Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2014-06-16, 17:16)jdoggvt Wrote: [ -> ]I only have a D34010WYK so I'm not really sure about that. This was definitely an issue with this NUC though since I just swapped out the HTPCs, didn't change anything else, and the 24p option disappeared. Maybe in future bios/driver updates they'll fix this but for now the minidisplay port instead of mini hdmi with custom resolution added works for me.

That does not make much sense, since this NUC is widely reported to be the first to do true 23.976 and many people have reported that this works properly. I suspect something in your setup is causing trouble. Perhaps if you are connecting NUC via another HDMI device like an AVR it is mashing the available screen resolutions for HDMI.
I agree it's odd. Per the 'old' xbmc log, my HTPC with ATI graphics had 24p without me having to do anything at all. My AVR, TV, cables, etc. are all identical and plugged into the same ports so they can't be the problem. Since the only thing that has changed is the addition of the NUC that, or at least the onboard HDMI, has to be the issue.
(2014-06-16, 18:11)jdoggvt Wrote: [ -> ]I agree it's odd. Per the 'old' xbmc log, my HTPC with ATI graphics had 24p without me having to do anything at all. My AVR, TV, cables, etc. are all identical and plugged into the same ports so they can't be the problem. Since the only thing that has changed is the addition of the NUC that, or at least the onboard HDMI, has to be the issue.

You can poll XBMC for the supported resolutions it is getting at initialization and post that here, that would help with understanding what the issue is.

It should not be necessary to use the mini display port, but if that's working then I guess maybe not worth it on your end to futz around with it.
(2014-06-16, 17:16)jdoggvt Wrote: [ -> ]I only have a D34010WYK so I'm not really sure about that. This was definitely an issue with this NUC though since I just swapped out the HTPCs, didn't change anything else, and the 24p option disappeared. Maybe in future bios/driver updates they'll fix this but for now the minidisplay port instead of mini hdmi with custom resolution added works for me.

i get these modes:

20:08:22 T:3632 NOTICE: Found screen: Generic PnP Monitor on Intel® HD Graphics Family, adapter 0.
20:08:22 T:3632 NOTICE: Primary mode: 1920x1080@ 59.94 - Full Screen
20:08:23 T:3632 NOTICE: Additional mode: 1920x1080@ 23.98 - Full Screen
20:08:23 T:3632 NOTICE: Additional mode: 1920x1080@ 24.00 - Full Screen
20:08:23 T:3632 NOTICE: Additional mode: 1920x1080@ 25.00 - Full Screen
20:08:23 T:3632 NOTICE: Additional mode: 1920x1080@ 29.97 - Full Screen
20:08:23 T:3632 NOTICE: Additional mode: 1920x1080@ 30.00 - Full Screen
20:08:23 T:3632 NOTICE: Additional mode: 1920x1080@ 50.00 - Full Screen
20:08:23 T:3632 NOTICE: Additional mode: 1920x1080@ 25.00i - Full Screen
20:08:23 T:3632 NOTICE: Additional mode: 1920x1080@ 59.94 - Full Screen
20:08:23 T:3632 NOTICE: Additional mode: 1920x1080@ 29.97i - Full Screen
20:08:23 T:3632 NOTICE: Additional mode: 1920x1080@ 60.00 - Full Screen
20:08:23 T:3632 NOTICE: Additional mode: 1920x1080@ 30.00i - Full Screen

d34010wykh, win7 x64, driver 10.18.10.3621, connected to samsung ue40es6100 through denon avr-2113
I have a fairly odd setup, I'll admit. I have to use an HDMI to Component adapter due to how my house was wired. It's just odd that my 5+ year old ATI graphics card had the necessary refresh rates 'out of the box' and the NUC needed some coaxing. I'm certainly not trying to dissuade anyone from purchasing the D34010WYK, cause it's great, I just wanted to post my solution in case anyone else had a similar issue.
(2014-06-16, 23:52)jdoggvt Wrote: [ -> ]I have a fairly odd setup, I'll admit. I have to use an HDMI to Component adapter due to how my house was wired. It's just odd that my 5+ year old ATI graphics card had the necessary refresh rates 'out of the box' and the NUC needed some coaxing. I'm certainly not trying to dissuade anyone from purchasing the D34010WYK, cause it's great, I just wanted to post my solution in case anyone else had a similar issue.

HDMI to component sounds all kind of nasty. The real question would be if you ran HDMI direct would it work.
Hi, I'm considering NUC i5 for HTPC. I heard that Intel has some problem supporting 0-255 (full range RGB) over HDMI, is there a solution/workaround to this problem?
Another question, do you guys see colour banding when you play, for example, a greyscale test patter like the following image:

http://www.drycreekphoto.com/images/cali...adient.png

It is a problem with my AMD HD5770 graphics card today, because it doesn't output 0-255, and when it expands the luma range from video (16-235) to 0-255, it introduces a banding. In the movie it is very noticable when the light transit from bright to dark, and I hope NUC has a better solution to that.
(2014-06-17, 00:37)voip-ninja Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-06-16, 23:52)jdoggvt Wrote: [ -> ]I have a fairly odd setup, I'll admit. I have to use an HDMI to Component adapter due to how my house was wired. It's just odd that my 5+ year old ATI graphics card had the necessary refresh rates 'out of the box' and the NUC needed some coaxing. I'm certainly not trying to dissuade anyone from purchasing the D34010WYK, cause it's great, I just wanted to post my solution in case anyone else had a similar issue.

HDMI to component sounds all kind of nasty. The real question would be if you ran HDMI direct would it work.

No I think the real question is why one video card works with the hardware and one doesn't.
(2014-06-17, 13:12)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-06-17, 00:37)voip-ninja Wrote: [ -> ]

No I think the real question is why one video card works with the hardware and one doesn't.

HDMI is digital and component video is analog so this is not a simple case of an adapter cable. HDMI to component requires a full digital converter and all of the potential issues such as HDMI handshake problems, HDCP problems etc. the other video card might simply work because it is older and less strict with HDCP. Frankly I would rewire with HDMI myself but it is not my house.
(2014-06-17, 14:32)voip-ninja Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-06-17, 13:12)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-06-17, 00:37)voip-ninja Wrote: [ -> ]HDMI to component sounds all kind of nasty. The real question would be if you ran HDMI direct would it work.

HDMI is digital and component video is analog so this is not a simple case of an adapter cable. HDMI to component requires a full digital converter and all of the potential issues such as HDMI handshake problems, HDCP problems etc. the other video card might simply work because it is older and less strict with HDCP. Frankly I would rewire with HDMI myself but it is not my house.

nickr - that's what I'd like to know as well

voip-ninja - I do use an adapter, not an HDMI-Component cable since that probably wouldn't work at all. I've contacted the manufacturer and they stated the device doesn't have any issues with HDMI 1.4a and when I did use the minihdmi videos played just fine at 50hz and 60hz, I just couldn't get it to do 24p without some black line issues. I didn't have a problem with audio or HDMI handshake with either my ATI graphics or NUC and my forced 24p setting works just fine now via minidisplayport. I'd love to rewire everything with HDMI but the wife has a problem with me cutting holes all over the place Smile
(2014-06-17, 15:36)jdoggvt Wrote: [ -> ]I'd love to rewire everything with HDMI but the wife has a problem with me cutting holes all over the place Smile

That's why I installed a pipe from my media closet to the TV, that way when technology changes, I just yank out from one end and attach new the other end. No more going in the attic for me.
Smile
(2014-06-17, 12:29)somy Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, I'm considering NUC i5 for HTPC. I heard that Intel has some problem supporting 0-255 (full range RGB) over HDMI, is there a solution/workaround to this problem?
Another question, do you guys see colour banding when you play, for example, a greyscale test patter like the following image:

http://www.drycreekphoto.com/images/cali...adient.png

It is a problem with my AMD HD5770 graphics card today, because it doesn't output 0-255, and when it expands the luma range from video (16-235) to 0-255, it introduces a banding. In the movie it is very noticable when the light transit from bright to dark, and I hope NUC has a better solution to that.

Sorry I forgot to mention that I plan to use Windows OS - if it matters......
Any hint?
No hint needed. I have NUC i5. In this thread you can read my history posts and you will see that I am very fast annoyed with wrong colors and banding.

There was a huge problem, but it is history now.
Thanx to iminary and fritch also work under OE.
Works like a charm on OE or Win. Go for it.

Just for info:
I have got Cuboxi for testing from my friend. Very promising piece of HW and powerfull.
It could be that it will be NUC killer for XBMC use.
BUT: there we go again... Banding problems as they were on NUC under linux. So no go before sorted out.
(2014-06-17, 18:59)Crssi Wrote: [ -> ]No hint needed. I have NUC i5. In this thread you can read my history posts and you will see that I am very fast annoyed with wrong colors and banding.

There was a huge problem, but it is history now.
Thanx to iminary and fritch also work under OE.
Works like a charm on OE or Win. Go for it.

Just for info:
I have got Cuboxi for testing from my friend. Very promising piece of HW and powerfull.
It could be that it will be NUC killer for XBMC use.
BUT: there we go again... Banding problems as they were on NUC under linux. So no go before sorted out.
Thank you for the reply! I'm not good at searching in this forum, can you tell me what solves the problem or maybe a link to the solution?
Cuboxi looks very interesting, does it support bitstream HD audio tracks and change refresh rate to match FPS?
(2014-06-17, 20:28)somy Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for the reply! I'm not good at searching in this forum, can you tell me what solves the problem or maybe a link to the solution?
Cuboxi looks very interesting, does it support bitstream HD audio tracks and change refresh rate to match FPS?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1736278