Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2015-01-09, 18:45)p_turner_uk Wrote: [ -> ]I really am a beginner here but I hope someone can help me.

I have had several ATV1200 and put on the linux build with varying degrees of success.
However I find myself with 2 bricked ATV1200s and I need to "bridge the pins" on them to bring them back to life. I have seen the picture earlier in this thread showing which pins to bridge.

Where would I be able to get the cable to do this job? Earlier links to ebayer sellers show the products no longer available, and it may well be these cables are fairly generic but being a beginner to electronics I'm just not sure.

Any help anyone can provide would be great.

Incidentally my build of choice is the linux Frodo..... when I put Gotham on my DTS surround doesn't work..... but I'm happy with Frodo.

The cable is not needed most of the time. Making a bootable SD card usually does the trick. Problem is once you brick in linux it gets rather complicated to recover it. If I remember correctly someone mailed be a box that had this problem. Going back to Android 4.1 and then to linux did the trick but took me hours to figure it out. But at that point the NAND has suffered so much it may not even work correctly.

Once you get back to Frodo apply my patch at the link below. It will get you to Gotham 13.0 busy box. It is an uncompleted build but maybe it will work for you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/88qblfpp8h1x9j...a.zip?dl=0

Alternately, you can take the patch above and replace XBMC with XDA's Gotham 13.2 on an external hard drive and have the system boot up from the HDD. Gives you better read and write. I tried using an SSD but doesn't work as good but a mechanical HDD works wonders. See a quick demo:
ok, thanks. I will try to make a boot card tomorrow and make that my starting point. Thank you for the advice Smile
Well I tried with the bootable SD card but I get nothing (other than a solid red light). In case it's important these boxes are the Sumvision cyclone X2 which I believe are just rebadged ATV1200s.
(2015-01-13, 19:49)p_turner_uk Wrote: [ -> ]Well I tried with the bootable SD card but I get nothing (other than a solid red light). In case it's important these boxes are the Sumvision cyclone X2 which I believe are just rebadged ATV1200s.

From my understanding it is an OEM ATV1200 from Geniatech but I could be wrong. I don't get access to this type of info.

1. How did you prep the card?
2. I don't remember exactly what I did but here is what I remember. Hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong.
  • Short the pins (make sure it is stable and won't fall off)
  • Connect HDMI cable and turn on TV (do not use component)
  • Plug network cable (this is probably not needed but it was plugged in when I did it)
  • Insert SD card
  • Hold the recovery button
  • Power on
  • Don't move for 5 minutes. I think once some flashes are on the screen you can release the recovery button
  • Once you have completed the flash turn off and remove shorted pin. If the system auto reboots remove the pin or it will reflash again

Yes another person helping is great as it is a lot to hold and do.
Hi xbmcdoc

I made the boot card as per instructions in post #818 and #823. I made sure my sd card was Disk 1 when making the bootable card however the dos window did throw up the following error;

"error native opening file: 0 The operation completed successfully"

Also I did not "short the pins" I don't quite know what I'm doing here, could someone explain in simple terms? Is this the same as "bridging"?

Many thanks for your time guys, I appreciate it must be frustrating when you get a complete beginner on here.
(2015-01-14, 12:48)p_turner_uk Wrote: [ -> ]Hi xbmcdoc

I made the boot card as per instructions in post #818 and #823. I made sure my sd card was Disk 1 when making the bootable card however the dos window did throw up the following error;

"error native opening file: 0 The operation completed successfully"

Also I did not "short the pins" I don't quite know what I'm doing here, could someone explain in simple terms? Is this the same as "bridging"?

Many thanks for your time guys, I appreciate it must be frustrating when you get a complete beginner on here.

We were all there one time. The bridging term comes from the old electronic days. Think I heard it back in the 90's when computer where huge. Means take a metal object & short the two pins. You can use a small screwdriver pressed against the two pins. Don't put too much pressure on the pins.
I assume it's the pins that the red arrow is pointing to that I need to short?
http://i.imgur.com/3WEhxnZ.jpg?1

Well I shorted the pins, put in a recovery sd card, attached the leads held down the recovery button and put the power lead back in, waited for 5 mins.... nothing..... just that familiar red light Sad
(2015-01-14, 23:01)p_turner_uk Wrote: [ -> ]I assume it's the pins that the red arrow is pointing to that I need to short?
http://i.imgur.com/3WEhxnZ.jpg?1

Well I shorted the pins, put in a recovery sd card, attached the leads held down the recovery button and put the power lead back in, waited for 5 mins.... nothing..... just that familiar red light Sad

That's what I did to get a box to work. Maybe someone else has input on what it can be.
Sure, I'm not convinced the boot card is any good as the shell window returned an error. Having said that there was no sign at all of this box coming back to life at any point.

I've ordered another ATV1200 from Aliexpress and hopefully I will have more luck there.

Thank you for your time xbmcdoc..... it was worth a shot! Smile
Hi p_turner_uk

( sorry for my bad english ) , I also have the same problem with gotham on my atv1200s cyclon and gacia , the recovery does not work for me , and i tested many hours to rescoue my boxes.

My way , normal gotham ( from first page ) , booting with pushing recovery button ( backside ) and bridge the pins. XBMC boots ( afters 5 -10 bootings ) and install gotham correctly - after that i install android ...... works , and than 12.3 -- it works..... my german is better ....
Thanks bubblefish, I will give that a go Smile
(2015-01-15, 23:06)p_turner_uk Wrote: [ -> ]Sure, I'm not convinced the boot card is any good as the shell window returned an error.

Using Windows open Disk Management and check the partitions on the SD card. Verify that you see a 16MB Unallocated one. I put together a quick video guide for you. If you don't see the unallocated partition use the Amlogic tool. The rest of the video guide will walk you through it. Let me know if you have any questions. I didn't spend much time on the video so I might have skip some of the details.

Amlogic Tool
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3lm0bskcl0fqz...YhUra?dl=0

Files to Downgrade to Android 4,1
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/c8u88k9ksqwef...LW9Pa?dl=0
Hi xbmcdoc

wow, thank you for going to that effort for me. I just made the boot card successfully and will let you know how I get on!

*edit

Still no luck. The boot card partitioned ok and I put the correct files on as per the instructions in your video xbmcdoc. Bridged the pins, sd card in, reset button held down and power in. Waited 5-6 minutes and nothing, tried several times. Maybe this one is beyond saving.

Thank you both for your help, I really appreciate it.

I bought another ATV1200 from Aliexpress and they tell me it's out of stock, so are giving me an ATV1800 instead. I understand there is no Linux build as yet for that, so I guess it's back to android for me, and I will keep an eye on these forums for a linux Kodi build.
(2015-01-19, 20:16)p_turner_uk Wrote: [ -> ]Hi xbmcdoc

wow, thank you for going to that effort for me. I just made the boot card successfully and will let you know how I get on!

Good luck.
If someone could test this build out of Helix
https://mega.co.nz/#!CoQRGagC!Xl6HQ90E1X...ttNwVhw6bU