Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: cache and VQ/AQ [solved]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Bug fixed
http://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/16046

-------------------------------------------

I currently have the following settings on my Zotac ID84 (atom, geforce, 4gb)

Code:
<network>
<buffermode>1</buffermode>
<cachemembuffersize>668435456</cachemembuffersize>
<readbuffer>3</readbuffer>
</network>

I used this to stop buffering problems when playing videos, while a copy operation was in progress in the background. This seemed to work well with Gotham.

After updating to Helix, the buffering issues have returned.
If I show the stats during playback, I can see the cache after a while has maybe around 100mb stored (and increasing), but once a copy operation starts, the cache starts to drop (natch), but the AQ and VQ drop as well. Soon they are both 0, Kodi stutters and says it's buffering, but the cache level is still around 150mb. CPU usage is nominal and I still have around 1.8gb RAM free.

Have I misinterpreted what the cache settings do?

Logs
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=406599

The first time Men of a Certain Age stuttered while a copy was in progress, but debug logging was disabled.
I tried again, but this time it worked fine Confused
So I started Blade Runner, and it caused the queues to empty, even though the cache had a 100mb or so.
I too have issues like this, I use cache to disk and I can see over 2gb stored (SSD) yet kodi starts to stutter and stuff, weirdly enough it works faster with cable. BUT, you may think that if STATUS says you have 1gb of buffer or more, atleast it should use that before failing.
I have a similar issue with AQ and VQ dropping to 0 while still having plenty left in the cache. Does anyone have an explanation of why this happens....Seems to only affect the windows version, as my openelec box does not show the same behaviour.

It's like Kodi on Windows doesnt bother using the cache at all and just lets the AQ and VQ go down to 0 , at which point the video pauses and starts buffering.
Tried the new 15 beta, and still having the same troubles. This time with network files over SMB. The cache shows 300mb stored, but VQ and AQ drop to 0% regardless.
The log link doesn't work anymore, but I'm willing to bet that you don't have the <advancedsettings> tags, and the advancedsettings.xml file isn't being loaded at all.
Unfortunately, advancedsettings is being loaded - I'll try and create a new debug log file, but as you can see from the current one, the settings are being loaded.

Code:
22:55:43 T:4664  NOTICE: Loaded settings file from special://profile/advancedsettings.xml
22:55:43 T:4664  NOTICE: Contents of special://profile/advancedsettings.xml are...
                                            <advancedsettings>
                                              <network>
                                                <buffermode>1</buffermode>
                                                <cachemembuffersize>668435456</cachemembuffersize>
                                                <readbuffer>50</readbuffer>
                                              </network>
                                              <videolibrary>
                                                <recentlyaddeditems>50</recentlyaddeditems>
                                                <!-- number of recently added items. Defaults to 25 -->
                                              </videolibrary>
                                            </advancedsettings>

My ad
Fresh logs, running Kodi 15 beta

http://www.xbmclogs.com/pm9wvzloi
The only thing I see wrong is that <readbuffer> should be <readbufferfactor>, but I'm not a programmer, so I could be missing something else in the log. I don't think the <readbufferfactor> tag should be preventing the cache totally, but it would be worth seeing if that makes the difference.
Thanks for the help, unfortunately it didn't seem to help - though at least the cache is filling up fast, just a pity VQ/AQ isn't using it!! Cache was sitting at 300+MB....

http://xbmclogs.com/poz3ktxmd
Is it still having issues or is just not displaying correctly in the codecinfo screen? I wouldn't trust anything on the codecinfo screen. It's known for not being accurate.
According to the codecinfo screen the cache is filling up nicely, and it seems to hit a limit of around 320MB, which is a little strange as the advancedsettings are set for 668MB.

I can also see the "buffer bar" filling up where the duration of a video shows along the bottom and I can also see a constant stream over wifi while the cache fills, then a few bursts now and then once it hits the limit. However once the source gets congested, be it lots of harddisk activity, or a drop in wireless strength, VQ and AQ begin to drop rapidly to 0%, while the cache is showing its 300MB level. Once it hits 0% in VQ/AQ, playback stops, it shows "buffering" along the top, but the cache still shows over 300MB