Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi logo variation and pack
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Hi,

Seems logo usage is quite rigid now : http://kodi.wiki/view/Official:Visual_Id...mark_Usage

Is there a package with all possible variation that are allowed to be used ?

Typically Yatse does display an icon representing currently connected host with it's associated version (So a icon containing XBMC and Gotham or Frodo / Eden based on an old XBMC icon).
Is there future icon (that can more or less fit a square) containing Kodi logo and Helix text ?

Or is there a way for me to create one for this sole purpose (I.E. small icon representing the connected media center) without breaking all those rules ?
The fine print is typically a bit stricter than we we might allow in practice.

This also just describes what people can do on their own without having to ask permission or anything like that. As special cases pop up, like what you're talking about, you'll probably see this page grow as things are considered and approved. Or sometimes maybe an individual group or person will get specific approval, depending on the situation.

We're still hammering out just about all of the trademark and logo policy/guideline pages as well. We'll have more examples of what can and cannot be done, better clarification, and make it easier for people to use the name and logo for situations we don't have a problem with.

As for official variations, they'll be listed here as they are made: Official:Media center logos (wiki)
Tolriq - see this usage guide as first draft with basically just some copy'n' paste stuff we have seen fit. A proper styleguide needs to be created first.

IMO as long as it looks good and not misleading it's fine Wink If you want approval on your variant upfront usage, be our guest.
Indeed. I think very few people are likely to confuse YATSE work Kodi, so you shouldn't have much opposition from us.
Sorry, is this the correct place to complain that a 14.0 beta is still recognised as XBMC Gotham and has the old icon in yatse... ?

Tongue
Is this the correct place to express an opinion on OS X icon?

please please please get rid of the square background..

not that this would be perfect but something more along these lines?

the simpler the better IMO.

maybe some shadow...

edit: yep that's my dock under a microscope.
mhhh is this request based on some sort of apple guideline on icons which i can lookup?

edit: pinged our designer about this and linked him to the apple icon styleguide.
(2014-11-27, 14:19)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]mhhh is this request based on some sort of apple guideline on icons which i can lookup?

mhhh no. just personal taste. That square icon with 45 degree shadow is really really ugly. Considering that the logo itself is very very good looking (notice the reinforcing doubles) ,and considering that many icons for osx make use of transparency and shadows, it just doesn't fit in the osx dock the way it could. But that's not a big issue, I can change it myself If everyone else with a mac thinks... ehm... different Wink

i am not aware of apple guidelines... at least not for third party icons.

oh, and it's not a request. It's an opinion.

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/...7-CH14-SW1
why are you having square icons - it's supposed to have round edges like the iOS one. Can you post a screenshot of how the current one looks like? I'm doing this stuff blindly (not an apple user) and thus rely on feedback. I'm happy to remove the background if this gives more of a perfect OSX experience
(2014-11-27, 15:00)da-anda Wrote: [ -> ]why are you having square icons - it's supposed to have round edges like the iOS one. Can you post a screenshot of how the current one looks like? I'm doing this stuff blindly (not an apple user) and thus rely on feedback. I'm happy to remove the background if this gives more of a perfect OSX experience

i just did a super quick one from the files on the wiki (transparent is not 100% transparent on those btw), maybe needs adding a round background, or a rhomb ... but honestly the giant square doesn't feel very appleish....

edit: yeah definitely not all transparent in the K. (in the quick one I did I don't like seeing the dock line in the back)

edit : looking at the screenshot... maybe it's just kinda big... something about it.. (the old one had the same feel... but I didn't mind since the logo for XBMC wansn't nearly as good as the one for kodi -and that's just MY opinion- so I felt like I was running a Windows Program on Mac Big Grin )
doesn't look that bad IMO - it at least pops out Wink
(2014-11-27, 16:17)da-anda Wrote: [ -> ]doesn't look that bad IMO - it at least pops out Wink

maybe just a little smaller? it's big square next to shaped transparent icons.

but hey, tastes are like ... Wink everyone got his own.
I'm just saying that for someone (me) that has been using a mac forever that one doesn't really fit in, and since Kodi isn't out yet, I felt like sharing my opinion.
wouldn't hurt to see some alternative.

maybe other mac users could share their view Smile

PS: if you made it bright yellow with green outline it would pop out more. But that wouldn't make me like it Big Grin

Mac user here who loves the top icon from http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1847372

Would look better on my dock as well.
Well maybe windows as well Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6