Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Advice on configuration
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

I am new to these forums. I would like to ask for some advice on my configuration.

I have 2 computers running 2 different versions of xbmc (Gotham with Windows 8 and Frodo with Windos XP). The videos of the library are on a network drive.

I have created a library with Gotham version and synced with trakt (awesome feature!). I want now to have this library "centralised" in the network drive so it keeps track of the watched episodes from both PCs. What I would like is to keep the info in the network drive so it is always available and non-dependent on the PCs, so I can add/remove PCs in a future without losing info.

I have read that I can share the library through upnp, but this would keep the library files in the Windows 8 PC, right? I would prefer to keep the database info in the shared network.

I have also read that it is possible to make a backup creating nfo files, but I think that would help for hat I want (please tell me if I am wrong!).

And I have read that maybe using MySQL it could work as I want, but I have also read that it may cause problems with different xbmc versions.

So, from all the above and all other possible solutions, which would be the best configuration for my case?

Thank you in advance!
Mysql would probably be your best bet. Centralized database used by all machines.
Thank you for your reply.

That's what I was thinking and what I was planning to use, but the wiki says:
NOTICE: Every XBMC "client" must run the same version of XBMC.

And I have version 12.3 in XP and 13.2 in Windows 8, which have different database system, I think. Would it be a problem?

I tried using the same version (13.2) in XP, but it wasn't working.
Yes you really need to ditch XP. support is over from both ms and xbmc/kodi. Try openelec. Try it in a USB stick first if you are uncertain.
All of the basic options, including the ones mentioned already, are listed here: Syncing and sharing (wiki)
Thank you for your replies!

Yes, I should change OS, but it is not always easy to get rid of some things... Anyway, I may try the openelec you mention.

Yes, I knew the wiki pages, but I wanted to know what was the best option considering my setup. But thank you for the link!

A couple of new questions:
1. If I finally use the MySQL option with both computers using the same xbmc version, what would happen when upgrading to a newer version?
2. If I use upnp to share the library, is there any incompatibility between versions like when using MySQL?
1. MySQL will made a newer database. Both old and new versions of XBMC/Kodi will work, but they will be using different databases and thus they won't be in "sync" anymore.

2. Nope. Works across different versions of XBMC/Kodi. However, it sometimes has issues playing TV shows. Sometimes.
Thank you for your answers.

One more question, would this configuration work?
- Creating a centralised database in the network drive using MySQL and using it only from the Windows 8 PC. Then, sharing it with upnp to the Windows XP.

I mean, the tracking of episodes from XP would go to Windows 8 and from there to the MySQL so different versions would not be a problem. Theoretically, at least. Do you know if it would work (and also if it would work in other directions)?
Yep, you can even mix the two just like you describe. Any XBMC box that has access to MySQL can share the entire MySQL library over UPnP.
Thank you once more!

But would it cause any conflict?
Also, would that mix keep synced the trakt episodes in all places (including trakt website)?
Shouldn't cause a conflict. I'm not sure about Trakt.
Thank you very much for all the info. I may try this configuration first!