Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: No audio after Ubuntu update
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
XBMC 13.2 Git:0f3db05
Running 12.04 and up to date as of Nov 9, 2014. System has a GeForce 9400.

Debug log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/8901450/

Audio was working fine in xbmc prior to the update. I noticed the update included the open source nvidia drivers so I downloaded and installed the latest nvidia proprietary drivers (340.58). Didn't help. Also tried (331.79) which was working and 319.60.

Edit: I should note that xbmc shows a red audio warning icon. chrome & vlc are able to play mp4 files w/stereo audio over HDMI. Symptoms sound like pulse but it should be uninstalled.

Edit2: verified pulseaudio isn't running by trying to remove the package

"Package pulseaudio is not installed, so not removed"
press "+" on the keyboard.
Thank you. + worked. How did the '+' solve the problem?

Also, very minor issue but I seemed still have lost the GUI sounds (as long as I have multi-channel playback I'm ok though).
Check the Keep Audio Alive configuration and make sure you have the correct sound device chosen.
I changed the "Keep Audio Alive" to always and have the right device configured (also have tried all devices). Playback works, just no GUI sounds.
then post your Debug Log
Here's the log starting up xbmc and navigating menus with "Keep Audio Alive" to always and GUI sounds set to always

http://paste.ubuntu.com/8908529/
Remove your asoundrc / asound.conf and try without that dmixer available.
(2014-11-10, 08:29)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Remove your asoundrc / asound.conf and try without that dmixer available.

Looked but can't find any asoundrc and/or asound.conf in my .xbmc directory or in any other directory for that matter.
It's either in your $HOME called .asoundrc or in /etc/asound.conf
There was a .asoundrc in $HOME. I removed, restarted xbmc but that didn't help. Do you want a new log?
Nope. No idea.

Other systemwide audio works, right?

Verify with speaker-test -c2 -D plughw:0,X

replace X with the output you see from your aplay -l
speaker-test works. I found out its not just GUI sounds. Can't hear content from youtube or mp4 files that are stereo. 5.1 content plays find though in xbmc.

The same stereo streams work in Chrome (HTML 5 content).
Bump...anyone with a recommendation of something to try next?
Another data point. I've isolated it down to passthrough audio. Passthrough audio works in XBMC, stereo doesn't (XBMC thinks it can control the volume).

All other apps I've tried play the non-pasthrough content without incident.
Pages: 1 2