Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2015-03-27, 19:24)redi Wrote: [ -> ]or instead of getting a long cable, get a wifi repeater with an Ethernet port. I went this route for over a year, worked well.

something like this:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...-_-Product

in the end I just bit the bullet and ran cat6 cable down the side of my house and put Ethernet jacks on the wall so I could connect my office to living room.

stick to Ethernet (in some way) and use the 14.1 helix build. it's working great for me (and I have the ATV520).

Ah yes that way is cooler but running the cat6 will allow for other uses too.
I just found out that when i kodi, if I press power on/off button on the remote, it switches off everything and it can be turned on also Smile So that's the way to go devs! Bravo Smile

I don't know if it's a bug in kodi, but when i press kodi's power icon, shouldn't it present the screen where various options are (shutdown, restart, quit, ...) ? At my setup, when I press that button, it shuts down the device, but it seems that it doesn't shut down the linux also...

About the repeater, I think that I'll go with a classic long ethernet cable... it takes me around 10m from my router to the device, but I believe that it'll be better...

btw, I have rss feed turned on, but it freezes no matter what...I'll try to change the screensaver to smth else than 'dim'...
(2015-03-27, 19:13)suntribe Wrote: [ -> ]Ok then, long cable it will be...

What about the red light? I also noticed that there is no way to put the device to 'sleep'... if i go to 'shutdown' in kodi, what happens exactly? Also, i noticed that if i leave the box turned on for entire day it simple freezes and there's nothing i can do except to plug the power out and plug it back in... Is this expected or something wrong happened during the flash?

Is there anywhere I can look for the logs of what caused the box to freeze?

Uf... tons of questions Smile

RSS screen saver and I have to turn on my TV first then resume the box in sleep3 (I think that is the command it calls when it "shuts down"). The light is on but so is the RF. When you push the Power Button on the remote it boots the device.
(2015-03-27, 23:23)suntribe Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know if it's a bug in kodi, but when i press kodi's power icon, shouldn't it present the screen where various options are (shutdown, restart, quit, ...) ? At my setup, when I press that button, it shuts down the device, but it seems that it doesn't shut down the linux also...

I think that is in the skin options. Try other skins and see if you get an option.
(2015-03-27, 23:29)xbmcdoc Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-03-27, 23:23)suntribe Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know if it's a bug in kodi, but when i press kodi's power icon, shouldn't it present the screen where various options are (shutdown, restart, quit, ...) ? At my setup, when I press that button, it shuts down the device, but it seems that it doesn't shut down the linux also...

I think that is in the skin options. Try other skins and see if you get an option.

Think so? I'm intentionally using the confluence skin as it's the default one and untill I setup everything as I want it to, I'm planning on using this skin Smile But, as I said before, it doesn't matter now, as I figured out that pressing the power btn on the remote works great Smile

What about the update of kodi? Are there any plans where kodi could be updated without the need to reflash the device, or is this impossible for some reason?
Guys, I have a new situation Smile I simply lost the network connection I can't reconnect to the network... In "System info -> network" I'm only seeing the primary dns set... How can I access the device itself if I connect it directly to another computer so I can ssh on it?

EDIT:
Forget about it... i restarted the box couple of times and then it connected to network...
(2015-03-27, 23:43)suntribe Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-03-27, 23:29)xbmcdoc Wrote: [ -> ]

Think so? I'm intentionally using the confluence skin as it's the default one and untill I setup everything as I want it to, I'm planning on using this skin Smile But, as I said before, it doesn't matter now, as I figured out that pressing the power btn on the remote works great Smile

What about the update of kodi? Are there any plans where kodi could be updated without the need to reflash the device, or is this impossible for some reason?

With this version of kodi you will always have to reflash. However there is a new version being worked on called EmbER which is supposed to do in system updates.

The other option is openelec which is another linux build of kodi but it won't work with our boxes.
Trying to put Helix on my box but it bricked it. No more signs of power at all. I followed the instructions but the box never came back on. I left it there for over 2 hours. Display never came back on showing the box was updating.
(2015-03-28, 17:40)RavRob Wrote: [ -> ]Trying to put Helix on my box but it bricked it. No more signs of power at all. I followed the instructions but the box never came back on. I left it there for over 2 hours. Display never came back on showing the box was updating.

Which box were you trying to flash?
(2015-03-27, 23:26)xbmcdoc Wrote: [ -> ]RSS screen saver and I have to turn on my TV first then resume the box in sleep3 (I think that is the command it calls when it "shuts down"). The light is on but so is the RF. When you push the Power Button on the remote it boots the device.

I turned on the feedreader screensave, but even without it turning on, it havent freeze yet, so let's say it's ok for now Smile

Today I bought ATV1200 (it was a good deal - around $35) so, soon I'll flash it with the same setup as ATV520e.. I'll let you know the results... Also, I bought powerline range extendors, but not the that was presented here - the wireless one, instead I took classic powerline extendor and it works great...
(2015-03-28, 17:40)RavRob Wrote: [ -> ]Trying to put Helix on my box but it bricked it. No more signs of power at all. I followed the instructions but the box never came back on. I left it there for over 2 hours. Display never came back on showing the box was updating.

So no LEDS?
Which box did you have?
No LEDs. It is a ATV310M
No LEDs. It is a ATV310M
(2015-03-29, 02:01)RavRob Wrote: [ -> ]No LEDs. It is a ATV310M

The ATV310M is a M3 device. This is for M6 devices only
To fix you'll have to get an usb serial adapter
I'm trying to figure out if AirPlay works on LinuxKodi setup? Do I have to install any additional drivers via ssh to make it work? On my iPhone device, I cannot get AirPlay to show up in the lock screen...