Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Recordings won't play............HELP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Howdy.... Name's Dave. Total newbie to this stuff. Hoping someone smarter than me can help with a problem I have.

I've been fooling around with XBMC for a while(maybe a year) and decided to give the "Live TV" thing a go. I have XBMC setup on a small PC(XP) connected via HDMI to our main TV....and it has been working fine for several months. I have a USB TV tuner connected to a separate Windows 7 PC running Mediaportal for the backend. I got everything configured and working great....even the EPG is updating. I am only using this for over-the air TV. Nothing fancy.

The ONLY problem I'm having is, when I try to PLAY recorded content on the XBMC box, it does absolutely nothing. I get NO ERROR MESSAGES. It just sits there(I think I heard it laughing at me). I've tried every configuration setting I could find on the Mediaportal addin and still nothing. I am just about to give up on this project.

I went through this same thing a while back and gave up on it and tried NextPVR. I got it(NPVR) working somewhat, and I could play recorded content with XBMC. I really did not like NPVR compared to Mediaportal. I don't remember what exactly happened, but it was so glitchy I just stopped using it. I do remember it only worked part of the time.

So last night I was bored and decided to reinstall MP and try it again. It had been so long that I had forgotten why I went to NPVR in the first place. This morning as soon as I tried playing a recording that I has set last night, I remembered why. It did the same' thing that it had done the first time. No matter what I do, I just cannot get XBMC to play recorded programs from MP. It sees them It shows the next recording that is set to run. It just will not play any recordings.

If anyone has any ideas...Please let me know. Thanks in advance. French toast is ready...gotta go. Big Grin
I just tried setting up ServerWMC and I can't get it to play any live TV channels or the sample recording. Not sure what the problem is. If I don't get any help here I guess I'll scrap it all. Oh well.
I'm not an expert on this either but I have couple of thoughts. Maybe the XP PC does not have the proper codec installed. You can Google codec pack for XP and download and install. Also try one of the monthly versions of XBMC and see if that works.
@jellybean: It has nothing to do with codec packs. XBMC uses internal codecs.

@JustSomOldDude: Your MediaPortal backend and the XBMC front end are on different machines. Make sure that you have shared both the Timeshift folder and the Recordings folder on your Windows 7 machine and make sure that you can access these shares from the XP machine.
Similar things with shares apply to WMC if I remember correctly.

Note: when you enable XBMC debug logging (see Wiki: debug log) and check your log file for MediaPortal lines you will probably an error message that tells you why the playback fails.
Did you resolve this? I have just installed mediaportal and having the same failed playback of recording issues. I recorded 'Live at the Apollo' to test, and as my xbmc log shows, it failes to play:

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=kKahBwQ6

Any ideas? As far as i know my xbmc set up plays all files types, never had any file fail to play until this .ts recording.

Thanks