Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I seem to have bricked my Mygica A11 / Geniatech 510B trying option one. It was previously working ok with Gotham 13.x beta. It now doesn't even light up etc. Any suggestions gratefully received. I've tried the 5-10 second hold technique hoping it will do an auto re install but no joy. If I need to get it connected to my PC, what cable do I need?
(2015-02-12, 19:34)sunnyhero Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-01-26, 20:11)p_turner_uk Wrote: [ -> ]I've actually got one of them back to life. I'm not sure how.... used the revert to 4.1 files but didn't short the pins this time and for some reason it's worked. I will try now on the other atv1200. Many thanks for everyone who helped Smile

The ATV 1800 I'm being charged the same price..... as they were OOS on the 1200.

*update

The other one did come back to life... but refused to finish the android install, it was on a loop. I pulled the SD card and it went to recovery screen, and from there did factory reset / wipe cache. Then tried to load Linux frodo, again it started but would just loop on the install. Restarting itself and trying again.

I will persevere a little longer with it. To be honest I'm just happy I got one of them working.

*further update

Both working now! Thanks guys..... you're a very kind and helpful lot!

Please can you let me know how did you able to fix your atv1200? I am also have same issues like you.

Well I can tell you where I went wrong. I believe I had the wrong files on my SD card to revert back to android. I noticed this as I was comparing the SD card contents with the revert to 4.1 files and noticed they were different. Once I had the right files on the sd card I dont think I actually needed to short the pins. just insert card and reset the usual way and be patient..... it can take a while for the whole process of reverting to kick start. I hope that is of some help Smile

It took a couple of tries to get some of the boxes back to life, but once I had the right files on the sd card I just kept trying and got there in the end with all my 1200 boxes.
(2015-02-16, 15:10)p_turner_uk Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-02-12, 19:34)sunnyhero Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-01-26, 20:11)p_turner_uk Wrote: [ -> ]I've actually got one of them back to life. I'm not sure how.... used the revert to 4.1 files but didn't short the pins this time and for some reason it's worked. I will try now on the other atv1200. Many thanks for everyone who helped Smile

The ATV 1800 I'm being charged the same price..... as they were OOS on the 1200.

*update

The other one did come back to life... but refused to finish the android install, it was on a loop. I pulled the SD card and it went to recovery screen, and from there did factory reset / wipe cache. Then tried to load Linux frodo, again it started but would just loop on the install. Restarting itself and trying again.

I will persevere a little longer with it. To be honest I'm just happy I got one of them working.

*further update

Both working now! Thanks guys..... you're a very kind and helpful lot!

Please can you let me know how did you able to fix your atv1200? I am also have same issues like you.

Well I can tell you where I went wrong. I believe I had the wrong files on my SD card to revert back to android. I noticed this as I was comparing the SD card contents with the revert to 4.1 files and noticed they were different. Once I had the right files on the sd card I dont think I actually needed to short the pins. just insert card and reset the usual way and be patient..... it can take a while for the whole process of reverting to kick start. I hope that is of some help Smile

It took a couple of tries to get some of the boxes back to life, but once I had the right files on the sd card I just kept trying and got there in the end with all my 1200 boxes.

Good to here
(2015-02-14, 22:47)morfmedia Wrote: [ -> ]I seem to have bricked my Mygica A11 / Geniatech 510B trying option one. It was previously working ok with Gotham 13.x beta. It now doesn't even light up etc. Any suggestions gratefully received. I've tried the 5-10 second hold technique hoping it will do an auto re install but no joy. If I need to get it connected to my PC, what cable do I need?

The Helix version posted here is for M6 devices yours is a M3 device.
You can try a bootcard with the correct m3 android firmware, but with no lights on the device it doesnt look good.
I have the latest 1/27/2015 build of kodi linux installed but for some reason i am unable to ssh into my atv1200. It is as if the daemon is not running (unable to connect and not even prompted for username). How do i enable ssh on the box?
@Robikonobi sshd is definitely running on that build. check your box's IP address from system info and connect to that, port 22, user root pass letmein. Check nothing on PC is blocking the connection.
(2015-02-22, 15:32)bobones Wrote: [ -> ]@Robikonobi sshd is definitely running on that build. check your box's IP address from system info and connect to that, port 22, user root pass letmein. Check nothing on PC is blocking the connection.
@bobones - Thanks for the reply. I am able to ssh into other linux boxes on my network. I keep getting a connection refused by my atv1200 when i connect at port 22 via ssh.
As I said, sshd definitely works in that build. Here's me logged in with PuTTY ...

Code:
[root@MX ~]# grep 'Kodi compiled' .kodi/temp/kodi.log
00:00:38 T:1093218304  NOTICE: Kodi compiled Jan 27 2015 by GCC 4.7.3 for Linux ARM (Thumb) 32-bit version 3.2.14 (197134)
[root@MX ~]#

Maybe you need to factory reset and reflash.
I have now installed the KODI build onto 2 of my ATV1200s and I am experiencing some issues.

Firstly, when adding video files I get an error via samba. I can resolve this by adding “new network location”, then adding the SMB location (my PC). I believe this is a known issue that has affected other builds.

Secondly when adding media it regularly “cut off” the search when searching for TV shows, and when I went back to the source and clicked scan it wouldn’t find anymore files. I would then remove the source and re-add it and it would generally happen again but stop at a different point.

Thirdly, I almost always use the list view…. however I did flick through some of the views whilst it was adding media and KODI repeatedly crashed, rebooted and crashed again as soon as I tried to change the “Movies” view. Not a problem for me as next time I will leave it on the original list view.

I am going to persevere with this by doing some cleaner installs (reverting to android then Linux KODI.. previously I was “upgrading” from Frodo), and giving it chance to fully build the Movie / TV list before I start dabbling within the interface, as I really like the KODI build apart from the issues I have outlined above. In case it’s relevant I use the “Back Row” skin.

*edit
I have a recollection of installing an early KODI build that still had the XBMC Gotham splash screen. And that I had problems with DTS on that build. Just to report that it seems DTS is working fine now on my system using the most recent build. Many thanks for your efforts.

*edit

The failing to load all tv shows seems to be a freezing issue that is unrelated to the fact I happened to be loading media. I just reverted to android, then flashed to Kodi. I left it for a while and when I came back after 15 minutes the remote is unresponsive.... just frozen. Has anyone else experienced KODI freezing?

......I'm beginning to think it might be the skin and not the build.
I may have resolved the issues. It seems they were caused by the skin I was using. I have changed to a new skin which has its own (but different) issues.

So ignore my last post...... move along..... nothing to see here.
as many skins as I've tried, I find myself always going back to amber (there's a new build that works with kodi).

vertical menus, favourites for my addons, smart playlists, and it's fast and just works.

when I upgraded to kodi and had the old amber skin running I had all sorts of problems.
installed helix build on my sumvision cylone slim 2 and couldnt get wifi working... i want to revert back to android but cant get a recovery image that works.. any help would be great
Why go back to bloatware slow old Android ?? Sure we know the ATV520 / Sumision Slim 2 both have the Broadcom WiFi chipset which is not compatible with the WiFi manager installed with Linux Frodo 12.4, Linux Gotham 13.x and the current Helix 14.0 Linux build. So for me with these smaller boxes I use Frodo 12.3 as the last and stable version that does not use the incompatible WiFi Network Manager. Then all you need do is the easy little WiFi enabling mod by MacBeth1975 by simply copying a small file using File Manager from one area in your system to another. Look back in this long thread as there are some posts last year about how to do that, and I remember some from me too. Far far better than downgrading to Android OS IMHO.

Either way you still have to first revert to Android 4.1 using the appropriate revert image files. You can download a copy of this Android 4.1 revert file from my Dropbox if you wish by clicking HERE I take absolutely no credit for these images files as they were produced by one of our brilliant compilers on this forum though cannot remember which of them prepped this one. Note in the readme file that the first attempt will throw a fail, and this is normal, so just do as instructed and repeat the process and all will be well. Once you are reverted to Android 4.1 you can then flash the Linux Frodo 12.3 compile dated 2nd January 2014 which I have also made available in my Dropbox HERE As always you do all this at your own risk of course. Both of these linked to files are only supplied by myself for your convenience as I repeat that neither of them do I take any credit for as they are both way beyond my abilities.

For me I feel it is not really worth the above hassle, except if you want your old Slim 2 for a spare box for yourself or maybe to sell second hand as a fully working unit. Much better IMHO and recommended is to rather move to a dual core ATV1200/Cyclone X2 box with Linux Helix 14.0 installed. They are not expensive these days so get hold of a MyGica ATV1200 box or an identical Sumvision Cyclone X2 box (yes the MyGica boxes are still available, so PM me if you cannot find any) and simply install the latest BoBones or AuxBox Helix 14.0 Linux compile as they work brilliantly.
thanks for your help ray.. im thinking off getting the sumvision x4.. would u advise this or should i choose another box as i dont want hassle ive had with this box tbh
Sorry but as far as I am aware there are still no Linux KODI builds available for these Amlogic quad core boxes, so you would be stuck with Android and all its resource hogging bloatware. So I still stick with the MyGica ATV1200/ Sumvision Cyclone X2 boxes. These are also a lot cheaper too than the new quad core boxes and IMHO I do not think that quad core boxes will actually give any real advantage over dual core for running Linux XBMC/KODI to be honest, but others may disagree. Sure they may boot a little faster and process listings little faster possibly but I find neither of those factors a problem with my dual core boxes which run very efficiently.

I could not be happier than with my ATV1200 running with Linux Helix 14.0. I cannot see how having a quad core box would actually improve the performance I am getting which is really only as fast as the internet connections allow of course, and there lies the limiting factor that quad core will no way improve. Whichever box you have got you will still be at the mercy of the internet and of course the various servers and how the various add-ons are maintained and updated by their respective developers.

For example I find live sports are very unreliable and a PITA most the time on XBMC/KODI and cannot recommend any of these boxes for that use. Even replay football add-ons are hit and miss as often not updated and ages out of date. For all the movies, TV series, music and normal live TV channels, then they are magic boxes of course and that is 95% of my personal use.

Let me know how you got on with the Android revert compile I sent you and what you ended up doing. PM me if you need any other help as I mentioned before.