Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can you buy the board on it's own without Intel's case?
How is the noise of the fan when playing back files i.e. xbmc? It's a shame these companies can't borrow Apple's fan design as it really is quite amazingly quiet (but I guess because it let's it get so hot!!)

Not that bothered about 4k yet, but I'm guessing I will need to upgrade in the future for HDMI 2.0 (for 60hz) and HEVC GPU acceleration anyway.. but it would be nice!
I see that NUC haswell is available in Central Europe. What is the US availability date? Wonder if the IB NUC will be closeouts.
(2013-10-31, 18:02)husky55 Wrote: [ -> ]I see that NUC haswell is available in Central Europe. What is the US availability date? Wonder if the IB NUC will be closeouts.

I can assure you it is not 'available' in Central Europe. They have delayed them for some unknown reason, availability most likely isn't until mid-November now. I see no reason why one place would get a release before the other so expect them out pretty much at the same time worldwide.
This is what I read:

"Where did you order it from?

From a local Retailer (http://shop.ba-computer.at/catalog/produ...d/972170).
I ordered Ram +SSD from Amazon." Page 3 of this thread.

I am actually looking for a deal with the old and obsolete Ivy Bridge at a great price.
(2013-10-31, 20:11)husky55 Wrote: [ -> ]This is what I read:

I ordered Ram +SSD from Amazon." Plage 3 of this thread.

I am actually looking for a deal with the old and obsolete Ivy Bridge at a great price.

Yeah ok, well its just a pre-order, I've 'ordered' one too. As I said, they are probably not out for at least a couple of weeks yet, so I'm not sure if you will find many sales on the old ivy bridge ones at the moment as they aren't technically 'old and obsolete' just yet Tongue. I'm not from the US so maybe someone else might be able to point out any deals but I'd be surprised if they have started now.
I'm just kidding about the IB being obsolete. I am sure that IB will be perfectly fine for HTPC use. I have a low end celeron for HTPC and it's doing fine playing mkv files. I am quite intrigued by the new Haswell NUC.
Hehe, but whatever way you look at it, retailers don't know when they are getting the new haswell NUCs in (just look at amazon.com, only big retailer I've seen listing it). Intel refuses to give a reason for the delay and the best eta they give when asked is "sometime in November", which after the 2 previous etas doesn't hold much weight >.<

Anyway, once retailers know when the haswell nuc is coming there might some IB deals but I doubt there will be now when for all they know Intel could push the haswell nuc to 2014 at this rate >.<
(2013-10-31, 20:53)husky55 Wrote: [ -> ]..... I am quite intrigued by the new Haswell NUC.

So say we all... Nod
Intel is losing a massive market here. Put these kits on the shelves of local retailers, add a discount bundle of some memory+ssd, and they would sell. This is more computer than most people will need for the next 2 years, and is certainly better than buying a huge desktop. And of course ideal for HTPC.
(2013-10-31, 21:17)MrCrispy Wrote: [ -> ]Put these kits on the shelves

I'd be happy if they just started here....this wait is very annoying and nobody seems to be able to say why its taking so long or when it will be out Angry

Quote:We do not have that information, as far as we know, the launch will be in November.
I apologize.

SleepyHuhSleepy
(2013-10-31, 20:38)Platypus2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-10-31, 20:11)husky55 Wrote: [ -> ]This is what I read:

I ordered Ram +SSD from Amazon." Plage 3 of this thread.

Yeah ok, well its just a pre-order, I've 'ordered' one too. As I said, they are probably not out for at least a couple of weeks yet, so I'm not sure if you will find many sales on the old ivy bridge ones at the moment as they aren't technically 'old and obsolete' just yet Tongue. I'm not from the US so maybe someone else might be able to point out any deals but I'd be surprised if they have started now.

My Order says now: Nov. 12th. So, we'll see when it arrives. The Rest of the Components should arrive next Week.
I'll keep you Guys posted once i have the NUC in my Hands. Can't wait to install it and running some Tests Big Grin
i3 is still on pre-order in the UK Sad it would be nice to at least have a date.

As a remote to you think the Apple Remote (metal one) will work out of the box with OpenELEC ?

Can't find a nice little remote, would ideally like RF or bluetooth soi can put the NUC ion the VESA wall mount behing the TV, I have the Sony PS3 remote but battery dies so quickly
I'm not sure that an Apple Remote will work. For sure OE will support the standard MS/Xbox style media center remotes, or using one of those profiles with a universal remote.

There is now one retailer on Amazon showing that they have the Haswell i3 in stock (20 in stock) but I am very skeptical of that. Amazon had changed their own in-house pre-order from "1-3 weeks" to "as soon as available" a week or so ago which would normally mean they were expecting stock to arrive, but something must have happened because it still is not available.
Don't trust it, they might order 20, but for sure they do not have 20 right now. No retailer have these in stock and won't for a good week or two yet. It's been delayed, and they won't say why.

EDIT:

FINALLY We might be getting somewhere...

https://communities.intel.com/message/211377

Quote:Oviano,

I checked with the NUC team and the units are shipping to distributors now. You should see them available on the major retail sites by next week.

It's frustrating when you start seeing the reviews from orgs that have received pre-production testers and then you can't buy them I know. But the wait's almost over!

Jason
Sounds great, thanks for the update.