC only vial wake on lan..then i like it way better to shut down it twice...but with all nightlies r17xxx it keeps rebooting all time, the same for lmyllari patched build...no one else experiencing this..?

Yep, so I disabled WON. I don't use it. Not much help there but it fixed it for me Confused
(2014-01-20, 14:22)richiebrowns Wrote: [ -> ]Im looking at getting the current i3 model:

There are some glitches still, which I expect to be sorted out. I'm running the OpenELEC nightlies currently, that do fix several issues over the latest stable (This thread is full of information regarding that, read the latest 30 pages to get pretty up-to-date). I still haven't sorted out the wake up from S5 using the RTC, but other than that everything works nicely.

(2014-01-20, 14:57)zag Wrote: [ -> ]Keep on topic please for Haswell versions.

I started a new thread for the Wilson Canyon version here

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=183914

Umm.. That is the Haswell version? D34010WYB/WYK.
Ok thread deleted, since its still a haswell keep it in this thread Smile
has anyone been able to find the D34010WYKH in any retailers that ship to Canada?
Newegg,com has it but Newegg.ca won't tell me when they'll start carrying it...
I just want the ability to have 2 drives (msata SSD + 2.5" 1TB HDD)
If i pull the trigger on this D34010WYK will i be disappointed? Right now I have an older setup i built for xbmc. Seems like there are some sleep issues as well as RGB video issues still with this box? Is that correct? Would i be better off getting the older i3 (Red Model) 2012 instead? This box will just be playing media. It will not host any files. Not sure if either can play 4k whenever that format has been ironed out?
(2014-01-21, 01:59)dbldown768 Wrote: [ -> ]If i pull the trigger on this D34010WYK will i be disappointed? Right now I have an older setup i built for xbmc. Seems like there are some sleep issues as well as RGB video issues still with this box? Is that correct? Would i be better off getting the older i3 (Red Model) 2012 instead? This box will just be playing media. It will not host any files. Not sure if either can play 4k whenever that format has been ironed out?

No you wont be dissapointed, there are only minor issues left...playback works nearly perfekt with the latest OE Nightlies
and the shut down issue isnt that bad..just get used to shut it down twice for now Smile
(2014-01-20, 23:38)drsynister Wrote: [ -> ]has anyone been able to find the D34010WYKH in any retailers that ship to Canada?

I recommend this retailer -> http://www.tranquilpcshop.co.uk - excellent Fan-less chassis and custom Setup's
(look for the Abel H2 Series)

(2014-01-20, 14:22)richiebrowns Wrote: [ -> ]It is currently priced £225.80 at Dabs. Can anyone tell me how well this currently runs xbmc via openelec?

the new OpenELEC-Generic (x86_64) – r17009-gd6c28f3 runs on my i5 nearly perfect... some litte issues ...but all is User-fixable (in my opinion)
Yesterday, finally my Apple IR Remote works and I'm perfectly happy now Big Grin
Well, that was quite painless... I bought an Abel H I3 from Tranquil PC (as mentioned above), and got it all set up in less than an hour.

Using the latest OpenElec Gotham nightly. The only things I needed to do were the IR fix, and disable Wake-on-LAN (as described in the first post).

Now I don't have to get off my fat arse to switch the system on (my previous Revo D3700 wouldn't switch on via IR).

Great stuff Big Grin

(2014-01-21, 18:10)Plany Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-20, 23:38)drsynister Wrote: [ -> ]has anyone been able to find the D34010WYKH in any retailers that ship to Canada?

I recommend this retailer -> http://www.tranquilpcshop.co.uk - excellent Fan-less chassis and custom Setup's
(look for the Abel H2 Series)

Be aware that the lead time for systems is 4 weeks (20 working days)... a fact they omit to advertise on their website.
The Abel rocks Smile

Mines been perfect so far.
I just tried OpenElec installed on an USB 2.0 stick - it's that slow!!!

Whereas I don't feel any difference between any of my USB 3.0 Sticks and the built in SSD, the speed is much slower with USB 2.0.

Btw it's one of the faster 2.0 Sticks, with reading speeds of about 15 - 25 MB/sec (I forgot the exact value I once tested).

I would never have even tried this, if I didn't have so much trouble with recognising USB 3.0 sticks on the NUC. The sticks are only recognised optimistically in 1/4 of the time! The only way to fix this, is to pull the stick out and push it in again, than it's been recognised, but also not always!

This is sooooooooo anoying!

So, is this a Nuc HW issueHuh Can this be fixed with a FW updateHuh
Sounds like a problem with particular flash drive. I use these in the two i3 models I have OE running on and have never had an issue:

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-SDC...er+fit+8gb
(2014-01-18, 16:20)rampagl Wrote: [ -> ]Hi everybody,
i read the whole discussion but i've still some doubt, please need an help..

I need a new one htpc to run all my 1080p films from ny NAS in my living room and i was thinking about buying this i3 haswell NUC (D34010WYK), but it's not so simple.....
some point:
- use xbmc to run all my films from NAS
- use windows (i really don't want but seems to be the only solution because openelec doesn't support silverlight) to run SKY GO for football live

anyone tried to see SKY GO with this NUC??
anyway, the first problem is that i need to switch different resolutions between xbmc (1080p) and win for SKY GO (720p because higher the quality is bad) how can i doHuh

second problem: i think that 4gb ram and a 32 gb mSATA SSD could be enough, recommendHuh?

third problem: what remoteHuh??

Thank you for your attention and I hope that the post can be of help to someone in the future.. especially for using SKY GO...

(2014-01-18, 16:57)micoba Wrote: [ -> ]I recommend Win 8.1 - 4Gb Ram and a 32Gb msata ssd are enough. I just switched to 8Gb cause I have this strange "not enough ram" problem which still occurs with 8Gb (I never really thought I didn't have enough ram, but I wanted to rule out damaged ram).

I don't use Sky Go, though I could try it if I find the time.

The i3 is powerful enough for everything, as long as you don't want to play emulated / Steam games. But even with an i5 it's not nearly perfect, though absolutely playable (ok, depends on the games, of course).

Thanks!!!
what ssd do you haveHuh

and what about the remote?? i need a remote with keypad and trackball or something similar... possibly that works with tv and my yamaha yht-499 (home theater...

Smile
I just ordered this box (i3 haswell). It will be delivered tomorrow and I plan on throwing OpenELEC on this thing. I assume I just need the 'Intel Build version? After installed, looks like i have to make the IR fix in the autostart.sh. Any other tips?