Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2015-01-28, 21:46)bobones Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, it's part of imagemagick so on ubuntu you do apt-get imagemagick to install the package containing convert, but you don't run it on your X4 box. If you PM me a link to your image I'll convert it for you.

ok i will sir. any requie size of image.

i have 2 more questions. after you prrovide me the image. i just copy that i mage on root and just change the path in S05Splash. file . right?
Anything will do as I will resize it. Yes, that's all you need to do.
(2015-01-28, 22:07)bobones Wrote: [ -> ]Anything will do as I will resize it. Yes, that's all you need to do.

sir, i found imagemagick software for windows can i do with this and i also try your second command just for try :

" lzop -f myplash.fb -o myplash.fb.lzo"

it says

lzop: invalid option -- 'o'
BusyBox v1.22.1 (2015-01-18 19:37:16 AWST) multi-call binary.

Usage: lzop [-cfvd123456789CF] [FILE]...

-1..9 Compression level
-d Decompress
-c Write to stdout
-f Force
-v Verbose
-F Don't store or verify checksum
-C Also write checksum of compressed block
Try:
lzop -c mysplash.fb > mysplash.fb.lzo
(2015-01-28, 01:18)bobones Wrote: [ -> ]Here's a new helix build compiled from Croniccorey's repo with no changes other than a fix for the loud buzzing noise on HDMI

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uu1kv1yg4ai9by...7.zip?dl=0

Same instructions as for other builds (see post 1).

Many thanks as always Bobones, great job. Installed over the top of your previous Helix compile of a few days ago and all went smoothly. No HDMI borne buzzing sound this time as with AuxBox's last compile from cronicory's earlier build I gather. Still the freezes every now and again when displaying listings or home screen but I am as yet still only using the default Dim screen saver.

Not tested with ATV520 box yet for Broadcom issue, so to save me what is probably a wasted effort, does anyone here know if the same old Broadcom WiFi incompatibility problem is still with us with this latest compile ?? Oh and still the old pass-through audio switching problem with my HT of course.

Have a problem with Shutdown and Reboot sometimes too as I did with Linux Gotham 13.2 where it just locks the box up with a frozen display showing the 3 shut-down options on top of the home screen. Needs a full POR to reboot it. This little bug does though seem to happen more often than it did with Gotham 13.2

Overall a great build/compile and seems somewhat slicker all round in operation and possibly less of those freezes too.
(2015-01-29, 11:02)raymw Wrote: [ -> ]Many thanks as always Bobones, great job. Installed over the top of your previous Helix compile of a few days ago and all went smoothly. No HDMI borne buzzing sound this time as with AuxBox's last compile from cronicory's earlier build I gather. Still the freezes every now and again when displaying listings or home screen but I am as yet still only using the default Dim screen saver.

A CPU consuming screensaver has stopped the freezing on idle problem for me entirely. I haven't had a freeze on the menus for quite a while though.

Not tested with ATV520 box yet for Broadcom issue, so to save me what is probably a wasted effort, does anyone here know if the same old Broadcom WiFi incompatibility problem is still with us with this latest compile ?? Oh and still the old pass-through audio switching problem with my HT of course.

I haven't noticed explicit fixes for either of these, but I couldn't say for sure if it's still the same. Probably worth testing.

Have a problem with Shutdown and Reboot sometimes too as I did with Linux Gotham 13.2 where it just locks the box up with a frozen display showing the 3 shut-down options on top of the home screen. Needs a full POR to reboot it. This little bug does though seem to happen more often than it did with Gotham 13.2

I'm not sure about this one as power off or reboot tends to work for me, but I only use them very occasionally as I prefer to leave the box on. Now that using a screensaver stops it freezing on idle, I will rarely need to touch the power cable.

Overall a great build/compile and seems somewhat slicker all round in operation and possibly less of those freezes too.

The 250ms audio latency bug is really getting on my nerves, I don't have it on OpenELEC for other AMLogic boxes so it's definitely fixable. I actually don't remember being as noticeable on the last 13.2 builds but I can't be sure unless I revert to 13.2
Okay BoBones thanks again for your detailed reply as I value your input greatly. A few responses from me then.

Unless somebody confirms that it is fixed or it is still a problem, then I will test this latest Linux Helix 14.0 build on my ATV520 test bench box.for the Broadcom issue.

Yes I will do the same as you then and get a suitable screen saver that uses some CPU cycles and do what I did with early Frodo and leave the box on 24/7. .

That 250mS delay needed for the audio to enable it to lip sync was present with Linux Gotham builds too, but despite what I said I have found some streaming sources that do not give me this problem, though have to say that most of them do. So I have set a 250mS audio delay as a default setting now as it is only the occasional video where I need to take this audio delay back off. I will try to document exactly what video and sound source codecs are being used and which ones need or do not need this 250mS delay. Maybe it will then show if there is some correlation with certain codec combinations, but give me some time to get this documented of course. By then they probably will have fixed it :-)
@bobones

Thx for the latest build.
I've updated my ATV1200 with it.
I'm facing a problem though.
No DTS passthrough for me anymore...it used to work with gotham 13.2 from croniccorey.
No problem with dolby digital passthrough.

I think i'm gonna downgrade to gotham, since most of my movies are DTS...
@raymw hold off on the broadcom as I've looked into it and I'm sure it won't work with that build. I might have something for you later though.

@NeBouse will need to check that as I haven't noticed myself
Oh well, i'm still testing it a bit, and i've found that onscreen keyboard doesn't work (at least for me).
The keyboard appears, but there are no characters displayed, all keys are empty, and even the string i want to modify is not displayed on the bottom.

EDIT: damn...in fact DTS passthrough is working...
I've just totally forgotten to enable it in the settings, in audio output.
Sorry...
(2015-01-29, 16:20)NeBouse Wrote: [ -> ]Oh well, i'm still testing it a bit, and i've found that onscreen keyboard doesn't work (at least for me).
The keyboard appears, but there are no characters displayed, all keys are empty, and even the string i want to modify is not displayed on the bottom.

EDIT: damn...in fact DTS passthrough is working...
I've just totally forgotten to enable it in the settings, in audio output.
Sorry...

for the keyboard issue, what skin are you using? I had the same issue, and it was due to the amber skin not being compatible. I went back to confluence and everything worked. I then found a thread on a newer version of amber that was built for kodi and am now using that and everything is working as it should.
I can test wifi on the atv520 tonight if you'd like.
I'm using aeon nox 5, but now that you tell me, i've set the version manually to 5.9.9 so it doesn't update anymore.
Might be the reason why i don't have the fix for the keyboard on that particular skin.
Thx.
(2015-01-29, 15:15)raymw Wrote: [ -> ]Yes I will do the same as you then and get a suitable screen saver that uses some CPU cycles and do what I did with early Frodo and leave the box on 24/7. .

You may wanna test "multi slideshow screensaver" and configure it to point to your fanart folder.
It displays a nice wall with your fanarts, switching them randomly.

EDIT: a quick question to all of you
On croniccorey gotham 13.2 build, if i updated my database, it looked for new content but didn't clean the database.
Now every time i update the database, it does clean it at the end, resulting in some of my tv shows disappearing, because the folders are empty (no episode in).
Is it normal behavior ?
any way to disable the "cleaning part" of the process ?
I like to be able to see my tv shows in the list, even if the folder is empty (waiting for a new season for example).
Regarding Broadcom WiFi - we have the loadable firmware modules for the ATV520 chip, but there isn't a slot to load the module in the prebuilt kernel for the G02REF board. There is however one in the G02REFDongle prebuilt kernel. I can supply a build based on the G02REFDongle kernel with the correct broadcom firmware and it may work or it may brick your box. Is anyone brave enough to try it? Smile