Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi "server" like plex media server?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hey guys.
First some background story: Ive tried to install get plex working on a cloud based service in order to be able to stream while out of the house. It seemed very complex and i ran into a number of problems (the client apps not finding the content the server has scraped and all that) and now i feel like im pretty close to giving up.

The question: is it possible to have something like plex media server but with Kodi (including transcoding)? Where all the metadata etc are in the cloud and you can have clients logging (multiple at the same time) into the "media server" and stream it from there? ive always liked the idea of plex but never got it to work 100% (prob on my skills the problem are) and i always seemed to work better with xbmc/kodi (more information. more custom content. alot of different solutions to a single problem) so if thats possible i would get going with it.

Best regards. Kevin
Both Plex and Media Browser have Kodi add-ons.
How is media browser? As i said im not a big fan of the plex media server so if possible i would like to avoid it Tongue

In regards to the add-ons what do they do exactly? Is it a addon i can install on the mediabrowser server and it will automatically talk to all the kodi clients i have so the metadata and such is stored at the mediabrowser server?
I've only player with it a little bit, but Media Browser is pretty nice as a server for Kodi. Even does transcoding.

The add-ons are for Kodi and make it so you can easily browse the server with full metadata and transcoding and all of that. This page has a couple of videos that give you a good idea of what to expect: http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.p...g-started/
Mediabrowser is awesome I use it all the time on my phone when I'm travelling with work - beats paying for a plex pass (or whatever it's called) in my book.
Having Kodi do all the necessary server stuff is certainly on our wishlist for 2015, but many things are on our wishlist, so who can really say what'll actually make it.
Another vote for MB3. It's really awesome. Great for library management too.
Kodi and Mediabrowser is a marriage in heaven. The guys at Mediabrowser have done quite an amazing effort to secure full compatibility with Kodi by now. Both have their merit and work perfectly together. Mediabrowser has the best server and also clients for IOS (without jailbreak), Roku and others. Kodi is still by far the best client for RPi, Linux, OSX and others.

There are several ways that Mediabrowser and Kodi can play together:

1) Just pointing Kodi to the Mediabrowser library folder and scan all movies into Kodi. Given Mediabrowser has fully Kodi compatible metadata (nfo, poster.jpg,etc.), this works without glitches.

2) Aforementioned XBMC3C addon that allows Kodi to access directly the Mediabrowser library. Rather straightforward as well.

3) Having Kodi act as UPNP client with Mediabrowser as UPNP server. Some things to be ironed out, but extremely fast. This will increase in importance once Kodi moves even further ahead with further UPNP library integration

Having used Mediabrowser for over a year now (which is completely open source, I don't understand why anyone should combine Kodi with a commercial software such as Plex. Even less so given the Plex/XBMC history... My sense is that Kodi and Mediabrowser will get even closer while Kodi is integrating UPNP into its library and while Mediabrowser continues its development.

Both Kodi and Mediabrowser have a very active and responsive developer base. The Mediabrowser guys are eager to listen to requests how to bring Kodi and Mediabrowser closer and also to overall feature requests. So, please feel free to post here or in Mediabrowser forums for any questions. I cannot develop, but happy to answer anything you may be interested in from a user perspective.
(2015-01-01, 11:01)steve1977 Wrote: [ -> ]Kodi and Mediabrowser is a marriage in heaven. The guys at Mediabrowser have done quite an amazing effort to secure full compatibility with Kodi by now. Both have their merit and work perfectly together. Mediabrowser has the best server and also clients for IOS (without jailbreak), Roku and others. Kodi is still by far the best client for RPi, Linux, OSX and others.

There are several ways that Mediabrowser and Kodi can play together:

1) Just pointing Kodi to the Mediabrowser library folder and scan all movies into Kodi. Given Mediabrowser has fully Kodi compatible metadata (nfo, poster.jpg,etc.), this works without glitches.

2) Aforementioned XBMC3C addon that allows Kodi to access directly the Mediabrowser library. Rather straightforward as well.

3) Having Kodi act as UPNP client with Mediabrowser as UPNP server. Some things to be ironed out, but extremely fast. This will increase in importance once Kodi moves even further ahead with further UPNP library integration

Having used Mediabrowser for over a year now, I don't understand why anyone should still use (and pay) Plex. Even less so given the Plex/XBMC history... My sense is that Kodi and Mediabrowser will get even closer while Kodi is integrating UPNP into its library and while Mediabrowser continues its development.

Both Kodi and Mediabrowser have a very active and responsive developer base. The Mediabrowser guys are eager to listen to requests how to bring Kodi and Mediabrowser closer and also to overall feature requests. So, please feel free to post here or in Mediabrowser forums for any questions. I cannot develop, but happy to answer anything you may be interested in from a user perspective.

I can confirm that Kodi and MediaBrowser is indeed a perfect combination.
Also please not forget that we have several skins available that are compatible with the MediaBrowser (xbmb3c) addon which makes the integration even more seamless.
Feel free to ask for support in the MediaBrowser or Kodi forums about the integration.
Plex Media Server is absolutely free and does not require Plex Pass to work. Plex Pass provides some extra features (like syncing content to devices). Plex Media Server, Plex Home Theater, and the service for sharing your libraries with your friends are all free. I am one of the founders of Plex, and don't mind seeing comparisons and criticims where people say MB3 or Kodi are better than Plex (not in my opinion, of course), but let's make sure the information is accurate. There are millions of Plex users, less than 5 percent in my estimation actually pay for a Plex Pass, and it's those who want those advanced features (that aren't available at all in MB3 or XBMC at any price), or they just want to help support development.
I have removed the comment about "paying" for Plex. Have also clarified that Mediabrowser is completely opensource. Not saying that opensource is better for everyone, but it has merits.
(2015-01-01, 11:01)steve1977 Wrote: [ -> ]Having used Mediabrowser for over a year now (which is completely open source, I don't understand why anyone should combine Kodi with a commercial software such as Plex.

Well, for starters it's not available for my Synology NAS which is arguably one of the biggest, if not biggest, NAS platforms.
(2015-01-05, 01:15)cullman Wrote: [ -> ]Plex Media Server is absolutely free and does not require Plex Pass to work. Plex Pass provides some extra features (like syncing content to devices). Plex Media Server, Plex Home Theater, and the service for sharing your libraries with your friends are all free. I am one of the founders of Plex, and don't mind seeing comparisons and criticims where people say MB3 or Kodi are better than Plex (not in my opinion, of course), but let's make sure the information is accurate. There are millions of Plex users, less than 5 percent in my estimation actually pay for a Plex Pass, and it's those who want those advanced features (that aren't available at all in MB3 or XBMC at any price), or they just want to help support development.
Plex is a good platform but ive been having way too many problems with syncing (to mobile platforms or other clients) and the solutions isnt very simple to my experince (nor do i feel like i get proper information on what im doing wrong in order to fix it).
Oh no, I created yet another Plex thread.... This was not my intention.

I wanted to make a strong point that Kodi and Mediabrowser and Kodi play together very nicely and the developers will continue to make the two play even better together in the future. Let me recap the three ways that already work nicely today:

Your 2 and 3 point really makes me interested steve1977 (even your 1st if i understand it correctly ^^)
Pages: 1 2 3 4