Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: VDR with OpenElec fine tuning, please help!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
HI,

I'm struggling to fine tune OE and VDR VNSI on latest OpenElec stable 4.2. It is working fine, but I would like to have some more customization to fit my ideas, if possible. Single seat install.

1) for timsehiftig I only use skip back and ff xx seconds (never rewind or forward). Can VDR be configured (remote mapping) that if I press left or right buttons on remote in fullscreen live tv playback that it skips xx seconds back or ff? Like to skip 15s,next press 30s, next press 60s, etc back?
Is it possible to adjust the time of skip in seconds in incremental way? That is, first pressing back skips 15 seconds back, second pressing 30 seconds, third pressing 3 minutes, or anything like this?

2) one more question, not related to timeshifting: in a single seat client/server configuration can I schedule a recording, put my htpc to sleep or
hibernate and will VDR resume HTPC for recording?

3) Are all the remote control functions customizable for VDR too? For example, if I'm in liveTV fullscreen (no OSD) and I press EPG, I get only the EPG in right part of the screen for the channel I'm tuned in. Is it possible to configure the way that if I press Guide on remote the full EPG window shows up?

please do not redirect me to OE forums, the VDR section is basically not more helpful then to figure out yourselfSmile

Many thanks!
1) this is basic Kodi functionality. Currently yo can only define the step size for a single button press. We have change request in the pipe for additive seeking: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/5407
please don't comment on Github if it is not directly related to the code.

2) There is no generic function for this. I have a script hooked into shutdown process which reads active timers from VDR and programs the HTPS for wakeup.

3) This is basic PVR functions. You can program some button to bring you directly into the timeline view.
(2014-11-19, 12:59)FernetMenta Wrote: [ -> ]1) this is basic Kodi functionality. Currently yo can only define the step size for a single button press. We have change request in the pipe for additive seeking: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/5407

I understand, excellent. I don't really get the point based on the information I read on Github, is it still a work in progress and something that will be available in near future? Additive seeking is a very very good and important option. Those who used software that supports it out of the box -- like Media Portal -- are using only additive seeking. User who didn't use it are not aware how much better it is, therefore they do not need or want this option. The best would be to have both, user can choose which one to use.
Anyway, there are some interesting comments on Github, and I must agree that it should be highly customizable in terms of seconds, etc.
Do you know when can we expect this to be available? I don't ask for a given day, just a rough estimate, few weeks, months, years...

(2014-11-19, 12:59)FernetMenta Wrote: [ -> ]2) There is no generic function for this. I have a script hooked into shutdown process which reads active timers from VDR and programs the HTPS for wakeup.
So it should work without any problems using your script? Once activated/added, it would work fully automatically? I just select something I wish to record in timeline EPG and that's it?
I assume HTPC should be in standby (S3 or S4), power off would not work for resume?

(2014-11-19, 12:59)FernetMenta Wrote: [ -> ]3) This is basic PVR functions. You can program some button to bring you directly into the timeline view.

By "this is a basic PVR function" you mean that in fullscreen live TV if EPG is pressed it cannot be remapped to show timeline EPG? It can only show for the given channel? I thought keymap and lirc xml's could be customized.

Many thanks for your professional work and help!
1) we are in beta3 for 14.0. After having released 14.0 end of this year, we look again into new features.

2) this is my script. it wakes my box from S5 http://pastebin.com/ndAgFKzS
I have a custom ir receiver with an integrated timer. you can change the script to use ACPI

3) with basic PVR I mean this is not vnsi specific and you find information on how to map buttons in the main section of this forum or the wiki.
(2014-11-19, 12:59)FernetMenta Wrote: [ -> ]1) this is basic Kodi functionality. Currently yo can only define the step size for a single button press. We have change request in the pipe for additive seeking: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/5407

I'm trying to find more information regarding this additive seeking (which is a must according to me) in the forum, but no luck. Is it present in latest Helix? How could I enable and configure this?

is there a place on the forum where I can ask for this feature if not implemented yet?

Many thanks!
only in the dev space https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/5407
please refrain from posting there if not related to the code
(2015-02-03, 21:53)FernetMenta Wrote: [ -> ]only in the dev space https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/5407
please refrain from posting there if not related to the code

Thanks!
Quoting from Github:
"The feature can be enabled in gui settings->playback->Using additive seeking instead of variable speed seeking"
But I don't see this anywhere in my OE 5.0. Or how can I add or enable this functionality in Kodi?

Is this a work in progress and something that will be added to Kodi in near future or not to be expected soon?
There are only a few areas where Windows based MediaPortal is far better then Kodi, and this is one of the major areas. It is really strange this isn't already implemented in Kodi, this is a must for any serious HTPC software.
Otherwise, I find Kodi (especially OpeneElec an excellent software, much more reliable and better in almost every aspect then MediaPortal is.
It is not implemented yet. We wait on rebase of the author but there was no response.
(2015-02-04, 12:55)FernetMenta Wrote: [ -> ]It is not implemented yet. We wait on rebase of the author but there was no response.

Thanks!
Can we open a feature request for additive seeking, in order to share thoughts regarding this very important feature (as it is not allowed to comment on Github)?

As far as I see, it is not so hard to add this functionality and this would make Kodi so much better!
Some users (who never used additive seeking) don't even know what they are missing! In addition, those who for some strange reason don't want this option, can still easily change to the setting as it it now and continue to use Kodi as they did. A software is always so much better when you can choose and customize according to personal needs, preferences.

EDIT: as xhaggi on github commented, it would be so nice if you @FernetMenta could take over this project, then it would be done for sure and in a very professional way! RESPECT
You can count on my testing, if needed!