Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I just got my Intel NUC up and running today, and 24p works PERFECTLY (so far), except for ONE issue. If I fast forward a 24p movie, and then start playing again, after maybe 5-6 seconds, the movie sort of... skips for a second, almost like it needed to do that to figure itself out. After that it's just fine, but if there's a way to avoid that "figuring itself out," that would be great.

Any ideas why it's doing this?
(2014-04-06, 23:56)frarev Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-06, 22:07)ecotechhome Wrote: [ -> ]I have just assembled a D54250WYK with 4gb Kingston ram and a 60 gb msata hd. I decided to go for the i5 in case I later wanted to run Windows but for now just XBMCbuntu. I have installed XBMCbuntu 12.2 Intel-Nvidia. Everything seams to work OK until I try to play a movie and then the video stutters and there is no sound. The only way to get the sound back is to reboot and restart my amp. I also have an issue with the lack of remote, I have tried a Cyberlink MCE compatible remote but get no response to any button pushes.

Why don't you use openelec ? Last Gotham beta works perfectly with the intel nuc. Smooth display. No stuttering. Audio passtrough and perfect 24p synchronization for me.

Ended up using XBMCbuntu 13 Gotham beta and this has cured all except the remote. I have ditched the cyberlink and got hold of a Sony MCE remote which starts the Nuc from off but then does nothing once XBMC starts?
Hey guys:

I have a really urgent request. I didn't even think to test audio properly on my new NUC. I find that I can't get DTS HD MA to work from it. It "says" it's doing DTS HD MA, and my receiver says it's receiving DTS HD MA, but the info inside Plex or XBMC Gotham (newest nightly) says it's just the core 1536kbps track from the original audio.

Is there something I'm missing?

It looks like this:

(2014-04-09, 21:33)ecotechhome Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-06, 23:56)frarev Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-06, 22:07)ecotechhome Wrote: [ -> ]I have just assembled a D54250WYK with 4gb Kingston ram and a 60 gb msata hd. I decided to go for the i5 in case I later wanted to run Windows but for now just XBMCbuntu. I have installed XBMCbuntu 12.2 Intel-Nvidia. Everything seams to work OK until I try to play a movie and then the video stutters and there is no sound. The only way to get the sound back is to reboot and restart my amp. I also have an issue with the lack of remote, I have tried a Cyberlink MCE compatible remote but get no response to any button pushes.

Why don't you use openelec ? Last Gotham beta works perfectly with the intel nuc. Smooth display. No stuttering. Audio passtrough and perfect 24p synchronization for me.

Ended up using XBMCbuntu 13 Gotham beta and this has cured all except the remote. I have ditched the cyberlink and got hold of a Sony MCE remote which starts the Nuc from off but then does nothing once XBMC starts?

Are you cycling the remote driver like it says to in the first post?
Quote:The solution posted was to do the following at boot time on Linux. I put these commands in the /etc/rc.d/boot.local file and IR started working.

modprobe -r nuvoton-cir
echo "auto" > /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530:00/physical_node/resources
modprobe nuvoton-cir
(2014-04-10, 03:07)WilliamG Wrote: [ -> ]Hey guys:

I have a really urgent request. I didn't even think to test audio properly on my new NUC. I find that I can't get DTS HD MA to work from it. It "says" it's doing DTS HD MA, and my receiver says it's receiving DTS HD MA, but the info inside Plex or XBMC Gotham (newest nightly) says it's just the core 1536kbps track from the original audio.

It looks like this:
Missing? Yeah, you are missing a debug log, identification of what OS you are running, and mediainfo output on the file you are playing.

The screenie shows DTS-MA doesn't it?

Oh, and it really ain't that urgent.
(2014-04-10, 04:21)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-10, 03:07)WilliamG Wrote: [ -> ]Hey guys:

It looks like this:
Missing? Yeah, you are missing a debug log, identification of what OS you are running, and mediainfo output on the file you are playing.

The screenie shows DTS-MA doesn't it?

Oh, and it really ain't that urgent.

I should have clarified. I had a friend come over who's interested in the whole HTPC business, and I wanted to be able to show him everything working and sell him on the idea of XBMC etc. Alas, I could not, as to me it appears that XBMC is *likely* the problem here, so he remains (as he has done for many years now) unconvinced by the idea of an HTPC.

Anyway, Windows 7 is my OS, and any and ALL DTS HD MA video files show the same thing as my screenshot. Interestingly, Dolby True HD is reporting correctly. It's just the DTS HD files that don't.

My request is whether anyone can show me info during their movie that shows something different to what I see. I'm guessing it's just XBMC not displaying correctly, but that's just a guess...
Yes - that's not a problem. FFmpeg cannot decode DTS-HD-MA for now and therefore the Core is displayed - don't mind as it is obviously passthroughed correctly.
(2014-04-10, 08:04)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Yes - that's not a problem. FFmpeg cannot decode DTS-HD-MA for now and therefore the Core is displayed - don't mind as it is obviously passthroughed correctly.

OK, brilliant. Thanks.
Btw. as a test:

Disable DTS-HD and keep only DTS - you hear the difference? Or you don't?
(2014-04-10, 08:34)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Btw. as a test:

Disable DTS-HD and keep only DTS - you hear the difference? Or you don't?

I maybe hear a difference. Difficult to say. The core track at 1.5mbit is pretty decent anyway. Big Grin I tell myself there's just *more* to the HD track. Sounds more...spacious, - is the best way I can describe it. Some movies are more easy to tell than others. I ripped Frozen from my Blu-ray to my Mac mini (which could only play the core track), and the difference between the core 1.5Mbit and the DTS MA track was obvious to me during the end-credits song.

I know some people will say BS, but in a blind test I picked out the DTS MA track every time. The wife was impressed. Big Grin Of course, some movies will be much harder to tell a difference, especially when there's no music etc involved.

I like the new "Keep Audio Device Alive" setting in XBMC Gotham. I hope Plex gets it soon, since it's annoying to pause/resume a movie and have no audio for quite a few seconds..
And now the next test: Disable passthrough completely and set your speakers to 5.1 - what do you hear now? (Keep the volume of xbmc on 1.0)
(2014-04-10, 09:00)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]And now the next test: Disable passthrough completely and set your speakers to 5.1 - what do you hear now? (Keep the volume of xbmc on 1.0)

I think I tested that, and it sounded the same as DTS HD... As I recall. The receiver just said it was receiving PCM (I think...).

I just thought it was odd that when passing through DTS HD, there's no way to know if it's playing the core track or the HD track without looking at the receiver. Is this going to be fixed?
if core: DTS on the display if DTS-HD DTS-HD-MA on the avr display.

If you don't hear a difference -> no need for either. Best video / audio sync you get with passthrough completely disabled, Video Clock and resample Audio.

xbmc logfile tells if you see it opening 8 channels RAW, RAW, RAW, RAW, RAW, RAW, RAW, RAW then it's DTS-HD or TrueHD if you only see RAW, RAW then it's AC3, DTS or EAC3 :-)
(2014-04-10, 09:13)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]if core: DTS on the display if DTS-HD DTS-HD-MA on the avr display.

If you don't hear a difference -> no need for either. Best video / audio sync you get with passthrough completely disabled, Video Clock and resample Audio.

xbmc logfile tells if you see it opening 8 channels RAW, RAW, RAW, RAW, RAW, RAW, RAW, RAW then it's DTS-HD or TrueHD if you only see RAW, RAW then it's AC3, DTS or EAC3 :-)

Resampling the audio though is ... resampling the audio. You might get better a/v sync, but then the audio is... resampled! Big Grin

I do notice the sound is differently synced with the video depending on the audio. AC3 5.1 is perfectly in sync. DTS 5.1 is "pretty much" dead on (give or take 25-50ms), whereas DTS HD MA is off sync by about 100-125ms.
Let's assume your video and audio are not perfectly in sync, cause of minimal differences in video clock, cause of latencies in the video material itself - we think of only 3 seconds are wrong within 90 minutes.

3 seconds are 3000 ms - so audio and video will slowly diverge over time.

In passthrough case, we only can drop or dupe, which means we can add an additional 32 ms package or we remove one 32 ms package - that will do "ckrrrrrch" or "click". That will happen perhaps 10 times during that playback time, let's assume 5 times add (you don't hear) and five times drop. So 5 clicks during the movie.

Now with resample, there are ten occasions of 32 ms time, where audio is "shortly resampled" - you won't even realize that :-) I am sure.

Before I forget: http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html :-)