Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2014-04-08, 07:34)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-08, 00:54)WilliamG Wrote: [ -> ]Does the 4400 pass 24p correctly? I mean REALLY correctly? I would like perfect 23.976hz playback if I go down this road... Thanks.

Also, how quiet is the NUC, if you're sensitive to noise and sit just a couple feet from it? It will just be used for watching 1080p/720p/24 material.

Yes 100%. Remember to "pass" that mode correctly, all your Output devices need to be able to do it (AMP, TV, ...) - you won't believe it, but there are TVs out there that especially with that "200 hz" features calc in between images that introduce hard stutter - so handle the TV "marketing settings" with care.

Thank you. Just picked up the i3 tonight for $259.99. Have RAM arriving tomorrow since my 1.5v chips won't work. Boo!

Thanks again.
Question: What settings need to be enabled in XBMC for "pure" 24p from the Haswell NUC?
(2014-04-08, 12:00)WilliamG Wrote: [ -> ]Question: What settings need to be enabled in XBMC for "pure" 24p from the Haswell NUC?

With openelec I only set Adjust display refresh rate to match video

Of course you have to own an av receiver or a tv that can run with 24p

With frodo I had few stuttering. With Gotham all is perfect.
Could anyone tell me where to find the "Update" folder to add a .tar file to install a new nightly build?
Also, I did my first install using a nightly build, and now that beta 4 is out, how would I install it without doing a clean install?
Thanks as always
(2014-04-08, 14:21)frarev Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-08, 12:00)WilliamG Wrote: [ -> ]Question: What settings need to be enabled in XBMC for "pure" 24p from the Haswell NUC?

Thank you. I hope it works. Just waiting for RAM to show up today. Smile
@herbieUK:
I think that you are on the wrong thread here. This is NUC Haswell thread.
I belive that you have even missed forum here.
I'm using OpenElec on my i5 NUC

(2014-04-08, 18:15)Crssi Wrote: [ -> ]@herbieUK:
I think that you are on the wrong thread here. This is NUC Haswell thread.
I belive that you have even missed forum here.
Exactly, so go to OpenElec forum. Wink
The update folder is /storage/.update. note the dot as in dotupdate. That makes it hidden, but ls -a will reveal it.
Thanks Nickr!
Using Cyberduck (OSX FTP programme) there wasn't a .update folder there - I could see the other hidden folders like .cache .config .xbmc etc.
I created one with a dot before "update" and put the .tar file inside, rebooted and it's updated fine.
Am considering the i5 NUC (D54250WYK). Am I correct in thinking that I can connect a USB 2.0 hub with a usb 3.0 cable from the NUC and my usb 2.0 external drives will work properly?
Also, connect my HDMI 1.3a receiver with the 1.4 mini cable from the NUC?
(2014-04-08, 22:59)gcdlz Wrote: [ -> ]Am considering the i5 NUC (D54250WYK). Am I correct in thinking that I can connect a USB 2.0 hub with a usb 3.0 cable from the NUC and my usb 2.0 external drives will work properly?
No need for a USB 3.0 cable. The USB 3.0 sockets on the NUC are compatible with USB 2.0 cables, so you can plug in your USB 2.0 hub with a USB 2.0 cable into the NUC and it will work fine. USB 3.0 sockets on PCs are backwards compatible with USB 2.0 plugs on devices.

I plugged my Apple keyboard (which uses a standard USB 2.0 connector and has a USB 2.0 hub built in) into the NUC with no problem (and plugged my mouse into the integrated hub)

Quote:Also, connect my HDMI 1.3a receiver with the 1.4 mini cable from the NUC?

Yes. HDMI 1.4 is backwards compatible. You'll either need a Mini HDMI adaptor or a cable with a Mini HDMI plug to connect to the NUC. (There isn't a difference between HDMI 1.3a and HDMI 1.4 cables and connectors - it's just that HDMI 1.4 has a wider range of signal formats - i.e. higher pixel clocks - that can be supported if connected to HDMI 1.4 compatible kit. If connected to earlier versions of HDMI equipment it copes fine.)
(2014-04-08, 18:13)WilliamG Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-08, 14:21)frarev Wrote: [ -> ]

Thank you. I hope it works. Just waiting for RAM to show up today. Smile

Which xbmc Will you install ? Windows ? Openelec ?
Thanks for your reply, information was very helpful.

(2014-04-08, 23:38)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-08, 22:59)gcdlz Wrote: [ -> ]Am considering the i5 NUC (D54250WYK). Am I correct in thinking that I can connect a USB 2.0 hub with a usb 3.0 cable from the NUC and my usb 2.0 external drives will work properly?
No need for a USB 3.0 cable. The USB 3.0 sockets on the NUC are compatible with USB 2.0 cables, so you can plug in your USB 2.0 hub with a USB 2.0 cable into the NUC and it will work fine. USB 3.0 sockets on PCs are backwards compatible with USB 2.0 plugs on devices.

I plugged my Apple keyboard (which uses a standard USB 2.0 connector and has a USB 2.0 hub built in) into the NUC with no problem (and plugged my mouse into the integrated hub)

Quote:Also, connect my HDMI 1.3a receiver with the 1.4 mini cable from the NUC?

Yes. HDMI 1.4 is backwards compatible. You'll either need a Mini HDMI adaptor or a cable with a Mini HDMI plug to connect to the NUC. (There isn't a difference between HDMI 1.3a and HDMI 1.4 cables and connectors - it's just that HDMI 1.4 has a wider range of signal formats - i.e. higher pixel clocks - that can be supported if connected to HDMI 1.4 compatible kit. If connected to earlier versions of HDMI equipment it copes fine.)
Hey guys, got my RAM for my i3 NUC today. XBMC/Plex works great, but I'm having huuuuuuge amounts of trouble getting my Harmony Ultimate to work. I have (by default) all the "regular" buttons working great - up/down/play/stop etc. But I can't get the "Info" button to be like pressing "I" on the keyboard to bring up the video information etc.

Does anyone have any tips on this? I had it working on my Mac just fine, but for some reason I can't seem to get anything to work on the Harmony aside from the default buttons that worked "out of the box."

Thanks in advance!

*Got it working*

Some help from here...

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/4...n-windows/

And... here...

http://andreperusse.com/be/post/2014/02/...ntrol.aspx

Combination of both sites got me running!

Now I just have ONE question remaining...