Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Disabling mouse movement in xbmcbuntu beyond <mousemove>noop</mousemove>
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I am currently running xbmcbuntu, the remote I have is the MINIX A2. Link
Like many similar remotes the A2 has both keyboard and mouse functions built in.

Personally I do not like the airmouse function and want to navigate xbmc using just the buttons.
(Some of the remote's buttons send keystrokes, but 2 send mouse-clicks)

Towards this end I have edited mouse.xml to the following code:

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <mouse>
            <mousemove>noop</mousemove>
            <leftclick>Select</leftclick>
            <rightclick>Back</rightclick>
            <middleclick>noop</middleclick>
            <doubleclick>noop</doubleclick>
            <wheeldown>noop</wheeldown>
            <wheelup>noop</wheelup>
            <mousedrag>noop</mousedrag>
    </mouse>
  </global>
</keymap>

<mousemove>noop</mousemove> seems to result in the following behavior:
  • The mouse position is still tracked by xbmc, and a moving cursor is displayed acccordingly
  • xbmc ignors the position of the mouse cursor, mouse-clicks are attributted to the currently in-focus control instead of the cursor position
I know how to make the cursor transparent editing Pointer.xml, that is not todays challenge.

Remaining issue:
The 2 remote buttons which send the left and right mouse clicks become unreliable when there is generous cursor movement.
  • If I lay the remote on the table (minimizing airmouse movement) both buttons work 100% of the time.
  • While I wave the remote around (even a little bit) the reliability of these 2 buttons drops below 50%

So I am looking for a new trick.
Does someone know how to "lock" the mouse cursor to a fixed set of coordinates, or how to tell the OS/xbmc to ignore all mouse movement?
Anybody?

Sorry to bump myself back to the front, but I feel this issue needs some attention.
These days many of the most attractive remotes for XBMC include an "Air Mouse" feature (not the vendors' fault, they are not designing it for XBMC)

If we subtract the Air-Mouse feature and map the front buttons, they become VERY good remotes for XBMC:
  • Only 10-12 buttons on the front face, reducing the clutter of the traditional RF remote layout
  • 2.4GHz transmission is faster an more reliable than IR
  • Full Keyboard on the back allows sensible use of the search feature

The current compatibility problems stems from:
XBMC allows you to turn the "mouse" on or off. But that also disables the mouse keys, and these remotes will have some of thier front facing buttons hardwired to be the mouse keys.

So what is needed is a more subtle disabling of Mouse features.
We need to be able to turn off mouse-movement, while leaving the mouse-buttons in place.

Please comment if you know a hack that could help us in the meantime.
Remember -- This is a international forum, as such the person(s) who may have the answer may not yet be awake or maybe at work or dealing with real life, thus not ready to come to your rescue.
Did you disable mouse over settings?

Why don't surf this place the mele had similar problem

Programming the Mele F10
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=143571

From post 43 to up
It's not possible - I have a couple of these remotes, and have been trying to use them without mouse mode. I've tried a few tricks, but ultimately watching the log whilst using the remote it seems it's just not possible to use left or right click whilst the mouse is in motion.

Left click is interpreted as "drag" and right click is ignored.

Assigning "mousedrag" to "select" causes multiple (many many many) select events as the mouse is moved, so not a solution.

It's a case of "tough luck" unfortunately! This particular remote won't do what you (or I) want....

For me personally, I can live with it, it's not a chore to remember to use the "cursor lock" button (the one that turns the mouse on and off on the remote) to disable the gyro. It's not a great "self-evident" solution for anyone else trying to use the system, however.

The gryo can be defaulted to "off" using a long press of the "cursor lock" button, but that's only any good so long as no-one accidentally turns it on again....

I took one of the remotes apart to see if it would be possible to physically disable the gyro - no such luck - it's all very much embedded.
I just wanted to thank the OP for his post. The keymap here helped me with my Zeki TAB803B media streamer box. I still see the mouse all over and since it is the same cursor icon as the default Android system I'm assuming it's not something that is reliant on the skin I'm using (Quartz) so I'll just have to teach my users to ignore the mouse and use the buttons only while in XBMC. Now to see what I can disable on the system (since I cannot rom it or root it.) What can I say, I got it for fifty bucks and in time for Christmas. Was completely unable to buy the Fire TV Stick or even the console anywhere in time.

So thanks again for making this work for me!
Also wanted to say thanks to the OP, this thread was mentioned on a different forum and has helped me.

In the long run though, I think this problem is likely to happen more and more as media player manufacturers add mouse type remotes, so ideally the 'ignore mouse' setting in Settings would actually completely diable anything related to the pointer.