Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2013-11-21, 02:27)Selene Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone managed to figure out why the power button no longer works when you press it? Mine only responses to my remote now. I'm not too worried but it is going to be rather annoying down the line if I need to start without a remote?
My Power button works fine. i3 Haswell NUC.

I haven't touched any Bios settings.

For shutdown, I do need to do it twice from XBMC, as others have reported.
(2013-11-21, 02:28)Alchete Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-21, 02:27)Selene Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone managed to figure out why the power button no longer works when you press it? Mine only responses to my remote now. I'm not too worried but it is going to be rather annoying down the line if I need to start without a remote?

I am going to return my nuc for a new one because my power button has stopped. I cant image why else it would just quit like that other then hardware failure.

Ernie
Is it fair to say that openelec on this new nuc is still 'broken' in so far as getting proper display with hardware acceleration is concerned?

I was about to hit the purchase button and buy a new Haswell nuc for OpenELEC but all these posts on the black crush issue and having to run in software decode mode are turning me off...
(2013-11-21, 02:28)Alchete Wrote: [ -> ]

My button doesn't work AND my remote doesn't work for power on. I can only power on through wol so I'm just not shutting down for now.

I'll update to bios 0021 tonight and see if I can get power on capabilities back.
Edit: I should've been more clear: I am running bios 0021.

But, I have not changed any S4/S5 settings or other inner workings.

Power button turns on my i3 Haswell NUC just fine.
(2013-11-21, 02:16)Alchete Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-21, 01:26)Ravetrancer Wrote: [ -> ]I did enable expert settings but there is no Frame Multi Threaded Decoding, exactly between which options is it located under Playback?
RT, you need to be running the latest daily build, also as linked at the top of the instructions.

The multithreading option is only available in this build.

- Use the Nov. 20 Generic build here (x64): http://sources.openelec.tv/tmp/image/Ope...r16406.tar

I dont know if i get what u mean.
I installed the 16406 and then copied the codes to autostart.sh just like u wrote in ur post.
(2013-11-19, 23:29)Selene Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-19, 20:56)Crssi Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-19, 20:54)Selene Wrote: [ -> ]I think my windows issue was related to an addon. It seems to be working now.. Smile

Great to hear you have sorted out.
It might that I am getting SSD tomorrow, and I can do a test with Win. Which versions of Win did you try, and which is best for the porpuose?

I ran Windows 7 SP1.. worked off the bat, but I think 8.1 is probably better, if you can get it. There's a weird green line in the minimized video overlay (4:3) mode but not present in fullscreen that happens in Win7 but not in 8.

Otherwise I imagine they're very similar. Note that I did use XBMCLauncher, and I edited a ton of stuff, for example, I made sleep shutdown by editing registry keys, and I also replaced the bootloader, and messages using ResHacker.

Good luck
(2013-11-21, 03:52)Ravetrancer Wrote: [ -> ]I dont know if i get what u mean.
I installed the 16406 and then copied the codes to autostart.sh just like u wrote in ur post.
I updated the original post with an image showing where to enable the software multithreading option: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1554935

Good luck!
Working on mine now, Linux Mint 15 installs fine but afterwards it cannot boot from the SSD - no boot device found. Argh! BIOS sees the SSD as a legacy boot device so hardware is good and booting from a USB stick I can see the files on the HDD. Tried LVM and a standard install. May try Ubuntu next or Kubuntu - I really hate the new Gnome interface though <sigh>

P.S. Mint 14 also won't see the SSD to boot nor will 12.04 LTS Ubuntu. Really puzzled, the files are there when I boot from USB and examine the drive. Very strange...

Got it with Ubuntu 12.04LTS - you have to rebuild Grub AFTER the full install. Boot to the stick a second time and follow these instructions -> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair I'm going to try this with Mint 15 now.
(2013-11-21, 03:00)Dropbear67 Wrote: [ -> ]Is it fair to say that openelec on this new nuc is still 'broken' in so far as getting proper display with hardware acceleration is concerned?
As broken as all hardware with Intel GPUs. There is a driver issue preventing proper colors on HD material when hardware decoding is used.

Another way to look at it is that Haswell is the only thing with proper 23.976Hz output and it has enough power for software decoding (except the i3 for 3D, not sure about i5). There should be no quality issues when set up properly.

I'm pretty sure hardware decoding is going to be fixed soon too. The driver is open source.. Tongue
(2013-11-21, 05:25)lmyllari Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-21, 03:00)Dropbear67 Wrote: [ -> ]Is it fair to say that openelec on this new nuc is still 'broken' in so far as getting proper display with hardware acceleration is concerned?
As broken as all hardware with Intel GPUs. There is a driver issue preventing proper colors on HD material when hardware decoding is used.

Another way to look at it is that Haswell is the only thing with proper 23.976Hz output and it has enough power for software decoding (except the i3 for 3D, not sure about i5). There should be no quality issues when set up properly.

I'm pretty sure hardware decoding is going to be fixed soon too. The driver is open source.. Tongue

That's really disappointing..

if the driver is open sourced and should be fixed soon, why hasn't it been fixed with the previous gen nucs?? Sad

I can imagine running in software rending would make the thing run hotter and the fan constantly spin faster ?
(2013-11-21, 06:22)Dropbear67 Wrote: [ -> ]That's really disappointing..

if the driver is open sourced and should be fixed soon, why hasn't it been fixed with the previous gen nucs?? Sad
Because you haven't submitted a patch. Really this is open source - developers scratch itches, maybe the developer doesn't watch movies and isn't interested?
Anyone else expiriencing the same with ur Library, if u add a movie it wont show up under XBMC,
somehow (in the newest Nightly) the Movie-Update Scraper doesnt work for me.

I already tried erasing my old NFS Mount and started new, i can add my NAS Server
and everything goes fine until the Scraper comes into play, i can start it but it wont start searching for Meta´s,
so i had to flash back to 9th Nov. Daily, threre it works...
Audio Scraper still works, just Movies wont show up..

SO everytime i now add a new movie i have to flash back, update the library and then update again argh..

On my I3 Nuc the Power Button also works fine, as said Power is enough even thru Softwaredecoding,
i dont see/heaer the fan going faster then before (VA-API activ.)
(2013-11-20, 19:56)Alchete Wrote: [ -> ]I assume you're trying to build the driver/shader assembly directly in OpenELEC? Can you give a link to the source code and the steps you've taken to build it?
https://github.com/laurimyllari/OpenELEC...50008bf0f2

There's the workaround if you're feeling adventurous. It switches to BT.709 coefficients, so HD is now fine, but SD has slightly messed up colors.
So u can now use VA-API with right colors? That´s awesome, but this is starting to get way beyond my horizon of understanding this :/
I absolutely dont watch SD Stuff on my Nuc so this solution would be totally enough for me, but i have no clue how to get there :/