Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So what backend are you going to use on firetv?
There is tuner hardware that is also the backend itself. There are also some porting projects in place for existing PVR software for Android, but it's very early in development. There are Android boxes that are running TVHeadend, though I wouldn't rely on this or expect it to work very well.
(2014-07-05, 04:42)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]There is tuner hardware that is also the backend itself. There are also some porting projects in place for existing PVR software for Android, but it's very early in development. There are Android boxes that are running TVHeadend, though I wouldn't rely on this or expect it to work very well.
The article "How to Watch and Record Live TV on Your XBMC Media Center" (http://lifehacker.com/5981757/how-to-wat...dia-center) talked about recording TV with either Windows or Linux on a PC.
I just wondered whether the Amazon Fire TV and Android are fast or stable
enough to record live OTA TV or watch video from internet website (e.g.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/soccer/brazil2014/).
It seems from your response that they are still not stable enough.
There is simply no software on android to record live tv from a tuner, or at least no software that works with XBMC. The one exception is that tvheadend can run, but it is presently only fairly beta-ish code.

On the other hand no one has said anything about watching online streams delivered over the internet.
Is it possible to change the home/microphone buttons, now that the device has been rooted?
Dumb remote control question. I have the $12 Ortek USB receiver for use with Harmony remotes. When I first got it, Amazon hadn't pushed the Harmony smart hub compatibility, so I was using my newer model remote to talk to the Ortek receiver and thus the fire. At that time, I had the damnable "double press received on directional keys" problem. I fixed it with a seemingly arbitrary number of repeats set in the Harmony software (I think it was 2 or something, it was NOT zero).

Now, I have purchased a second FireTV. Since I don't need the Ortek anymore on the TV using the smart hub (bluetooth compat), I moved the Ortek receiver to the new room/FireTV and am attempting to get one of my older Harmony (non-bluetooth) remotes to work. I have a Harmony One and an older one, probably 600 series. I absolutely CANNOT eliminate the double-taps. Same for both remotes. I've tried every repeat setting from 0-5. The actual Ortek remote doesn't produce the double presses. And yes I've tried learning the command directly from the Ortek to spoof on the Harmony instead of pulling from the database.

Googling this problem is...soul-crushing. Aside from the the repeat config (which I already know), you occasionally see people mention the inter-key delay or inter-device delay, but no suggestions as to what to do with them.

TL;DR: Anyone been able to eliminate double-pressed directional keys with the Ortek receiver + older-model Harmony remotes, via means OTHER THAN the 'repeat' setting, which I've already tried?

Thanks in advance!
(2014-07-05, 02:04)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]So what backend are you going to use on firetv?

Its not currently setup as I'm reconfiguring equipment but I've used WMC as backend and XBMC running on FireTV as front end.
The question was
Quote:Will Amazon Fire TV work fast enough with a OTA USB tuner, N900 wireless router and XBMC?
. The answer is "no" because there are no reliably working backends on android (and therefore fireOS).
Anyone else getting timed out connection notices when accessing SMB folders? Shutting down xbmc seems to fix it but it's annoying to do it all the time.
Hey all,

Any way to get the milkdrop visualization for audio to work on android for FireTV?

Thanks in advance!
(2014-07-06, 05:37)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]The question was
Quote:Will Amazon Fire TV work fast enough with a OTA USB tuner, N900 wireless router and XBMC?
. The answer is "no" because there are no reliably working backends on android (and therefore fireOS).

I see now that your post that I quoted was a rhetorical answer. My apologies for the confusion
So I'm having this weird problem where my NFS shared movies are stopping randomly while I'm watching them. Anyone else having this happen? I've changed my advancedsettings.xml buffer and cache to 100 and 4 respectively, but it's still happening. Any ideas?
I haven't had any issues with playing sense switching to NFS, though I did have XBMC (and the video but not the audio) freeze while playing but only once so far. My real problem is with cleaning or updating the library, cleaning has never successful always freezing and updating works most of the time but sometime gets stuck at preparing or what not. Both requiring a hard reboot to fix (xbmc is set as the launcher), the problem is I just finished ripping my library so there is a lot of messed up entries I need to fix.

I have my advancesettings.xml set with 60 mb for the buffer and 4x for the network.
Nickr out of curiosity what skin do you use with your xbmc?
(2014-07-07, 04:39)finalheaven Wrote: [ -> ]Nickr out of curiosity what skin do you use with your xbmc?
On the main lounge PC I use Quartz as the family (ie 15 year old stepson) kill me if I change anything.

On our bedroom setup I experiment a bit but I am currently enjoying Conq. Before that I enjoyed Black Glass Nova. BGN was a little slow on an Atom D525. Also quite cluttered. I like the cleanness of Conq.

On my laptop, which I don't seriously watch media on, but use as a testbed, I have been playing with Gaze lately.

On the kid's bedroom machines, I don't know what they use. I avoid children's bedrooms, particularly when they are watching their own choice of TV/Movies LOL.