Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
well gosh darn it, filezilla worked... no issues copying the file over.

anyone had any issues with their network connection dropping? i had it happen every so often in android, same with linux. when i lost connection, the network settings were showing my IP but it was set as static. i had to reboot the box and it went back to dhcp with the correct IP again. strange. i don't think it's my router (cisco e3200 and it's rock solid with every other connection to it), and my wiring (cat 6) I just installed less than 2 months ago.

(2014-01-22, 05:15)markcf105 Wrote: [ -> ]Redi, I have just done a fresh install of the xda build. Using filezilla and connecting using ftp not ssh i was able to change the remote.conf file located in ect/xbmc with out any issues. it was the first thing i did after enabling the wired connection.
Can someone give the output of the mount command on one of these boxes?
(2014-01-21, 22:02)redi Wrote: [ -> ]hey tinker,

I added smb shares to the / folder as you detailed, however it seems I only have read access.

I did this on my nexus7:

SSH'd to the box, used vi to edit /etc/samba/smb.conf

I added in only these shares:

[XBMC]
path = /root/.xbmc
public = yes
only guest = yes
writable = yes
printable = no

[home] # Use at your own risk. Shares the home directory of the Linux install!
path = /
public = yes
only guest = yes
writable = yes
printable = no

I took the revised remote.conf and tried to copy it directly into /etc/ folder but got permission denied. I tried this both in windows 7 and using es file explorer from a nexus tablet.

am I missing something?

These are the two ways you can replace the data. You can use the 'vi' editor to edit the guisettings.xml file directly or you can use Jatho's method to open up the XBMC folder to SMB networking and alter the guisettings.xml file with you favorite word processor (don't use MS notepad). Once the file is changed to your timezone settings, reboot the box and the clock will be set to your timezone.

Here's Jatho's SMB solution:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1594222

...and here's my own adaptations to it that you might find helpfull:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1597844

Aside from not having wireless access, the XDA version of Linux/XBMC is just what I was looking for, even the power button 'Suspend' mode works just the way I want it. When I 'Suspend', the 3 port smart HDMI switch hooked up to my TV automatically switches back to my satellite box the same way my DVD player does when I switch it off.

tinker
[/quote]

Be very careful sharing your root (/) filesystem! Rather share only the directories that you need to. There is a (very good) reason why you don't have write permissions on the / directory.

My recommendation is to share the xbmc directory, possibly media shares (if you're sharing through this xbmc device) and maybe the /tmp directory which you can use to transport config files that need editing etc...
all good points Smile

I have to say the XDA preRC2 build is working great. aside from my network connection dropping once, it's been fantastic.

my only wishlist would be to be to have power trigger the suspend immediately without the popup but I ain't complaining Smile

the video/audio sync to me seems fine.

I tested some music playback last night as well (both mp3 and flac) and it was flawless.. with android the music would cut out from time to time for some reason.
(2014-01-22, 04:59)redi Wrote: [ -> ]Still confused on remote.conf replacement. I can't write to etc/xbmc folder. Am I missing something? I set up my SMB shares

Login via ftp and copy over remote.conf
(2014-01-22, 21:34)Biatsch Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-22, 04:59)redi Wrote: [ -> ]Still confused on remote.conf replacement. I can't write to etc/xbmc folder. Am I missing something? I set up my SMB shares

yep done and done Smile remote works perfectly now (as does my harmony).

The first post should be amended to include a link to remote.conf in the instructions for XDA install, as well as a note about using FTP to copy the file over to /etc/xbmc folder Smile
(2014-01-22, 21:35)redi Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-22, 21:34)Biatsch Wrote: [ -> ]

yep done and done Smile remote works perfectly now (as does my harmony).

The first post should be amended to include a link to remote.conf in the instructions for XDA install, as well as a note about using FTP to copy the file over to /etc/xbmc folder Smile

sorry didnt read that u fixed it Wink with ftp was too fast in answering the Post before i read u fixed it
(2014-01-20, 23:17)redi Wrote: [ -> ]check out this thread:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=143775

last post says:

Ok, thank you very much, I've solved the problem.
I folowed the steps, and added the "everyone user" to the share folder. Now I'm able to connect the share media.

(2014-01-20, 23:03)Perfectdark Wrote: [ -> ]hi all

just purchased the mygica atv520E

i was using the android xbmc but wanted to try the Linux version so i followed your instructions here and loaded it. It loads and works fine, however, i have a windows 8 PC with my shared media folder (containing movies, tv shows etc) when i tru to add any of the folders i cannot. It prompts me for the username and password so i enter it but then it reprompts me like it was incorrect or something. So i removed the linux and put back the android and i was able to add my media folders. Prompted me for username and password, i entered it and it worked. Went back to Linux and it keeps prompting me.. Is there a fix for this?

Thanks but didn't help
hmm.. here's an article on samba with windows 8:

http://www.admin-magazine.com/Articles/L...-Windows-8
The next issue Smile in the mornings after the TV has been off for some time the ATV520 is unresponsive. The only way to get it to display on the screen is to pull the plug and restart. This has happened with both builds of Linux xbmc.

Is anyone else having this issue??

Also, has anyone figured out how to get the button with with two "windows" to open the EPG?? the question was asked by sonicov on post 126....
Are you putting it in suspend at night? I assume it's plugged directly into the TV as opposed to a receiver?
It is plugged in to a receiver so that may be the issue i will plug it in to the TV directly and test. I am not putting it to suspend, I am leaving the box on and and just turning off the TV and receiver.

I used a raspberry PI for a little over a year never had this issue.
I have the same setup as you and I don't put mine in suspend. Don't think I have had this happen.
(2014-01-23, 01:33)redi Wrote: [ -> ]hmm.. here's an article on samba with windows 8:

http://www.admin-magazine.com/Articles/L...-Windows-8

thanks, didn't really seem to help. I've googled and seen numerous issues with Linux xbmx connecting to smb Win8 shares but no solution yet
actually I had this happen last night. I had to power cycle the box (hold down power until it shuts down, press power again).

I also had it randomly freeze while I was browsing program addons (not installing)

(2014-01-23, 05:14)markcf105 Wrote: [ -> ]It is plugged in to a receiver so that may be the issue i will plug it in to the TV directly and test. I am not putting it to suspend, I am leaving the box on and and just turning off the TV and receiver.

I used a raspberry PI for a little over a year never had this issue.