Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How to transfer files over to the AFTV?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Guys,

What's the easiest and quickest way to transfer files such as zip files and images to my Amazon Fire TV? I've been using the "adbfire" tool which is OK, but in terms of file transfer, it's a bit hit and miss when using.

I was wondering if it's possible to transfer files using an FTP/SFTP client such as FileZilla to transfer files from my Mac directly to the Amazon Fire TV?

If so, how do I do it? I've tried to connect using FileZilla but it fails to connect. It's either the username and password that is incorrect or I need to enable something in Kodi's settings or it is not possible to do so at all. :|

What am I doing wrong?

Would really appreciate some help.

Thanks Wink
Use the Kodi file manager (wiki)
(2014-12-17, 00:19)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Use the Kodi file manager (wiki)

That's how I do it.
I use both adb fire and kodi's file manager. Adb fire is actually easier (less steps) but it tends to disconnect at times. What I do to make sure, is I click on the "pull" icon and if i see files then I know it's connected. From there it takes a few seconds to push whatever I need to the AFTV. The file manager takes too many steps but it does work.
Using file manager seems quick and simple too me.

1 Bring up file manager
2 set left side where you want your file to be
3 bring up file to copy on right side
4 click menu
5 select copy
6 select okay

Done in 6 and never had any worries of loosing connection.
Any way other then adb to do this from a pc/mac? I'd like to move some files while watching stuff on the aftv. Is there an ftp client or some way to mount the aftv file system?

thanks.
(2014-12-17, 21:02)rcrh Wrote: [ -> ]Any way other then adb to do this from a pc/mac? I'd like to move some files while watching stuff on the aftv. Is there an ftp client or some way to mount the aftv file system?

thanks.

I use a program called Android Commander to transfer files to my fire tv. Nothing like sitting on the couch watching a movie and using the tablet to transfer some new skins over. Smile

Just have to input the IP address of the fire tv and it connects and shows a file browser to transfer files between two different locations.
(2014-12-16, 22:46)Hustler1337 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Guys,

What's the easiest and quickest way to transfer files such as zip files and images to my Amazon Fire TV? I've been using the "adbfire" tool which is OK, but in terms of file transfer, it's a bit hit and miss when using.

I was wondering if it's possible to transfer files using an FTP/SFTP client such as FileZilla to transfer files from my Mac directly to the Amazon Fire TV?

If so, how do I do it? I've tried to connect using FileZilla but it fails to connect. It's either the username and password that is incorrect or I need to enable something in Kodi's settings or it is not possible to do so at all. :|

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks Wink

I typically do my work/tinkering from my desktop. To me it's much easier to drag and drop files, and also click through folders and delete crap I don't need anymore. I rarely use the Kodi file manager mainly because I just use the regular AFTV remote. Working from the desktop is so much easier, that or my old Asus tablet w/keyboard + terminal command.

For desktop use:
I installed the android app FTP Server by Rapfox on my AFTV. I believe ES File Explorer also has an FTP server option built in that you can use.
Run it and get the ftp address:port, along with the username:password..leave the app running.

Install WinSCP on your desktop/laptop.
Select FTP protocol.
Host name:port = ftp address:port from Rapfox, or whatever other app you end up using.

In order to see the .xbmc folder on your AFTV using WinSCP, in WinSCP click advanced » FTP » Use MLSD OFF » Support for listing of hidden files "ON".

This way you can delete/add/copy/backup whatever you want with just a few clicks.
(2014-12-20, 09:03)RustyTongueRing Wrote: [ -> ]

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks Wink

I typically do my work/tinkering from my desktop. To me it's much easier to drag and drop files, and also click through folders and delete crap I don't need anymore. I rarely use the Kodi file manager mainly because I just use the regular AFTV remote. Working from the desktop is so much easier, that or my old Asus tablet w/keyboard + terminal command.

For desktop use:
I installed the android app FTP Server by Rapfox on my AFTV. I believe ES File Explorer also has an FTP server option built in that you can use.
Run it and get the ftp address:port, along with the username:password..leave the app running.

Select FTP protocol.
Host name:port = ftp address:port from Rapfox, or whatever other app you end up using.

In order to see the .xbmc folder on your AFTV using WinSCP, in WinSCP click advanced » FTP » Use MLSD OFF » Support for listing of hidden files "ON".

This way you can delete/add/copy/backup whatever you want with just a few clicks.

Thank you sooo much RustyTongueRing, this was exactly what I wanted. I can't stand using the in-built file manager and the awkward adbfire tool to transfer files, like you said, it's much easier to drag and drop and browse through folders through your desktop. I've tried installing FTP Server by Rapfox but it wouldn't install so I had to turn to ES File Explorer. That worked a charm.

Once again thank you for introducing this to me, potentially saved me hours of time messing around with transferring files remotely. Wink
I know this is little off topic but it related to remote transfer so I mention the issue here.

Kodi backup restore what directory do we needed from local backup?

Once I use adbfire to restore it takes more then 30 min to restore from computer backup.

i.e. I do have backup on computer and when backup restore needed to AFTV I use adbfire. If someone advise if possible to replace just necessary folder from computer backup using WinSCP that would be great to restore backup.

I do have three folder on my computer backup.

addons
temp
userdata

any help appreciate.

Any quick method to restore from backup to AFTV?

(2014-12-20, 09:03)RustyTongueRing Wrote: [ -> ]

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks Wink

For desktop use:

Select FTP protocol.

Use the Kodi file manager and just throw it in the userdata folder. Then do the restore. Just remember to delete the backup from the userdata folder once you are done, so future backups are not including the redundant file.
The easiest way i found was to use ES File Explorer and Filezilla

Set up the remote manager in ES Filemanager and turn on, leave it running. Open up filezilla and put in the settings you get from the Remote Manager in ES Files Manager. Thats the quickest and easiest way i found
Yes that is the method I use except instead of FileZilla I use WinSCP to transfer remote file to download folder and restore them from backup.zip. It's takes about 5 to 10 min