Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Screen resolutions / visibility settings for a LCD TV attached to an HTPC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

My current 52" Samsung LCD TV is attached to my HTPC which is about 7-8' away from the seating position. At normal resolutions i.e. 1080p set in the HTPC the fonts and everything else is minuscule, currently i have set the screen resolution at 1440 x 900 @ Monitor settings 75 Hertz, Colors set to True Color 32 bit. The HTPC has a dedicated ATI 2GB HD7850 GPU. Also, i have set the text and other options to be at 150% in the display screen resolutions option.
Its only then one can look at the screen without straining the eyes.
I have also set the chrome browser to be 125% larger in font size under advance settings.

I think all this is an over kill, as everything in the browser makes off and unaligned. My XBMC is also showing its running at 1440 x 900 resolution.

Please advice, what are the best options that you guys use when using a large LCD at a distance with their HTPC.
I also have the catalyst control center for my ati gpu, is there configuration changes that needs to be done there as well?
I sit a bit farther back than you with my 47" LCD. I have my Win7 desktop settings at 1920x1080 @ 60Hz, and the DPI custom set to 147%. Web browser is set a bit larger, but I can't remember. Desktop background set to a plain colour (no graphic).

I've also ran the ClearType text adjustment from Control Panel. Assuming you run windows, you might want to try adjusting that.

However, none of this affects Kodi, that I am aware.

For my eyes, this works great without my glasses. With my glasses, obviously I have no issues at all.
thanks for the suggestion.

i was able to bump up the resolution to 1940x1080p and increased the dpi fonts to 200%, this is looking much better infact perfect, but now the screen looks yellowish? why?
if i switch the resolution to something lower, it looks perfect... but increasing the resolution makes the screen yellowish. please guide.
Hopefully you meant 1920x1080 @ 60Hz, not 1940. Not sure why it would yellow at higher DPI.

There is also a colour calibrator in Windows that might help. Again, it assumes you are running windows.
ok so here is whats happening. currently the refresh rate is at 60Hz resolution 1940x1080p. When i try to bump up the resolution to 75hz (thats the max the tv can take as per ATI catalyst control center, the resolution switches back to 1440x900 resolution.
at 75hz refresh rate the colors are perfect, but at 60hz the colors become yellowish.

(2014-12-19, 18:38)Jogee Wrote: [ -> ]Hopefully you meant 1920x1080 @ 60Hz, not 1940. Not sure why it would yellow at higher DPI.

There is also a colour calibrator in Windows that might help. Again, it assumes you are running windows.

I am sorry thats right, its 1920.
Catalyst control center says the lcd is capable of going upto 75hz, if i bump it up to 75hz, the resolution dips to 1440x900 resolution. at 75hz 1440x900 the colors are perfect.
Please, correct me here. You've typed 1940x1080 a second time. Is this a mistake? Proper 1080p resolution is 1920x1080.

Your TV, or possibly your video card, can't do 1080p @ 75Hz. Which is why it maxes out at a lower resolution when you change the refresh rate.

Outside of the other suggestions I've already provided, I can't help you any further. We would need to know more about your setup.

But, this might be getting a bit of topic for the forum.

The only time I've had yellowing, is when I put a colour profile for my monitor. It screwed with the white balance. Had to remove it.
yes i am sorry, its actually 1920x1080.

just an observation, is this because in the display it shows denon-av?
my system consists of i7 2600k cpu, 16gb ram, ati hd7850 2gb dedicated gpu, the htpc is connected to a denon avr 4311ci, i was wondering if it has to do anything with the denon avr? isnt the display be showing as ati gpu?

I don't think it has anything to do with the amp. My amp doesn't even show there, it just shows the TV.
maybe your amp can't pass though the signal at 1080p @ 75 hz, try direct hdmi to the tv and see if that works.

at least it'll eliminate 1 possibility.