Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Best solution for create a new skin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello!

I want to know what is the easiest way for create a kodi skin. So, i download the exist skin and overwrite some code, but how do I test? Why is not this a special program, than the Xbmc Skin Editor, just only what works?

Sory for my bad language Smile

Best regard,

Silver87HUN
Now this was very useful information! A link with some direction on what you are looking for. No more closing Kodi then reloading over and over. Thanks!
Thank you Ronie. So can I change any skin code when the kodi is open and using that, cool. Looks like a html in dreamviewer.
It's cool that whichever skin I change and publish this forum or it' a bad thing? Where I found the example skin, than I modified?
alanwww1 recommended for you, because your helpfull Smile
(2015-01-18, 04:12)silver87hun Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you Ronie. So can I change any skin code when the kodi is open and using that, cool. Looks like a html in dreamviewer.
It's cool that whichever skin I change and publish this forum or it' a bad thing? Where I found the example skin, than I modified?
alanwww1 recommended for you, because your helpfull Smile

OK. I found the answer.

One question Smile
I want modified any part. How can I found a lot of xml between lot of lines? Thx
you'll have to search for it :-)

but you should of course start with looking for it in the most relevant xml file.
let's say you want to change something on the home screen, then start by looking in Home.xml

if you want to change something in 'fanart view', then most likely the skin will have a View_Fanart.xml file.
in case the code you're searching for is not in this file, than most likely the code is included using an <include>.
so the next place to start searching would be the Includes.xml file (or Includes_Foo.xml files, if there are multiple).
Just don't reload the skin with the context menu open otherwise you'll have to restart Kodi. Wink
(2015-01-19, 01:17)ronie Wrote: [ -> ]you'll have to search for it :-)

but you should of course start with looking for it in the most relevant xml file.
let's say you want to change something on the home screen, then start by looking in Home.xml

if you want to change something in 'fanart view', then most likely the skin will have a View_Fanart.xml file.
in case the code you're searching for is not in this file, than most likely the code is included using an <include>.
so the next place to start searching would be the Includes.xml file (or Includes_Foo.xml files, if there are multiple).

Ok Smile I used a Bello skin. I change any part, but the tuphome menu (top-left) I cant find for schane the text for icons. I checked the all xml in notepad and serch for a keyword (home,search,favourite, tophomenu), but nothing.Sad

If I finished, the modified skin cna I publish, or no, couse is the exist skin? Smile

I made my girlfriend kodi skin -> One day work

(2015-01-19, 01:32)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]Just don't reload the skin with the context menu open otherwise you'll have to restart Kodi. Wink

Not change the context menu yet. But thanks for advice, if I understand well what u say. Smile Sorry, but my english is not really good Smile
(2015-01-19, 12:30)silver87hun Wrote: [ -> ]Ok Smile I used a Bello skin. I change any part, but the tuphome menu (top-left) I cant find for schane the text for icons. I checked the all xml in notepad and serch for a keyword (home,search,favourite, tophomenu), but nothing.Sad

ask for help in the Bello subforum, that's the most likely place to find someone who knows the Bello skin code.

(2015-01-19, 12:30)silver87hun Wrote: [ -> ]If I finished, the modified skin cna I publish, or no, couse is the exist skin? Smile

sure, you can post it as a [MOD] in the Bello subforum.
(2015-01-19, 13:33)ronie Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-01-19, 12:30)silver87hun Wrote: [ -> ]Ok Smile I used a Bello skin. I change any part, but the tuphome menu (top-left) I cant find for schane the text for icons. I checked the all xml in notepad and serch for a keyword (home,search,favourite, tophomenu), but nothing.Sad

ask for help in the Bello subforum, that's the most likely place to find someone who knows the Bello skin code.

(2015-01-19, 12:30)silver87hun Wrote: [ -> ]If I finished, the modified skin cna I publish, or no, couse is the exist skin? Smile

sure, you can post it as a [MOD] in the Bello subforum.
Many thanks Ronie, You help a lot. Smile
I wrote the Bello subforum, but nothing yet. I think Nessus is a key for the answer.
Can you checked my link for my skin mod? how do you like? Smile (I made for my girlfriend, mine is black)