Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Is Auto 3D switching a planned feature?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I like the idea that Kodi now automatically selects the preferred 3D mode when starting 3D content, this makes it much more family friendly.

I'm just wondering if this is going to be taken to the next step where kodi actually passes the mode through to the TV so that it switches itself over without intervention.

I have always liked the idea that my 6 year old daughter knows how to find her way around XBMC/Kodi and start the movies she wants, it would be perfect if when she selected to play one of her 3D movies I did not have to go over and switch the TV to the right mode for her.
What you want to do is only possible via certain HDMI-CEC hardware.

I believe the RPi can do this already.
Not entirely sure what that means but I don't use a RPi I use a windows laptop connected to the TV via HDMI

I'll take that as a no though
(2014-11-19, 02:48)lrusak Wrote: [ -> ]What you want to do is only possible via certain HDMI-CEC hardware.

I'm told this isn't actually accurate. Extending the ability to more systems may actually be possible, but requires the foundation to get some 3d tvs to devs. Doing so is currently only a discussion internally.
I've seen a few addon scripts for this. They're specific to a brand of tv, but if you search you might get lucky.
Unfortunately there is no common API on Windows to forward the desired 3D mode to the display. Thus adding this feature to Wndows will require that we make use of vendor specific drivers/libraries. A community member did a POC once, but didn't go any further from there. If you have a passive 3D display (no shutter glasses) you could run Linux (could test it by booting OpenElec from a USB stick) and use the line interlaced 3D mode. This mode is currently only available in OpenGL and thus not Windows which uses DirectX.

edit: please edit your first post (if you can) and give your thread it a more descriptive title.
See this is what does not make sense to me you are talking about common API's and vendor specifics.

As far as I know there is just a signal embedded in the 3D video data that specifies that what you are watching is 3D and what type.

if there was anything vendor specific about this then how would it even be possible for my sony 3D blu-ray player to trigger the switch on my LG 3D TV

So surely the signal that triggers that switch is universal otherwise it would not work between devices of different brands.

And linux is not an option because the laptop on the TV is not only used for kodi.
The signalling is standard and part of the HDMI spec. You set a bit in the avinfo frame (data transmitted outside of the normal pixel data) to signal 3D mode.
However kodi has no way of modifying that bit without using a non-standard API.

The Pi does have an API for setting this, and on Pi builds this does work.
However I don't think any other platform has a consistent API for requesting this.

Individual graphics cards may provide a proprietary API for setting a 3D mode which could theoretically be supported with custom kodi code to detect the graphics card,
the driver version and call specific functions if it's known to be supported. This would require a dev with the same OS, graphics card and driver version as you to add the code.
And this sort of non-generic code is typically hard to get accepted into kodi's source tree.
I suspect many graphics cards do not provide the option at all.

It's possible that some of the platforms (windows/linux/OSX/android) will produce a standard API for this feature in the future, and I'm sure kodi would support it (although that would only help drivers that specifically support the new API, so you may need a new graphics card, or hope for a driver update to add support)
with vendor specific I was referring to GPU vendors. There is no common API among GPU drivers on Windows to send the required signal, so you need to use driver specific functions
I wonder how easy it would be to get access to the necessary driver specific functions in Windows. I think at this point we surely have enough friends at NVIDIA and Intel to get access on those ends. AMD might be an issue.
(2014-11-19, 04:02)natethomas Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-11-19, 02:48)lrusak Wrote: [ -> ]What you want to do is only possible via certain HDMI-CEC hardware.

I'm told this isn't actually accurate. Extending the ability to more systems may actually be possible, but requires the foundation to get some 3d tvs to devs. Doing so is currently only a discussion internally.

If anyone braves stores on Black Friday, pick up some 3DTVs to send to these guys
it's probably cheaper to buy the stuff right in place than shipping it from the US and having to mess with customs
Is it possible to automatically trigger a resolution switch when playing 3D content?

For me, switching the resolution to1280x1470 is enough to switch my TV into 3D mode. Unfortunately, I need to do this manually though the GUI or xrandr.