Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Recordings don't play on Linux PVR Client
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have the WMC PVR Client working on a Windows XBMC installation but the recordings do not play on an XBMCBuntu installation. I see the recording list and when I select a recording to play an X server screen flashes and then it's back to XBMC. I'm guessing it is related to authentication but I haven't figured it out just yet. Anyone else experience this issue?
Check out the debug log for serverwmc. In the past when I had auth issues I could see the issue in there.
I just checked the logs and didn't see any authentication errors. Any other thoughts?
Now that I think about it I think the auth errors should up as the path not being accessible. It didn't flat out say it was an authentication error. Nothing like that in there? Are you pointing to the recording share by name or IP? If by name then can your xbmcbuntu box resolve that name? You said its working on a windows box. Is that the same box that is hosting WMC and ServerWMC or a different system from that?
(2014-11-12, 16:51)sublimnl Wrote: [ -> ]Now that I think about it I think the auth errors should up as the path not being accessible. It didn't flat out say it was an authentication error. Nothing like that in there? Are you pointing to the recording share by name or IP? If by name then can your xbmcbuntu box resolve that name? You said its working on a windows box. Is that the same box that is hosting WMC and ServerWMC or a different system from that?

ServerWMC is on a different box that the Windows XBMC client. I know the XBMCBuntu box can resolve the hostnames. It can pull down the recording list just fine by host name, and I have other shares for movies and such that resolve and the XBMCBuntu box can play from without issue. Name resolution errors is a good thought though. From looking at the logs it's almost like it isn't even trying rather than failing. I see nothing that looks like an error.
The reason I asked about name resolution is that the recording list is pulled down based on what you specify in the pvr.wmc config screen in xbmc but access to the recording share is controlled by whatever you specify as the recording share path within serverwmc. So really one could have been IP while the other was by name. If that's not the case then logs will probably be needed. I'm sure the guys here will want your xbmc debug log.
Thanks for explaining that. I figured that's how it worked but wasn't certain. I will try using IPs instead of hostnames and see if anything changes. I have the recordings stored in on a different share than the WMC recording folder. I can't find a way to change that path in ServerWMC. Do you happen to know how? I'll do some Googling as well. Thanks again!
In ServerWMC on the Folders tab is where you specify the location of the Recorded TV folder. Speaking of which, did you check the box and fill in the username and password at the bottom of that tab? Does that account have both Share and NTFS permissions to that location?
from the sounds of it you have an additional "watched folder" that you are moving recordings to? This is configured in WMC itself in the recorded TV library. Make sure you specify a UNC path for the watched location and make sure whatever name/IP you use is resolvable by the client. unlike the default recording directory (where you can set in ServerWMC what you want the network path to be) the additional watched folders are taken verbatim from WMC, converted to SMB and sent to clients. As sublimnl already mentioned, make sure you have a windows user that has permission to ALL shares where live TV and recordings will live, and enter that username/pwd in ServerWMC (it then embeds them in the smb:// paths it sends to the clients).

For debugging purposes you can turn on Debug_RequestAllRecordings option in ServerWMC config file, this will cause the clients to request the path to the recording file when playback is attempted rather than getting all the paths when they first get the recording list and playback not involving the backend at all. This would then show on the ServerWMC log the exact SMB path sent to your client. Post a ServerWMC log on pastebin and let's have a look