Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: My Fire TV Setup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There are lots of posts and comments about which device is the best for running XBMC. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. My personal favorite device so far for running XBMC has been my Fire TV, and this demo shows why. It does everything I want it to do in one small, quiet device so that I don't have to mess around with other devices for streaming Netflix, watching TV, game emulation, etc. It has completely replaced my HTPC, which costed about $400 more than that Fire TV.

We have a universal remote for turning the TV on and off and changing the volume on our stereo system. Everything else is done through the Fire TV. No calls from the wife asking how to operate a device or what input is needed for Netflix.

Let me know if you like, hate, or have suggestions or questions about my setup.

Credit to all Kodi contributors for such an amazing media center and to Koying for SPMC, which works wonderfully on the Fire TV.
What backend are you using for your Live TV?
(2014-10-27, 19:50)mhulvey Wrote: [ -> ]What backend are you using for your Live TV?

NextPVR.
awesome setup Smile

what are u using to boot straight into XBMC ?
What remote are you using while in the HBO GO app?
(2014-10-27, 20:10)azza1989 Wrote: [ -> ]awesome setup Smile

what are u using to boot straight into XBMC ?

Thanks! I'm running SPMC, rather than XBMC, which can run as a launcher so nothing else is needed to boot directly into it.

(2014-10-27, 20:17)mjbxx Wrote: [ -> ]What remote are you using while in the HBO GO app?

F10 Mele Pro. It works, but I don't really like using it because it feels very hackish and I don't like having to use a second remote. I check pretty much every day for the release of the official HBO Go app for Fire TV. It was promised by year-end so they still have a couple months, but I figured it would have been released by now...
Hi Bradwatson,

your setup looks amazing Smile
Is it possible to share some details/instructions how to setup emulators (like N64) on a Firetv/XBMC/SPMC?
(2014-10-28, 16:44)jenpie Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Bradwatson,

your setup looks amazing Smile
Is it possible to share some details/instructions how to setup emulators (like N64) on a Firetv/XBMC/SPMC?

Thanks! Getting emulators to work took a little trial and error, but through the help of this thread, I think it could be setup properly in under an hour or so. I'm using Rom Collection Browser rather than Advanced Launcher.

I never had any success with any of the retroarch emulators and XBMC. My setup uses different emulators that cost about $2-3 each. I posted a few tips on how I got things working in that thread, but feel free to reach out with specific questions.
Nice!

I ended up buying a harmony 350, then a FLIRC for an IR receiver and did a little mapping of keys so we have 1 remote for everything. Smile
Likely overkill and I spent like $80 on a remote to support an $85 device.....all to make the wife (and kids) happy.
We're watching Live TV using the PVR client within XBMC, PLEX, Amazon Instance Video, Netflix, ...etc

Works very well...except for a small issue between the PVR client and server that will be fixed in the nightly builds soon.
Are you doing any Path Substitution or anything in your advancedsettings.xml to save space on the FTV? I having an issue with an error message saying the FTV is out of storage space. I need a solution.

Also, that skin is cool, pretty straight forward. I bought the FTV for my parents (I have a more robust HTPC setup for me) and I am running Aeon MQ5...they have too many questions about how to do stuff, so I am trying to go with a really simple skin. I will try this.

Any other setups you have with this skin? How smooth is live tv playback?
(2014-11-02, 01:38)SheHateMe Wrote: [ -> ]Are you doing any Path Substitution or anything in your advancedsettings.xml to save space on the FTV? I having an issue with an error message saying the FTV is out of storage space. I need a solution.

Also, that skin is cool, pretty straight forward. I bought the FTV for my parents (I have a more robust HTPC setup for me) and I am running Aeon MQ5...they have too many questions about how to do stuff, so I am trying to go with a really simple skin. I will try this.

Any other setups you have with this skin? How smooth is live tv playback?
I'll not doing any path substitution, but I have heard of others doing that to help with storage space.

I haven't tried this skin on any other builds, but I really like it with this one. Live TV playback is perfect.

Another great, simple skin is Xperience1080. It's great for having android apps on the home screen. Looks great and easy to use.
Love your skin setup. Would like to setup mine the same way for again the wife. If it isn't simple she will not use it. First what is that skin you are using and any help would help.
Eminence is the skin. Extremely simple to setup and use.
Trying to find eminence skin now