Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [AFTV] Flirc Keymap
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Does anyone know of a keymap that would work with Flirc and Fire TV? The main issue I see is the back button. As of now I must use two options being; 1: Escape works with Netflix, Android apps... and 2: Backspace works with XBMC for going back in the UI. I am hopefull there is a keymap like those that are compatible with the actual Fire TV remote.

Edit: I am not using a Harmony remote for this setup. Just using a univeral remote.
Backspace should work everywhere, as that's what the native fire TV remote uses.
(2014-12-08, 01:26)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Backspace should work everywhere, as that's what the native fire TV remote uses.

The stock Fire TV controller layout in Flirc works as it should. But when backing out of a show playing in XBMC the show continues to play and not stop. This is where help is needed in a way of a possible keymap to include Backspace which actually does stop XBMC from playing when selected.

The Flirc AFTV Controller Back button is equal to using the Escape key on a Keyboard.
The Backspace key on the keyboard is needed to properly back out of XBMC when viewing a show.
This should work with FLIRC on the Fire TV, even though it says Fire TV remote. The Fire TV remote is actually seen as a keyboard as well, which is why both work with the same map: Alternative keymaps for Fire TV remote (wiki) (I like map #4)
These keymaps work great with XBMC. But the Back button does not work with Netflix or other Android apps in this regard as they require an Escape keystroke to move back with Flirc. Any other ideas?
I'm not sure what to tell you. For me, backspace works in both XBMC and Netflix.
(2014-12-08, 05:40)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure what to tell you. For me, backspace works in both XBMC and Netflix.

I've been going knowhere fast with Flirc. What remote are you using? If it is a Harmony that might explain my failure to set this up. I have tried several remotes to no avail.
It shouldn't matter what remote is being used. If the Flirc is sending a "backspace" or an "escape" keyboard command, then it should be the same regardless of which remote is being used, or if it's the Flirc or the actual AFTV remote.
I found using the full keyboard setting in Flirc made it really easy to configure my remote and also give it much better control. I've not just got fast forward but also step forward 10 minutes and various other options.

I programmed each button individually...so I had to click on each keyboard key on Flirc and then press the remote button.

escape on the keyboard worked for sending me back to the previous menu.

I do have a harmony remote but I didn't use any of the preset setups as I said above. I programmed it just like you would.
(2014-12-11, 21:36)jusnogood Wrote: [ -> ]escape on the keyboard worked for sending me back to the previous menu.

Escape works fine for Android apps when going back to the previuos menu and when stopping a video. Using Escape to go back to a previous menu does not work properly with XBMC/Kodi. Selecting Escape here takes you directly to the home screen thus bypassing the ability to go back to the previous menu. The Escape key is a total mess when exiting a video in XBMC/Kodi as it takes you to the home screen and does not stop the video. It continues to play in the background.

Backspace is what is needed in XBMC/Kodi to properly go back to a previous menu and to properly stop a video to return to the previous menu. I was not able to reconcile the escape and backspace keys to act as the Return key like it does on the Fire TV remote through any keymaps available. I did try adding seperate Escape and Backpace keys and that did not work either. Back to Amazon the Flirc goes.
Well, you can change the behavior of escape to function as backspace in Kodi. Just remap the global back command to escape using the Keymap add-on.
Wait, I see what's wrong. The FLIRC Fire TV remote layout is incorrect and mapping "back" as "escape". Instead, just use the keyboard screen. If you map it to "backspace" then it should work everywhere.
And yes, I've tested this.
This has been my point all along in that the Fire TV remote is based on keyboard functions. If that is the case then why can I not get Flirc to work exactly as the Fire TV remote when it comes to the Return key? While knowing that;

Escape = Is Return for Android apps exclusively.
Backspace = Is Return for XBMC/Kodi exclusively.

One more Q and I'll let this go. Do you have the Return Key in Flirc working exactly the identical way the Fire TV remote works? I mean one singular Return key that covers both Escape for Android apps and Backspace for XBMC/Kodi.

EDIT: Alternative keymaps for Fire TV remote (wiki) in Post #4 did not reconcile the issue with the Return key.
Forgive me, I'm all turned around now. XBMC/Kodi is reporting the keypress as "backspace", but it is, as you've pointed out, actually sending "escape". I cannot explain why Kodi is reporting the button incorrectly, and why it is only doing so for the actual Fire TV remote and not having consistent behavior with the Flirc, but I do know that it is not isolated to the Flirc.

The only thing I can think of, and I'm probably wrong about this, is that the Fire TV remote is not actually sending either "Escape" or "backspace", but something else, which different situations will treat as different commands.

I'm really confused now o.O
Pages: 1 2 3