Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Attempting to Uninstall
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

I'm having issues with XBMC on my ATV2 version 5.3, so I'm attempting to uninstall xbmc via terminal, so I can reinstall (using wiki instructions).

This command:
apt-get remove org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2

Results in this:
Reading package lists... Error!
E: Write error - write (28: No space left on device)
E: Can't mmap an empty file
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened

I have no idea how to free up space? Basic user. Help!

Thanks! Alicia
Freeing up space is covered in our wiki (i can't look it up for you - wiki is blocked from here...)
Hey there, Thanks for your quick reply and your tip! This is what I found on wiki:

4.9 Not enough space/memory
Have you run out of space on your ATV2? Check with (via SSH) the df -k command. If any /dev/disk* filesystems are at 100%, use du -h / to see what's taking up space. or to show which files are, for example, bigger then 9 Mb do find / -size +9000b
First places to check are:
Note: you can clear out the files in these folders, but don't delete the folders themselves
/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/addons/packages <- As of XBMC v12, this folder should be limited to 200 MB by default, and shouldn't need to be manually cleaned out.
/private/var/mobile/Library/Caches/AppleTV/Video/LocalAndRental
/private/var/mobile/Library/Caches/AppleTV/Video/Other
/private/var/cache/apt/archives/
See also #Thumbnails for saving space with smaller thumbs or moving them to a network location.

So, I did the df-k command and got this:

Apple-TV:~ root# df -k

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on

/dev/disk0s1s1 612344 531192 75032 88% /

devfs 27 27 0 100% /dev

/dev/disk0s1s2 7170056 7154216 15840 100% /private/var

Then, I did this to see what's taking up space:

Apple-TV:~ root# du -h

4.7M ./Library/Caches/TSSAgent

20M ./Library/Caches/com.apple.coresymbolicationd

216K ./Library/Caches/com.apple.locationd

0 ./Library/Caches/locationd/adsf

240K ./Library/Caches/locationd/tiles

432K ./Library/Caches/locationd

25M ./Library/Caches

8.0K ./Library/Lockdown/activation_records

8.0K ./Library/Lockdown/escrow_records

8.0K ./Library/Lockdown/pair_records

48K ./Library/Lockdown

0 ./Library/Logs/awd

0 ./Library/Logs

40K ./Library/Preferences

25M ./Library

0 ./Media/Cydia/AutoInstall

0 ./Media/Cydia

0 ./Media

25M .

But, it's all german to me and I'm not sure what this means or how to proceed?! Any idea?? Thanks,Alicia
Ignore the df-k stuff and clear out the files in the folders you were told about.
Its not german at all...
Memphiz, perhaps it's not german to a developer, but to a girl whose new to this and trying to figure it out, it might as well be! I just realized your location is Germany. Haha! That's funny.

Ned, How do I do that?? Am I doing this through terminal on my mac or with my remote on my ATV2? Extreme NOVICE ova'ere!
how do a free space in my apple tv... im having the exact problem and doesn't know what to do...