Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Dolby Digital 5.1 - Partially Solved!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
First post on here so go easy on me! Big Grin

I purchased a Minix Neo8X-H android media box last week, I bought the more expensive H variant as it has Amlogic board that supports passthrough. Very impressed with the box apart from one thing, Dolby Digital 5.1 under XBMC.

I'll try and summarise where things currently stand. Minix NeoX8-H connected to TV via HDMI, X8-H connected to Kenwood AV Receiver via optical cable for surround sound.

Using a test file(which is in DTS format), I can successfully play from the the minix android home screen using both mxplayer and 4kplayer, both result in the amp outputting with 5.1 DTS. I can also play the same file within XBMC and again this results in in the amp outputting 5.1 DTS, therefore no issues with DTS, all working as expected. Great stuff Smile

Now onto Dolby Digital........ :-(
I have tested several files and dvd rips all containing DD audio tracks. Playing any of these DD test files from the minix home screen results in the amp correctly detecting and playing back the Dolby Digital 5.1 sound, this is the case for both MxPlayer and 4kplayer, this obviously proves the file is DD5.1 and that my amp is perfectly happy to detect this over the optical cable. Playing the same file from within xbmc results in the video being played but no audio, I have tried all manner of suggested settings within the 'Expert' section of the XBMC audio settings screen, trying every combination imaginable.

I hope the above steps confirm that from a test perspective I've covered everything logically to identify XBMC as the culprit. I have tried all kinds of source that contain dolby audio tracks and xbmc just refuses to output any sound whatsoever.

I have put this post together to demonstrate that I've tried to logically test things and try and isolate the 3 components (Amp, NeoX8-H, XMBC) to hopefully identify the culprit, with above test I've narrowed this down to XBMC not handling the DD5.1 and at this present moment I'm at a loss as to what else I can try so through I'd post on this XBMC forum in the hope that and XBMC expert can point me in the right direction. :-)

Any help gratefully received, many thanks in advance.
Have you enabled "HDMI" as the output audio device in the Minix settings and enabled passthrough in XBMC?
I got the same device and works perfectly here.
debug log (wiki) and screenshots of your audio settings.
(2014-07-11, 10:37)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]Have you enabled "HDMI" as the output audio device in the Minix settings and enabled passthrough in XBMC?
I got the same device and works perfectly here.

Hi, Yes, enabled those settings as you have described. I've tried with Minix version of XBMC and also the 13.1 version direct from XBMC website, which version are you using? I'm pleased to hear you have exactly the same box and you have Dolby working from within XBMC. Can you confirm you have the same setup, i.e. HDMI to TV for image, Optical cable to amp for surround sound. As I mentioned, DTS is fine so I'm sure it is just a config problem somewhere within the settings.

Is it something stupid like I have to reboot the box after changing settings?
Ah, if you use spdif, you have to enable spdif/optical in Minix audio settings.
I'm using HDMI for passthrough.
(2014-07-11, 11:35)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, if you use spdif, you have to enable spdif/optical in Minix audio settings.
I'm using HDMI for passthrough.

Already have spdif set in Minix audio settings(via configuration tile on home screen). Looked for anything related to this in the Android settings screen that may also help but it only lists standard volume controls for notifications etc. All very frustrating at the moment as the box is pretty useless to me without support for 5.1 from XBMC. I will put some screenshots of audio settings and log file when i get home this evening.

Out of interest, are you using the Minix version of XBMC?
(2014-07-11, 11:39)riggsy Wrote: [ -> ]Out of interest, are you using the Minix version of XBMC?
Yes, I'm the one handling it Wink
I'll do tests with spdif this WE.
(2014-07-11, 11:53)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-07-11, 11:39)riggsy Wrote: [ -> ]Out of interest, are you using the Minix version of XBMC?
Yes, I'm the one handling it Wink
I'll do tests with spdif this WE.

Ha ha, glad I stumbled upon this forum!

Whilst Minix are replying on their forum, I'm not finding them particularly helpful as they cannot seem to accept I've set everything as per their instructions and that I've proven my amp will handle the both the DTS and DD files at Minix level and also DTS at XBMC level, with DD failing at XBMC level by performing simple logical tests. I'll hold my hands up if I've done something stupid but the fact DTS is working through XBMC would suggest all is OK with my config and something funky is going on with DD in XBMC.

As a bit of prep, should I stick with the Minix version of XBMC for the time being or swap and try the stanadard 13.1 version, or simply wait for your reply after testing. Really appreciate you looking into this, hopefully a minor tweak somewhere will solve the issue.

Thanks
Ah, didn't get that DTS was working.
If one work, the other should, too, really.

Please try to play this file: http://www.semperpax.be/owncloud/public....b1a1a17535
and share the xbmc log.
(2014-07-11, 12:54)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, didn't get that DTS was working.
If one work, the other should, too, really.

Please try to play this file: http://www.semperpax.be/owncloud/public....b1a1a17535
and share the xbmc log.

Yes, just to confirm, DTS is working from XBMC, no problems whatsoever with DTS. DD5.1. results in no sound from XBMC. Works fine outside of XBMC.
I should also say, my amp has specific lights to indicatate DTS and Dolby so I can also confirm it is true DTS and not some form of virtual surround being performed by the amp. I hope that helps.

Unfortunately not at home at the moment but will try file as soon as I get home this evening.

Many thanks
Right, tested file, still the same, works fine from MINIX, does not work from XBMC, one thing I have noticed is that when playing from XBMC, amp remains in digital mode but 'stereo' appears. No sound is played back at all.
Here is my log, I hope I have done it properly!

Http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?=244666
log doesnt work
(2014-07-11, 19:42)helta Wrote: [ -> ]log doesnt work
This is the link I was sent
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=244666

Apologies for incorrect link, doh!
Did the tests and all is well on my side.

I had an issue that I had not sound from DD/DTS because of a conflict with HDMI, though.
It seems that even if SPDIF is selected, HDMI was used if I had HDMI ARC enabled between my TV and the receiver.
Pages: 1 2 3