Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi on MAC OS Frustrations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

Been using XBMC for some time, first time posting in the forums. I bought a Mac Mini this year and have been using it as a replacement for my ageing Windows based Media Centre PC. On the Mac I have the latest XBMC Gotham 13.2 as well as a TV and Movie Library stored on an attached HDD. I have MySQL installed and library info is stored there which is also accessed by 2 x Raspberry PIs in other rooms

I've been using it for a few months and have some frustrations that I haven't been able to sort, any advice welcome.

1. I'm using SMBUp to create Samba Shares for my sources so that they can be accessed by the PIs. I couldnt seem to get this going without this 3rd party app. Unfortunately, with my limited MAC OS scripting knowledge I haven't been able to get this to start automatically on system startup. I would like to either get rid of this plugin but have the shares work, or get this to start up automatically
  2. MySQL also will not start automatically on System Startup, i did install the startup package.
  3. Remote Control Problems. Tried using both an apple remote and my Logitech Harmony One. It works fine for a while, then the system starts taking commands from it. Pressing down shows the mute icon, pressing play/pause starts/stops Itunes Music etc. Couldn't find a proper solution to this anywhere.
  4. Sleep Problems. The Mac would not go to sleep reliably with XBMC running. I installed a 3rd party app called 'Please sleep'. which in fairness does what it says on the tin. No problem going to sleep now, only challenge is that for some reason it will do it amost immediately after you pause video playback which is very frustrating. Luckily the Mini starts up very quickly, but there must be another way around this. It's like the sleep timer has already expired.

If I could sort these I would have a lovely setup Smile
(2014-11-03, 01:29)cluttrell Wrote: [ -> ]
  1. I'm using SMBUp to create Samba Shares for my sources so that they can be accessed by the PIs. I couldnt seem to get this going without this 3rd party app. Unfortunately, with my limited MAC OS scripting knowledge I haven't been able to get this to start automatically on system startup. I would like to either get rid of this plugin but have the shares work, or get this to start up automatically.

Have you tried using the IP of your mini rather than the name when accessing from your PI's? This has always worked for me, I just have to manually "Add Network Location" rather than using the smb browser, enter the IP instead of the name and then the name of the shared folder.

I have a 2009 mac mini, I found that the Mac remote was not the greatest. I have a friend that experimented with a Harmony remote but again found that it was not ideal.

I use the official XBMC remote app on iPhone and iPad. Works perfectly.

I think there is a XBMC remote Chrome extension https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detai...kejcfhcmjp that I've also used off a netbook that I have close to the TV.

If you have a smart phone, or if you pick up a cheap second-hand iPod, I would look at using that with the remote app over a traditional remote.
(2014-11-03, 01:29)cluttrell Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

Been using XBMC for some time, first time posting in the forums. I bought a Mac Mini this year and have been using it as a replacement for my ageing Windows based Media Centre PC. On the Mac I have the latest XBMC Gotham 13.2 as well as a TV and Movie Library stored on an attached HDD. I have MySQL installed and library info is stored there which is also accessed by 2 x Raspberry PIs in other rooms

I've been using it for a few months and have some frustrations that I haven't been able to sort, any advice welcome.

1. I'm using SMBUp to create Samba Shares for my sources so that they can be accessed by the PIs. I couldnt seem to get this going without this 3rd party app. Unfortunately, with my limited MAC OS scripting knowledge I haven't been able to get this to start automatically on system startup. I would like to either get rid of this plugin but have the shares work, or get this to start up automatically
  2. MySQL also will not start automatically on System Startup, i did install the startup package.
  3. Remote Control Problems. Tried using both an apple remote and my Logitech Harmony One. It works fine for a while, then the system starts taking commands from it. Pressing down shows the mute icon, pressing play/pause starts/stops Itunes Music etc. Couldn't find a proper solution to this anywhere.
  4. Sleep Problems. The Mac would not go to sleep reliably with XBMC running. I installed a 3rd party app called 'Please sleep'. which in fairness does what it says on the tin. No problem going to sleep now, only challenge is that for some reason it will do it amost immediately after you pause video playback which is very frustrating. Luckily the Mini starts up very quickly, but there must be another way around this. It's like the sleep timer has already expired.

If I could sort these I would have a lovely setup Smile

Hi,

3) The remote control issue can be resolved by installing a program called Candelair (https://www.iospirit.com/labs/candelair/). This will prevent the issue you are having where pressing the play button on the Apple remote will cause iTunes to start.

4) XBMC has a built in sleep function, Settings->System->Power saving. Change "Shutdown function timer" to the number of minutes to go to sleep when idle. Change "Shutdown function" to "sleep".

Hope this helps.
(2014-11-03, 01:56)wgstarks Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-11-03, 01:29)cluttrell Wrote: [ -> ]
  1. I'm using SMBUp to create Samba Shares for my sources so that they can be accessed by the PIs. I couldnt seem to get this going without this 3rd party app. Unfortunately, with my limited MAC OS scripting knowledge I haven't been able to get this to start automatically on system startup. I would like to either get rid of this plugin but have the shares work, or get this to start up automatically.

Have you tried using the IP of your mini rather than the name when accessing from your PI's? This has always worked for me, I just have to manually "Add Network Location" rather than using the smb browser, enter the IP instead of the name and then the name of the shared folder.

Thanks - I should have been clearer in my description. I don't have any problem accessing the shares from the PIs once SMBUp is started. If it's not, then I can't access the shares even locally on the Mac Mini itself. I did try adding them with the IP initially, but the issue was that the share didn't work with just the native sharing in the Mac OS. It's been a while since I set this up initially so I could try it again, if you could describe exactly how you set up your shares on the MAC OS and added them to XBMC and your PI's that would be great.
Re apple remote issues:

Try disable start of xbmc with remote (see xbmc settings)
Try disabling xbmc from automatically starting at boot time EDIT - this worked for me with no need for candelair
Try disabling the click feedback on navigation (one pwrson says it worked for the)
Try new battery
Try a new remote or see repair/testing below ...

Reboot between each step above

See

this post and the one after it

Also try apple remote repair - see here

First, test it with something else like vlc or itunes ..
RE sleep - ensure that you have "keep device alive" or what it is called in xbmc audio settings to a sane timeout. Mostly the audio device is preventing sleep (not sure but i guess you want xbmc to allow sleeping when the movie is paused - right?)
(2014-11-03, 17:02)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]RE sleep - ensure that you have "keep device alive" or what it is called in xbmc audio settings to a sane timeout. Mostly the audio device is preventing sleep (not sure but i guess you want xbmc to allow sleeping when the movie is paused - right?)

Hi, I've set "Keep Audio Device Alive' to off, the power saving sleep timer is set to suspend after 20mins. I've disabled the 3rd party extension and will see if it sleeps by itself - thanks for the suggestion

Hi,

Quote:3) The remote control issue can be resolved by installing a program called Candelair (https://www.iospirit.com/labs/candelair/). This will prevent the issue you are having where pressing the play button on the Apple remote will cause iTunes to start.

Thanks, I've tried this before but I've reinstalled it and will see how it goes!

Quote:4) XBMC has a built in sleep function, Settings->System->Power saving. Change "Shutdown function timer" to the number of minutes to go to sleep when idle. Change "Shutdown function" to "sleep".

I had this set previously but it didn't seem to work. Have tried it again and taken the other suggestion about the audio timeout into consideration as well. Wel'll see how it goes.
(2014-11-03, 21:49)cluttrell Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-11-03, 17:02)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]RE sleep - ensure that you have "keep device alive" or what it is called in xbmc audio settings to a sane timeout. Mostly the audio device is preventing sleep (not sure but i guess you want xbmc to allow sleeping when the movie is paused - right?)

Hi, I've set "Keep Audio Device Alive' to off, the power saving sleep timer is set to suspend after 20mins. I've disabled the 3rd party extension and will see if it sleeps by itself - thanks for the suggestion

Hi,

Quote:3) The remote control issue can be resolved by installing a program called Candelair (https://www.iospirit.com/labs/candelair/). This will prevent the issue you are having where pressing the play button on the Apple remote will cause iTunes to start.

Thanks, I've tried this before but I've reinstalled it and will see how it goes!

I got it working without candelair - I needed to use a delay when launching at login with auto login at boot or start xbmc using the menu key - I also use playbuttonpatch https://github.com/thebitguru/play-button-itunes-patch
could someone please give me a call ***** im having a problem downloading movies on Apple MacBook Pro I need someone to talk me through it thanks a lot

MOD EDIT: I'm going to do you a favor and edit out your phone number. That's the last thing you want to post on the internet..
NSA can Show you howto do it - i can forward you Wink
No need to forward to the NSA, they already know.