Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: August t210 dvb-t2 tuner problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello ( sorry if this is multiple post)

I am in the uk and have recently bought this stick - August t210 dub-t2 usb tuner
Looking in the openelec compatibility wiki, I assumed that it would work OOB for the latest openelec builds.
Sadly, it is not even recognized!
I have tried the latest dev builds and the stick is recognised, but VDR cannot find any HD channels.
TVheadend, on the other hand, finds the HD channels fine?
Unfortunately, the channels changing is so slow in these builds, it makes it difficult to use

Maybe someone can help?

I can try to provide dmesg for the official and dev builds if that would help?

ManyThanks
I pinged a OE dev who may have an idea.
Could this be related to the requirement some tuners have to be sent correct DVB-T vs DVB-T2 tuning requests - unlike the PCTV290e which will tune either type of mux automatically without being told which type.

ISTR that OE was modified to send the DVB-T vs DVB-T2 tuner requests a little while ago?
(2015-02-01, 19:51)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]Could this be related to the requirement some tuners have to be sent correct DVB-T vs DVB-T2 tuning requests - unlike the PCTV290e which will tune either type of mux automatically without being told which type.

ISTR that OE was modified to send the DVB-T vs DVB-T2 tuner requests a little while ago?

hi noggin,

thanks for the reply.

Not quite sure what you mean ( Smile ) and whether this means a solution may be available.

hadn't seen your reply when I posted again about this.

As in my latest thread, I am nottechy, so would need an 'idiots guide' walkthrough.

Cheers

pootler
My point was that the new DVB-T2 settings may need TV software to be re-written to take advantage of the new parameters that drivers need to be sent. The older tuners like the PCTV 290e will try both DVB-T and T2 settings automatically (as they pre-date proper Linux TV DVB-T2 support), but newer drivers follow the newer model?

I don't know if VDR lets you select between DVB-T and DVB-T2 modulation modes - the version in OpenElec 5.0.2 doesn't seem to offer the two options in manual tuning mode (but it may do something in the background?)

More info about the changes here : http://blog.palosaari.fi/search?updated-...date=false Antti is a key contributor to DVB driver development AIUI - and when the PCTV 292e replaced the 290e (they look identical and often if you think you are buying a 290e you now get a 292e) he used the new model for the drivers I believe.
(2015-02-15, 01:40)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]My point was that the new DVB-T2 settings may need TV software to be re-written to take advantage of the new parameters that drivers need to be sent. The older tuners like the PCTV 290e will try both DVB-T and T2 settings automatically (as they pre-date proper Linux TV DVB-T2 support), but newer drivers follow the newer model?

I don't know if VDR lets you select between DVB-T and DVB-T2 modulation modes - the version in OpenElec 5.0.2 doesn't seem to offer the two options in manual tuning mode (but it may do something in the background?)

More info about the changes here : http://blog.palosaari.fi/search?updated-...date=false Antti is a key contributor to DVB driver development AIUI - and when the PCTV 292e replaced the 290e (they look identical and often if you think you are buying a 290e you now get a 292e) he used the new model for the drivers I believe.

t

Thanks noggin

Had some interesting chats on vdr portal, and with Wirbel ( writer of w_scan)

Turns out wirbel tests his w_scan on an august t210/aka geniatech and receives dvbt2 happily.
This though is on PC- maybe RPI is different?

ANYWAY Smile, I happened to take his advice and try and convert Tvheadends DVBT2 tuning data ( because TVH finds dvb t2) into a format suitable for VDR- i.e the channels,conf format.

Well after much fiddling ( I am not techy), I managed it!
At the moment I have only converted the data for one channel ( it takes me time), but I have nevertheless, a dvbt2 channel on the Pi with the geniatech.
Now to do the other 6 or 7 channels!

The only thing I haven't quite sorted is the EPG retrieval for the dvbt2 channel - it just shows garbage for program info?
I will try and fix that hopefully, but I can get program info from the equivalent DVBT channel.

So - VDR can do what is required, it seems to me to be a hiccup with the use of w_scan and the Pi.

Cheers

pootler
I have the same issue with creating DVB-T2 tuning data for VDR.

I have a working tvheadend setup but unlike VDR the timeshift doesn't work properly. could you share what you did to extract the data from tvheadend?

Did you get anywhere with the EPG problem?
I eventually found the relevant tvheadend config and wrote a python script to convert the mux/service config to the VDR channels.conf format.

Now I can see the HD channels in Kodi but when I try to tune to one I get the message "Channel:no data" from the VDR VNSI Client. I also have no EPG data.

I probably have something wrong in the channels.conf, here is what I generated from tvheadend for BBC ONE HD

Code:
BBC ONE HD;-:682000000:I0C23D0M256B8T3G128Y0:T:0:6601:6602,6606:6605:0:17540:0:0:0

BTW, I'm using a PCTV 292e not an August t210.

EDIT: I posted my script here
A new version of my script produces
Code:
BBC ONE HD;-:682000000:I0C23D0G128M256B8T3Y0:T:0:6601:6602,6606:6605:0:17540:9018:16515:0

This allows tuning to the channel. I now have the same issue reported by pootler with garbage EPB data.