Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
@bobones
Is possible add to your Helix build support for hdmi cec ?
Anyone know what happened to the music visualizations? The only 2 options are spectrum and waveform.

Build is working really well so far. 5 hours or so of playtime on it. Only reset it once. Got stuck loading a stream. Not sure if it froze up but got tired of waiting Smile
Hmmm I would like to try this Bobones but cannot afford to lose a new 520 box unless I am confident it can be ubricked using a simple SD card revert to Android compile as before. However I will in a week or two hopefully be getting back a warranty repaired 520 which is second hand of course and far from new, so may be more willing to risk it with that as it stands me oin at practically nothing. Would be great to have an answer sooner though for this old chestnut so I am somewhat tempted to try it anyway.

If I need a Linux PC then forget it as I have not got one right now but old keep putting off having my old Compaq Laptop dual boot to Linux and Windows, just the tiem to set it up.
(2015-01-29, 19:23)mike77 Wrote: [ -> ]@bobones
Is possible add to your Helix build support for hdmi cec ?
It is not possible for me as I am not a developer, but I don't see it happening any time soon. Codesnake added CEC in his OpenELEC ports but it doesn't work all that well and was disabled from WeTek Play builds due to the bugs. Maybe Corey will add it some time in the future, but the reality is that these boards (G02REF) are old and support for them has been dropped by AMLogic. If you wan't CEC then look to run Android or get a new box.
(2015-01-30, 08:07)raymw Wrote: [ -> ]Hmmm I would like to try this Bobones but cannot afford to lose a new 520 box unless I am confident it can be ubricked using a simple SD card revert to Android compile as before. However I will in a week or two hopefully be getting back a warranty repaired 520 which is second hand of course and far from new, so may be more willing to risk it with that as it stands me oin at practically nothing. Would be great to have an answer sooner though for this old chestnut so I am somewhat tempted to try it anyway.

If I need a Linux PC then forget it as I have not got one right now but old keep putting off having my old Compaq Laptop dual boot to Linux and Windows, just the tiem to set it up.

I tried to load the new kernel onto my ATV1200 but the flash failed right at the end (bootlogo assertion) and the system wouldn't boot. I recoverd the box fine, but I'm not sure if this is easy to fix properly. Maybe this kernel or another with the missing module will work if it is flashed correctly, I don't know.

As an alternative I tried to use the missing dhd.ko file (dongle host driver) from the G02REFDONGLE kernel in the G02REF kernel but the insmod command which inserts the binary driver failed here:
dhd: version magic '3.0.101-MX SMP preempt mod_unload ARMv7 ' should be '3.0.101-MX SMP mod_unload ARMv7 '

I thought I'd try changing the version string using a hex editor but then it failed with:
dhd: Unknown symbol extern_wifi_set_enable (err 0)

I am going to give up on this because it's getting a bit too complicated and I don't even have an ATV520!
(2015-01-29, 18:12)NeBouse Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-01-29, 15:15)raymw Wrote: [ -> ]Yes I will do the same as you then and get a suitable screen saver that uses some CPU cycles and do what I did with early Frodo and leave the box on 24/7. .

You may wanna test "multi slideshow screensaver" and configure it to point to your fanart folder.
It displays a nice wall with your fanarts, switching them randomly.

EDIT: a quick question to all of you
On croniccorey gotham 13.2 build, if i updated my database, it looked for new content but didn't clean the database.
Now every time i update the database, it does clean it at the end, resulting in some of my tv shows disappearing, because the folders are empty (no episode in).
Is it normal behavior ?
any way to disable the "cleaning part" of the process ?
I like to be able to see my tv shows in the list, even if the folder is empty (waiting for a new season for example).
Corey puts a default advancedsettings.xml in /usr/share/kodi/system with this section:
Code:
<videolibrary>
    <recentlyaddeditems>100</recentlyaddeditems>
    <cleanonupdate>true</cleanonupdate>
    <hideemptyseries>true</hideemptyseries>
    <hideallitems>true</hideallitems>
    <dateadded>0</dateadded>
    <importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate>
    <importresumepoint>true</importresumepoint>
  </videolibrary>

You need to make your own .kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml to override this with:
Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <videolibrary>
    <cleanonupdate>false</cleanonupdate>
  </videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>
Oh great !!!
Many thx for this, i've added the lines to my existing advancedsettings.xml (i use one to move thumbnails folder to my SDcard), and it's running great.
Nice, now i can clean watched episodes without seeing my tvshows disappearing from the database lol.

Thx again, you're the boss !!!

(oh and btw, your latest build is running great so far, once i've fixed all my previous mistakes regarding DTS and keyboard).
It seems a bit smoother too, but it might be a placebo.
Hey bobones thanks for the updates, I don't have internet at moment so can't do much for another week or so
(2015-01-29, 16:07)bobones Wrote: [ -> ]@raymw hold off on the broadcom as I've looked into it and I'm sure it won't work with that build. I might have something for you later though.

Many thanks for update Bobones and look forward to any good news on this Broadcom issue later.

Now running the "Installed Addons Screensaver" from the Super Repo Screensavers repository and it not only looks great but as you say seems that the box no longer freezes when in standby. Well that is standby of more than 5 minutes (the delay time I have set for the screensaver to wait before it operates).
Hi,

I have installed the Helix Build (19-01-15) mentioned on the first thread on my ATV520. After that, 3D Movies were no longer displayed properly - neither SBS nor OU. I reverted back to the Gotham build and 3D worked again.

Is this a Helix or a ATV520 issue?

best regards,
florian
Hello,

I have the XDA developers version (11-12-2014) installed on my ATV1200 and I cannot access to videos on youtube, everytime I click to access one it stays for few seconds waiting and then return to the list of videos without playing or showing any message.
I have try to delete the plugin and reinstall but it does not work.
Can you help me?

Thanks.
Which YouTube version do you have installed
The version that comes built in the xbmc, is it possible to change or update it?
(2015-02-01, 16:23)javierpalj Wrote: [ -> ]The version that comes built in the xbmc, is it possible to change or update it?

There is no version of Youtube built in with any of my Linux XBMC/KODI builds I have ever installed but it is a non third party add-on available free and direct from Kodi org.and it is of course fully legal.

I am having problems wit my copy too running with Linux Helix 14.0 in so far as many of the excellent music videos will no longer play (they used to!) as it now says they are not available or blocked Huh? whereas on my PC copy of Youtube they all play perfectly without any proxy servers or the like. This is a shame as I really want Youtube on my Mygica media box. Anyone know how to fix this annoyance so it works the same as my PC version ??

Anyway a little off topic here I feel but still worth a comment seeing it has been raised already.
Which version of YouTube are you guys using?