Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Android-x86, XBMC/Kodi, and Netflix
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I bought an Asus ChromeBox to run OpenELEC. On a whim I tried Android-x86 on it first. So far I have Android 4.4-R1 and Gotham 13.2 running. The audio is a little flaky, but that seems to be an Android issue not related to XBMC.

I loaded Netflix through the Google Play store. The app starts OK, but as soon as I try to play a video, it either quits or locks up. I thought Netflix might work better on x86 now, since the Nexus Player has an Atom processor, but it's also running Lollipop. Lollipop is available for Android-x86, but I couldn't find a prebuilt ISO of it yet. I'm trying to determine if it would be worth it to setup a virtual machine to build an ISO of Android-x86 5.0.

Does anyone know if it could be possible to get this to work? Do I need Lollipop, a different APK for Netflix, or are other parts of Netflix on Android on x86 specific to the Nexus Player? If there's no way this can work, I'll go back to my original plan and put OpenELEC on the box.
This question appears to have nothing to do with xbmc/kodi.
This is true, it's not XBMC/Kodi related, but I must admit.. I'm wondering about this, too. If x86 Android works well on various other x86 computers, then it could mean nicer video clients like Netflix for video services that don't have XBMC/Kodi add-ons.

Still, your best bet would be to ask this on a general android forum. There might be some extra android service that needs to be running for Netflix to work, or maybe it's a bug that someone else has come across as well.
The last time I tried android-x86 was quite a while ago. It was a 3rd party project, and the wikipedia page suggests it still is http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android-x86

However now with nexus player having atom processor, is there an official Google android-x86?

Netflix announced recently it is starting in NZ next year. Interested more than I used to be!
X86 has an android arch has been there for a while now.
The Galaxy tab 3 10.1 tablet from a couple of years ago was x86.