Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Best XBMC Remote for Chromebox
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hi I have a chromebox and i am currently using a keyboard, so I would like to upgrade to a proper remote control.
Im looking for the best in terms of price and quality. My budget is about €30 max.
I was looking at the xbox one remote http://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Xbox-On...box+remote
What receiver would I need for this I saw the flirc but its €30 on top of the €20 xbox remote so is a bit out of my range.
I am just searching on the forum about this.

The Xbox One remote is nice looking etc but apparently you will have to press the volume and page down many times and it will be annoying.

From what i have read the Fire TV or Fire TV stick remote will be a good option. It will work pair right out of the box and it is simple and cheap. I am not sure if you need to map the keys. It also uses bluetooth which for me is a big thumbs up and then you dont need to buy a flirc.
Yea the fire tv stick remote works just fine in the chromebox. But I prefer the Rii i8 Mini 2.4GHz Wireless Touchpad Keyboard with Mouse for PC, PAD, XBox 360, PS3, Google Android TV Box, HTPC..And is only $ 16 at Amazon .What I like it has the keyboard so is very handy.
I've also been searching the web for a suited remote for my Chromebox. I really like the original Boxee remote; Nice and slick remote with a full QWERTY keyboard at the back. It also uses RF instead of IR. The sad thing is that D-link doesn't sell these remotes with a USB receiver anymore..

The most high end Chromeboxes, "Chromebox for Meetings" actually got a remote that really looks like the boxee remote design. It's a bluetooth remote with a full keyboard on the back. I haven't found where they sell these remotes outside the "Chromebox for Meetings", but I really want a remote like that!
Does anyone knows if or where I can buy this?

This looks pretty similar:

Aerb Multifunction 2.4 G

I believe the Chromebox remote is actually made by D-link, who made the Boxee remote. They're likely the exact same except for one additional face button and labeling adjustments. Even the RF receiver looks the same. The "Aerb" is similar, but very different, as it is physically much larger.
I actually landed on the Xbox One media remote for now. I just got my Chromebox, and I really want a remote. The remote is of good quality, and the keys automatically lights up if you press a button or you touch the remote. I got so curious that I did a mini teardown, and inside is a tiny 8-bit micro controller, and an accelerometer. I'm planning to use Flirc with this remote.
Issue with the Aerb is that the air mouse pointer doesn't go off. It has been a while since I had the remote, but I recall this being an issue at the time.

Update: Finally found a Boxee-like remote I can recommend (took delivery from Amazon just a while ago)... iRainy air mouse keyboard gyro remote. After trying the Aerb, Minix M1, Probox 2 Remote+, the Rii mini keyboard and the Hausbell mini H7, this one is the best of all. It isn't perfect. The 'Exit' and 'Home' buttons are one and the same, so you have to short-press for back, and long-press for home/exit. The remote is also a little small for my taste, and the front is a bit of a fingerprint magnet. It also acts/sends wonky/multiple commands occasionally. But, everything, including context/menu button work out of the box.

I'm using the iRainy remote with my Fire TV as I have some apps that need mouse and/or keyboard input (the air mouse is easy to toggle on/off), but it works fine with my Chromebox as well.

Since I found flirc for $15 I tried it and it works beautifully. I don't even have to aim anywhere near it for it to work and it uses the TV remote so I only need one remote!
What would be the easiest (=cheapest) solution to be able to dual-boot Chromebox wirelessly? (CTRL+L). I already have Logitech Harmony Smart Control, which works fine once booted to OpenELEC but something like iRainy air mouse with IR would be preferable than full size keyboard. Oh, and I also have Dinovo Mini which I could use then in ChromeOS for example.
Does Flirc need line of sight? I am going to put my chromebox behind the TV.
Flirc seems to have the best IR sensitivity from any IR device I have seen.
Very well engineered on that front. It will work easily from behind a TV.

(2014-12-12, 08:22)dmdfan Wrote: [ -> ]What would be the easiest (=cheapest) solution to be able to dual-boot Chromebox wirelessly? (CTRL+L).
A hardwired keyboard is needed to dual boot on the Chromebox.
not true, many wireless ones work, like the Logitech K360 I use
Yep, as does my Microsoft 800.
Ahhh, good to know. I've probably mixed it up then with USB dual boot switching when using Flirc.

What about the Bluetooth Apple Aluminium Ones then ?
Pages: 1 2 3 4