Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2013-12-06, 14:43)quintixbox Wrote: [ -> ]Let me know if you need further clarification or help with setting up your NUC.

Thanks so much for that info, it's very useful indeed! I'll probably wait till the new year to pull the trigger on a purchase (if I can wait that long) but image quality is everything to me so I appreciate the responses. I might just go openelec at the start anyway, but I think I'd quite enjoy the Linux tinkering since I haven't tried it before. Anyway, don't want to go OT...
Quick update for everyone, I had stopped building OpenELEC nightly builds for a few days whilst 3.2.4 was released. I'm starting the buildbot again and you should see new builds sometime today at http://xbmcnightlybuilds.com
quintixbox and BLKMGK - any reason why you chose Mint and not ubuntu? Ay big differences? I'm not super knowledegable here yet. I just want a more robust linux installation so I can install Steam and do some other things with my new i5 Smile.
Trying to decide how much better these Haswell editions are over the previous generations that are now seeing substantial discounts:

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=81910&v...omoid=1226

My Nuc will start life as an XBMC box but will get converted eventually to a full PC running 8.1. Thoughts or advice?
(2013-12-06, 16:39)dfdeath Wrote: [ -> ]quintixbox and BLKMGK - any reason why you chose Mint and not ubuntu? Ay big differences? I'm not super knowledegable here yet. I just want a more robust linux installation so I can install Steam and do some other things with my new i5 Smile.

It would be great if quintixbox and/or BLKMGK can write a how to do do dual boot with OPENElec and install of the Mint. I know that quintixbox already wrote what he did. But for novices like myself a tutorial is a great introduction to Mint and to Linux. I have some elementary knowledge of Linux but I am kind of reluctant to commit to Mint since I have never used it. Windows 8 will cost a few bucks I hope to avoid.
Hi,

To make a dualboot system is pretty straightforward, I loosely followed these two articles on theOpenELEC wiki:

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Config_dualboot
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=...multi_boot

As for why I chose Linux Mint, well, several reasons, I prefer it's Cinnamon UI over the stock Ubuntu one, it comes default with a newer Kernel than it's "parent" (Ubuntu 13.10, Saucy Salamander) and feels more robust. In the end it's a personal choice. As for software availability etc. it suns anything (and more) that Ubuntu 13.10 does, seeing as it uses the Ubuntu repositories as well as some dedicated Mint ones.

Just give it a try, the installation is fast and painless and you can always go back to OpenELEC in minutes.

Cheers,
Q

(2013-12-06, 17:05)husky55 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-12-06, 16:39)dfdeath Wrote: [ -> ]quintixbox and BLKMGK - any reason why you chose Mint and not ubuntu? Ay big differences? I'm not super knowledegable here yet. I just want a more robust linux installation so I can install Steam and do some other things with my new i5 Smile.

It would great if quintixbox and/or BLKMGK can write a how to do do dual boot with OPENElec and install of the Mint. I know that quintixbox already wrote what he did. But for novices like myself a tutorial is a great introduction to Mint and to Linux. I have some elementary knowledge of Linux but I am kind of reluctant to commit to Mint since I have never used it. Windows 8 will cost a few bucks I hope to avoid.
Thank you -- will do!
You're welcome,

If you choose to go for a dualboot system I'd advise you (for now, till a new stable OpenELEC build is published) to use this build by lmyllari:
It is based on OpenELEC 3.2.x, xbmc 12.2 and includes all the color/black fixes discussed in this forum thread.

If you're adventurous, you could of course go for a Gotham Nightly build, but be aware that some things won't work.

Cheers,
Q

(2013-12-06, 18:00)dfdeath Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you -- will do!
What's the point of a dual boot system so long as I get xbmc working on Mint?
Well,

Several reasons:

- Currently there is no stable xbmc PPA repository for Mint 16 (it being baed on Ubuntu 13.10 saucy) so you can either install xbmc from the Ubuntu repository (version 12.0, same as 12.2 but without PVR functionality which you would only use if you have a USB tuner connected to your NUC) or xbmc 13 Gotham Alpa 10 from the xbmc unstable repository.

- Mint does not include all the latest color/black fixes which the above mentioned OpenELEC build and all Nightly OpenELEC builds do have.

- Making the system multiboot gives you the best of both worlds, boot in Openelec for the latest and greatest visual experience and boot in Mint (or the distro of your choice) for a full OS experience. Make the one you use most your default boot and switch to the other when you need it in seconds (both Mint and Openelec boot in +- 15 seconds).

- Play with one without affecting the other.

As I stated before, that's my personal preference, and although initial setup is a tiny bit more complicated than a simple one OS system I beleive it makes things easyer for me in the long run.

Cheers,
Q
I use Mint for the same reasons - I HATE the damned Unity interface for starters and Mint is cleaner. I also like that they're a bit more cutting edge, add the ALSA daily repo mentioned earlier and I think I'll be pretty happy!

As for XBMC on Mint I'll be compiling from git source, been doing this forever on ION so I'm used to it. No super advantage other than getting to see the new features and the bugs as they get created :-) As for dual boot, I've never done it and have no desire to, if I wanted to do anything like that on this I'd be doing a USB stick for Openelec and a native boot - easy to do!

My previous Mint installs were a pita, I'm expecting this next one to go more smoothly with the tips that have been posted here already, just not yet had time to do it but maybe tonight...

I use Mint for the same reasons - I HATE the damned Unity interface for starters and Mint is cleaner. I also like that they're a bit more cutting edge, add the ALSA daily repo mentioned earlier and I think I'll be pretty happy!

As for XBMC on Mint I'll be compiling from git source, been doing this forever on ION so I'm used to it. No super advantage other than getting to see the new features and the bugs as they get created :-) As for dual boot, I've never done it and have no desire to, if I wanted to do anything like that on this I'd be doing a USB stick for Openelec and a native boot - easy to do!

My previous Mint installs were a pita, I'm expecting this next one to go more smoothly with the tips that have been posted here already, just not yet had time to do it but maybe tonight...
(2013-12-06, 11:31)arokh Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-12-06, 05:43)voip-ninja Wrote: [ -> ]In my current older i3 setup (with a GT430) when I use sync to display it causes occasional HD audio dropouts, so I likewise disable it.

It's a dirty hack that uses resampling or drop/dupe audio to match the fps to an incorrect refresh rate. You don't need it with Haswell, disable and enjoy.

So HD Audio and 23.976 is working? Did you have to create a custom modeline for the refresh rate to set correctly?
Anybody experiencing small stuttering (minor stuttering every 5s or so) with XBMC on 3d content? I read some info about people having issues with this on IvyBridge but was under the impression that Haswell nuc's didn't have this issue. This is only been noticeable on 1080p 3D SBS content, regular non-3d 1080p seems to be working with no issues. I might revert back to the XBMC build I had previously installed, the one mentioned in this thread:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1567655
to see if that fixes it but just wanted to check if anybody else had this issue with 3d content.
3d SBS content is the same as any other 1080p content as far as XBMC is concerned. It is the TV that interprets it as 3D.
I know some of you use Win 8, but does anyone actually use Win 7 as OS for XBMC?

XBMC doesn't work fluently on Win 7 for me. I can watch movies without stuttering, as long as I don't open any menu. The overall speed in the menus is decreased. I've got Openelec on a usb stick and it works absolutely fluently! But I need Win 7 for Skype, Wii Emulation and other stuff I don't have on pure Openelec.

My settings in XBMC:
Video HW: 1920x1080p, Vertical Blank --> always on
Audio HW: analog, 2.0, HDMI WASAPI
Video: render method: auto detect
Allow HW acceleration: YES
refresh rate: always

The following programms are running in the background of Win 7 Pro: Antivier, Speedfan, Win 7 Firewall, Bluesoleil (Blutooth), Ext2fsd, Intel HD Grafic

All of the drivers are up to date, SP1 is installed with all updates that came after that.

Please help!