Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: No DTS sound with Mac Mini (late 2010) and XBMC 13.2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi to everybody
I would like to know if somebody could help me
I ve got a mac mini from late 2010 with 8 gb of Ram, I'm using snow leopard because if I use yosemite I'm experiencing some tearing image issue (sometimes a very narrow bar in the bottom of the screen which looks like tearing). My setup is Mac mini connected via HDMI to a Panasonic led screen and regarding audio I ve got an optical cable connected from the mac mini's audio output to the panasonic home cinema, In the audio midi I have digital output, format 44100 and 2 can.-32 bit, funny thing is if I change to encoded digital output my output device switches to HDMI, I don t know if this happens to anybody.
In display i change to 24 refresh rate
In xbmc i do passthrough but I can only passthrough ac3, If I m playing a movie with dts I hear no sound
My xbmc audio config.:
Audio output device: built-in output
output configuration: optimized
limit sampling rate: 48.0
stereo upmix:off
normalize levels on downmix:on
resample quality: medium
keep audio device alive: off
enable passthrough: on
passthrought output device: built-in output
Dolby digital ac3 capable receiver: on
enable dolby digital transcoding: on
dts capable receiver: on

here you have my log
http://pastebin.com/DhQR9V38

I m open to any suggestion, change to yosemite or the new Kodi as long as it works It happens to be snow leopard my most reliable system, but it s not perfect
Just I know that there's something I m doing wrong and I don t know what is it
Feel free to ask me more information in order to help me out
I hope you guys could help me
Thank you very very much and sorry for my lame english
you didn't try to play a dts file in that log file.
Sorry Memphiz I thought I did it

here you have it again and I hope it shows something

http://pastebin.com/CiPEE5rU

Thanks again
As of the log it openes the same stream on the same audio output for both ac3 and dts. There is nothing indicating that the HDMI device is even touched (it opens the Built-in Output as configured).

Nothing to see here for me. You could give Kodi 14.0 a try - it has refactored enumeration code - but i somehow doubt that it will change anything for you. What if you disable "dts" capable receiver - it should then transcode dts to ac3 for you - does this work?
Sorry if I misunderstood it but I thought that dts stream could be played with dts passthrought, if I disable dts passthrough I have no problem to listen dts as you say transcoded to ac3. If you transcode dts to ac3 , sound quality does not decline?
About my audio output configured as Built-in Output, is it right?

thanks again
Yes Built-in Output is right (its the optical output - a bit missnamed by osx as it seems). Well yes you should be able to passthrough dts to optical - as said the debug log suggests that this happend. Basically it does the same like with ac3 (which is completely correct because ac3 and dts passthrough are identical).

Could you try kodi 14.0 and see if this behaves the same for you? (with dts passthrough enabled) - bacup your userdata (wiki) before trying (kodi will migrate it ...)
Thank you Memphiz!

I tried once with kodi 14.0 with Yosemite OS but the problem was a desynchronization between audio and video, do not know why, but I could give a new try with snow leopard. But anyway if i get same quality transcoding dts to ac3 I don t mind

The other problem i ve got is when I try yosemite I got every time a tearing image issue, whatever I do always I ve got a tearing low bar on the screen which bothers me. I m begining to wonder that maybe my mac mini is too old to handle yosemite and its because of that the image is not completely clear and steady as with snow leopard

Thanks again
The tearing seems to be a driver issues for those macs with nvidia gpu see:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1892509

Beside that i am unsure but think transcoding from dts to ac3 might change quality ...
That's great!

I will try to mod the driver for my video card

should I modify one of these?
http://www.nvidia.es/object/mac-driver-archive-es.html

thanks
It s seems to me that somebody has modified cuda drivers to update nvidia drivers

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/archives/jan1...DA_Updates

Maybe I will try
I did not use the cuda drivers. Just the graphics drivers listed in the post memphiz linked to above. I too have a 2010 Mac mini. The tearing for me is gone.
Another interesting note. I have noticed when I had tearing that if I established a VNC connection (screen sharing), the tearing would stop.
(2015-01-20, 18:43)Audiomixer Wrote: [ -> ]I did not use the cuda drivers. Just the graphics drivers listed in the post memphiz linked to above. I too have a 2010 Mac mini. The tearing for me is gone.
Another interesting note. I have noticed when I had tearing that if I established a VNC connection (screen sharing), the tearing would stop.

Excuse me Audiomixer but now I'm pretty confused, the linked Memphiz shared there are pretty good number of graphic drivers links, the one I need to install on Yosemite is this?:
http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/Quadro....03f01.pkg

or the one which is located in this link:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php...stcount=63
and then do the modding in order to install on Yosemite

Thanks Audiomixer
For yosemite you use the latter link you posted. That is the correct one for yosemite. Personally I would not run yosemite on that 2010 mac mini. I've tried multiple times and have had nothing but sleep/wake problems where the networking begins to fail and I cannot connect with VNC nor using such programs as rowmote. Even if you dont sleep the machine, networking begins to degrade over the course of days where such programs as rowmote cannot connect correctly. At first I blamed it on rowmote and after much logging for rowmote and logging for apple, the problem rests squarely with yosemite and that vintage of mac mini. I have had this on 2 of my 2010 minis. I have also noted that Yosemite is slower than mavericks.
This is an apple bug that, due to the older hardware, is not likely to get fixed according to this particular apple tech I dealt with.
For me, Mavericks works perfectly with that older mini and as was recommended by this particular apple tech I had and it seems to be faster than yosemite as well.

I run yosemite on all my macs including my retina MBpro where it works just fine. However, on my mac minis, yosemite does not play nice so I run Mavericks 10.9.5.
(2015-01-20, 21:28)Audiomixer Wrote: [ -> ]For yosemite you use the latter link you posted. That is the correct one for yosemite. Personally I would not run yosemite on that 2010 mac mini. I've tried multiple times and have had nothing but sleep/wake problems where the networking begins to fail and I cannot connect with VNC nor using such programs as rowmote. Even if you dont sleep the machine, networking begins to degrade over the course of days where such programs as rowmote cannot connect correctly. At first I blamed it on rowmote and after much logging for rowmote and logging for apple, the problem rests squarely with yosemite and that vintage of mac mini. I have had this on 2 of my 2010 minis. I have also noted that Yosemite is slower than mavericks.
This is an apple bug that, due to the older hardware, is not likely to get fixed according to this particular apple tech I dealt with.
For me, Mavericks works perfectly with that older mini and as was recommended by this particular apple tech I had and it seems to be faster than yosemite as well.

I run yosemite on all my macs including my retina MBpro where it works just fine. However, on my mac minis, yosemite does not play nice so I run Mavericks 10.9.5.

Hi Audiomixer,

I did what you told me, I installed Mavericks with the modified nvidia driver and I guess it's a placebo effect but now the image is even clearer and sharper than before, no tearing so far. I got some bumps, apple remote stopped working (then fixed) and one mkv stop playing all of the sudden for no reason I hope it will not happen again I m guessing maybe it's something related to energy saver, I don't know.

About passthroughing dts it's no possible, but as Memphiz said as long as dts is transcoded to ac3 and quality keeps almost the same I don't mind really

Thank you very much guys
Good. I was only having a tearing issue with one program and that was Star Trek Deep Space Nine and so far it is working. Not sure if it is clearer but I too thought I had noticed it especially with the SD content of DS9. Is your receiver not DTS capable? I'm running mine strictly through HDMI with no issue.
Pages: 1 2 3