Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2015-01-21, 19:08)xbmcdoc Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-01-21, 11:33)AuXBoX Wrote: [ -> ]I'll fix the upscaling soon

Thanks AuXBox. Is there a support page where I can buy you a beer?

Yes indeed here here. This guy AuxBox deserves quite a few drinks for sure.

As to the shut-down and boot up problem reported, well mine is fixed by changing the remote.conf file as was well documented here many months ago now. But to save you searching back then all you need do is to first get a suitable remote.conf file to replace the default one installed with this new compile/build. For the current ATV520 and ATV1200 remotes I can strongly recommend this one that I have placed in my public Dropbox folder HERE (please note you should right mouse click on this link and select the Save Link As option when by default it will download to your download folder as "remote.conf").

If you have an older 520 remote I do have alternative .conf files for those too. I take no credit for these remote.conf files as they were compiled by somebody else, though regret to say I cannot remember who it was to be honest, but anyway I have made it easily available if you need it and it does work.

Using File Manager, just simply replace (or better rename the existing one to remote.conf.old) the small 720 Byte remote.conf file in the root/etc/kodi/ directory with this updated remote.conf file which you will see is much bigger at 2.11 KB in size. Then you MUST reboot for it to take effect. You will then have the familiar 3 choice menu window pop up when you hit the remote red button and all other remote buttons you will find are correctly mapped.

Obviously you do this at your own risk but it is a simple and very easy operation which I hope proves useful to you. You will probably have to ensure that you first enable the Allow Renaming and Deletion, and the Show Hidden Files and Directories options in the System|Settings|Appearance|File Lists config screen, thus leaving all 6 options enabled (blue indicators all lit).
Just an update from more tests. Yes very stable indeed and so far no crashes.

My old HDMI pass-through audio problem is still the same however as I quite honestly expected it to be. As I stated before, the Denon support folk blame the Linux MX software of course, though it does not seem to be a problem with other home theatre units from all the feedback I have received. Though pass-through digital sound via HDMI worked perfectly with Linux Frodo 12.3 and earlier builds, so it is something related to the major audio setting changes introduced originally with Linux Frodo 12.4 and all the Linux Gotham builds.

So other than my personal continuing pass-through audio problem, so far as I see it at this stage, it is just the upscaling 1080 video problem and the boot up splash screens that need fixing. Still to try the Broadcom WiFi issues with the ATV520 boxes, which I will try to do today and report back here, as have a brand new ATV 520 Android 4.1 box here that I can flash to this new test Helix 14.0 Linux compile.
I've built 14.0 with fixed 1080p, new splash screens and power off menu in remote.cfg. There are also some new patches that may or may not improve things.

Note: if you use 1080p mode you'll need to delete existing guisettings.xml or delete the <resolutions> lines within the file if kodi appears as small window in top left.

Currently still uploading but here's the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h8mo465gzb4pti...5.zip?dl=0

BTW, I still get random freezes with these new versions Sad
(2015-01-23, 22:04)bobones Wrote: [ -> ]I've built 14.0 with fixed 1080p, new splash screens and power off menu in remote.cfg. There are also some new patches that may or may not improve things.

Note: if you use 1080p mode you'll need to delete existing guisettings.xml or delete the <resolutions> lines within the file if kodi appears as small window in top left.

Currently still uploading but here's the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y4ecqbn50v3frx...5.zip?dl=0

BTW, I still get random freezes with these new versions Sad

When does it freeze? Playback or random? I will try out the build when I get home.
Freezes when idle. Still uploading Sad
(2015-01-24, 00:03)bobones Wrote: [ -> ]Freezes when idle. Still uploading Sad

Is the CPU usage usually high at idle?
No, the freezing problem has always been present in this port and no one knows the real cause. Seems to only happen when browsing menus or when totally idle: never when watching a video or even if a video is paused for a long time.

There is something wrong with my dropbox as it is not completing the upload of this file. Going to try google drive instead.
New link https://www.dropbox.com/s/h8mo465gzb4pti...5.zip?dl=0 has completed.

Let me know how this one goes.
(2015-01-24, 01:52)bobones Wrote: [ -> ]No, the freezing problem has always been present in this port and no one knows the real cause. Seems to only happen when browsing menus or when totally idle: never when watching a video or even if a video is paused for a long time.

Try switch to a screensaver which consumes CPU . Default is ''Dim'' .
Good shout trying one out now
The new build with Helix works for me on MyGica ATV520e, but I have problems with the time zone, which is throwing off my EPG for Live TV option.
The system time is set to UTC, which is 5 hours ahead of my time (EST). When I use SSH to the box, I can change the clock to whatever time it is at the moment, but the time zone stays as UTC, and after rebooting my 5-hour gap is back... I'm guessing that I need to change my time zone to EST to make it work after the reboot. How do I do that? The location and tools which most linux distros use via command line isn't working here...

Thanks!
Set your timezone within Kodi in System/Settings/Appearance/International
Hey BoBones, many thanks mate. Another hero of this forum who also deserves a beer fund setting up for him along with AuxBox.

Anyway Linux Kodi Helix feedback for both BoBones and AuxBox.

Firstly the new BoBones compile does the job just as he says and fixes the 1080 res problem and has the Kodi boot up splash screen too :-) Great stuff and it works very well, but I do have two problems with both Auxbox and BoBones compiles. Firstly yes I do now notice that I still get the freezes now and again usually when in standby or when scrolling through listings, but not too often and never whilst streaming a video or music. It is more of an annoyance than a deal breaker though and the same as we have seen also with Linux Gotham builds.

The other problem is with shutting down. Sure with BoBones compile we now nicely get a remote.conf pre-installed that gives us the three option menu when you press the red close-down button, though it is a slightly different remote.conf file to the one I use and posted a link to above. The one I linked to is slightly smaller at 2.11KB rather than this 2.7 KB one, but they both seem to do the same job. So it is not worth changing it from the one Bobones has kindly set up for us just to save 600 Bytes. Problem is that with either remote.conf file, when you select Shutdown or Reboot it often just freezes the box needing a complete power plug out to shut down or a full power off and on reset to reboot. I did get that at times too with Linux Gotham I have to say but I do think it seems to be happening more frequently with these two new Linux Helix compiles.

Okay more feedback to report, and as expected the Network WiFi Manager still does not work with the ATV520 box as the Broadcom problem is still sadly not fixed. So the only sensible choice for these 520 boxes, if WiFi is required, is to still flash them with the old Linux Frodo 12.3 with the easy simple WiFi fix applied that we discussed before. If WiFi is definitely not required then Linux Helix 14 works as well as with the ATV1200 boxes, so have to say that is excellent overall.

Now a quite serious problem I have noticed. With a virgin Linux Kodi Helix 14.0 installed over the standard Android bloat ware that comes pre-installed with these MX boxes, I notice that there is still a large xbmc folder duplicated by a new now needed kodi named folder in the same /root/usr/share folder. This xbmc folder nor it's contents can be deleted using FIle Manager as this is a write protect area. So is it possible that this unneeded xbmc folder can be removed from the next Linux Helix compiles or is it a build issue? It is of course using up valuable and limited resources of course.

Also and an even bigger unneeded folder is left on the system if you install these new Linux Helix 14 Compiles over your old Linux Gotham installations. That leaves a massive .xbmc folder in the /root/root/ area and which is a duplicate of the new replaced and needed .kodi folder in this same location. Of course we can delete that ,xbmc folder using file manager as it is not a write protected area, but could something be added to the next compiles to auto delete this unneeded .xbmc folder when the new compile is flashed ?? I have manually deleted my unneeded .xbmc folder and recovered quite a lot of useful memory space, and as expected it has had no adverse effects on the system operation either.
I just renamed the ,kodi folder to .kodi.orig and renamed the .xbmc folder to .kodi so I didn't need to reconfigure. If you can flash linux you can log on with putty and either remove the folder or rename it. I don't have a problem with shutdown as I just leave my box on.
Hi new to this though I've had my device for a year or more. (Cyclone Nano slim+ 1GB)

Tried to install the latest update and my device doesn't do nothing now... Not even any lights on the front come on whilst the power cable is in.

Worked perfectly before this?

Any ideas? Pulling my hair out over it :/