Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Yosemite, Gotham and SMB returns "broken pipe" error
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all.

I recently upgraded the two Mac Minis I have at home to OS X Yosemite.

Ever since then, I haven't been able to connect to Mac Mini 1 from Mac Mini 2 via SMB. I get a "broken pipe" error. This wasn't an issue under Mavericks. Both machines are running Gotham 13.2.

I'm confident the login credentials are correct, and that sharing is correctly configured, because if I go Mac Mini 2->Finder->Connect to Server and enter the same SMB:// address, user name and password, I can mount the shares on Mac Mini 1 just fine.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks for the pics.

OSX Firewalls on or off ?

In the Add Network Location enter the IP address.
Do not Hit Browse.
then fill in username and password.
then OK

Go back to XBMC - Add Videos - Browse and look for smb://10.0.1.4/ and browse and add shares from there.

using AFP networking between two Macs is quicker than using SMB.
NFS is even quicker again, but sleep issues will occur.
Thanks wrxtasy for taking the time to answer and be so helpful Smile

Yes, firewalls are off. I'm certain I'm following your steps to the letter, but no luck. As soon as I hit "OK" after configuring the SMB settings, I get the "broken pipe" message. Trying the same settings with AFP crashes XBMC altogether.

Again, these settings worked fine under Mavericks. I'm not sure what changed.

That said, I may have found a temporary workaround. I went to Finder, Connected to the Server via SMB, and mounted the drives. Then I went back into XBMC->Videos-Files-Add Videos->Volumes, and the drives were mounted and I was able to scan them and play my media.

I'm not sure if they'll stay mounted, however, and if XBMC will still be able to remember the location of the shares this way.

And obviously it will be annoying to have to mount the drives like this every time ... I hope that isn't the case.
They may disconnect when you reboot the system. however if you drag the Shared Folders to the Sidebar in OSX Finder you can reconnect them quickly by just double clicking the folder icons. This is assuming you ticked "Remember this password in my keychain" in the first place.

Also try this:

XBMC > System > Settings > System > Power Saving > Try to wake remote servers on access > Enable

Have you tried Adding Video shares using Zeroconfig ?

Other suggestions are in this thread:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1860177

Other solutions:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1814794
Good idea about dragging the Shared Folders Smile

In any case, the drives stayed mounted overnight, so it looks like they'll probably stay that wait until I reboot (which is fine, I think, because I only reboot my Mac Minis once a month or so).

I will also try the Power Saving setting as you suggested.

And yes, I tried adding the shared using Zeroconfig -- via AFP it simply kept processing until I had to force quit XBMC, and via SMB nothing happened.

Thanks again for your help.
(2014-12-18, 16:01)Tomahawk Wrote: [ -> ]Good idea about dragging the Shared Folders Smile

In any case, the drives stayed mounted overnight, so it looks like they'll probably stay that wait until I reboot (which is fine, I think, because I only reboot my Mac Minis once a month or so).

I will also try the Power Saving setting as you suggested.

And yes, I tried adding the shared using Zeroconfig -- via AFP it simply kept processing until I had to force quit XBMC, and via SMB nothing happened.

Thanks again for your help.

You should also be able to have them them auto mount by adding them as a Startup Item in System Prefs>Users and Groups if you need them to mount after a reboot. You would also need auto login enabled for that account.
(2014-12-18, 16:01)Tomahawk Wrote: [ -> ]Good idea about dragging the Shared Folders Smile
The next tip is to go into Finder > Preferences > Sidebar, and tick > Connected Servers + Bonjour computers
You may have to highlight the hidden "Show" text that popups to the right of "Shared" in the Sidebar to see the connected servers and computers.

I'm not 100% on this but, my servers and connected computers seem to just reconnect automatically upon reboot, with no further configuration needed.

If thats not the case after Reboot I'm going with wgstarks's suggestion as well. Thanks wg. Smile
That's probably true with Yosemite if you use the check box that says Reopen All Windows (or similarSmile) when you reboot. Been mounting as login items so long I never think about other options.
Yes thats what I thought had been happening in Yosemite.

Its called "Reopen windows when logging back in" in the Restart and Shutdown windows.

Once any servers or networked computers are connected the first time and their Login credentials stored in Keychain. Its all Automatic from thereon when viewing files in OSX finder.
You guys rock. Thanks for the help and suggestions.
Just an update: I've basically given up on this, at least until Yosemite is updated.

I cannot connect to my second Mac Mini via SMB, AFP or Zeroconfig, as I could in Frodo (and Mac OS X 10.6.8). I've also tried using Kodi Helix, but that too fails to connect to my remote shares (I get Broken Pipe or Operation Not Permitted errors under Kodi Helix).

As I mentioned before, I'm able to mount the shares if I go Finder->Go->Connect to Server. The trouble there is that, once connected, the remote shares will disconnect at random, without warning. Sometimes they stay connected for two or three days; other times they disconnect after a matter of minutes. When they're working, though, streaming is basically flawless. (I should note that both my Mac Minis are set to never sleep, and hard disks are not allowed to sleep either.)

Thanks again wrxtasy for troubleshooting this with me. Yosemite has some well documented Wi-Fi issues that could be contributing to these headaches, so it's hard to say if it's Yosemite, XBMC/Kodi, or a combination of both that's creating the problem.
One last try for Kodi access to Network shares:

In Kodi > System > Settings > System > Power saving > Try to wake remote servers on access > Enable

Then Kodi > Video > Files > Add Videos > Browse> Zeroconf > Server name (SAMBA) > add shared folders

Smile
Curious why you are not using AFP instead SMB since both are Mac? Also what vintage is your mini?
I have found Yosemite to be problematic with networking on my 2010 mini which rears its ugly head if the mini was allowed to sleep and then even if it does not, over the course of time, the Mimi's networking goes la la and file sharing and screen sharing goes bye bye and are not accessible.
Try rebooting the machine and then immediately try your shares and see if you had success?
I even tried the 10.10.2 beta and this did not fix it. I ended up going back to Mavericks which for me works perfectly. I had done 3 clean installs with Yosemite to try and get networking to function properly. The problem is not kodi, but rather Yosemite.
Thanks wrxtasy.

I followed your instructions to the letter. Still no luck Sad

Once I select my server (SAMBA) and click, nothing happens. I don't get a chance to browse my shared folders and add them to XBMC.

Again, I don't understand networking stuff well enough to know what's going on, but I can definitely go to the Finder->Go->Connect to Servers and mount the shares that way. They just won't stay connected for a reliable amount of time. When they're working, though, playback is perfect.

@Audiomixer: I have tried to add shares via AFP. Either nothing happens, or Kodi crashes.

(2015-01-23, 12:52)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]One last try for Kodi access to Network shares:

In Kodi > System > Settings > System > Power saving > Try to wake remote servers on access > Enable

Then Kodi > Video > Files > Add Videos > Browse> Zeroconf > Server name (SAMBA) > add shared folders

Smile
What version of mini do you have?
Pages: 1 2