Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Two machines, one SWMC and buffering.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have my main machine set up and it's been working quite well for some time now.
WMC works fine, HDHomerun for 3 tuners, KODI, the world is wonderful.
I've recently added a second machine onto the network and that one plays a lot of Live TV.

When I try to play Live TV on both, I get buffering issues on both.
If I watch recordings on one and Live TV on the other, or Vice Versa, it's all fine.

Both machines are Intel 2+Ghz procs, 4gigs memory, Intel Video on HDMI (build into the MBs)
One machine is set as server, with SWMC installed and Kodi.

I've checked the CPU usage on the server when the buffering occurs, and the CPU is under 10%. Memory is under 40%.
The drive in use for WMC files is a 3TB WD drive, and I should probably see if it needs a defrag. Doing that next.

Has there been other reports of buffering with this type setup?

Would I be better off having WMC and SWMC run on it's own machine or what?

Any input appreciated.
can you post a ServerWMC log while you have both clients viewing liveTV and are suffering buffering?

What network connection is between ServerWMC and the HDHR tuner, and between the client and ServerWMC? And if I read correctly you have 1 local client and 1 remote client, but both suffer buffering if you are watching LiveTV on both. Are you able to run 2 remote clients (and not the local client) and see if you get the same issue?
swmc log can be found here.
Edited for space on pastebin.. only took out the hundreds of "Received client request: ...." entries.

http://pastebin.com/70LqRyWP
Check the network utilization on the ServerWMC machine. Best way I've found is open task manager and select the Networking tab. This will show you the current speed of the network interface. Make sure it is connected at 100Mbps or greater. I had an issue where the NIC kept dropping to 10Mbps which was enough to record but not do anything else concurrently. A driver update resolved the issue for me. I didn't see anything in the log showing a serverWMC issue.
There is a bunch of of stuff going on in this log so its hard to tell where to look as to the time where there was a buffering problem. Assuming somewhere on this log there was a buffering problem, there is no indication of it. Swmc will log if it has problems writing out data, or if clients send messages to it that they are getting the data very slow, but there are no messages like that here. If you want to try again, restart swmc so you get a clean log, then start one live stream, followed by another live stream then, assuming you get a buffering problem, post this simplified log. But based on what I see here, I have a feeling the log won't show a problem.

Also you didn't answer scarecrow's questions
@Scarecrow
Server, HDHR and Client are hard wired to a 1G router. I can modify this slightly so that the HDHR is plugged directly into the server.
I have the server, which is a local client, running SWMC, and one remote client tied into this server.
I get buffering when running live TV on both at the same time.
Unfortunately, I can only set up these two systems. I don't have a third to run two clients from.

@krustyreturns
Resetting server for fresh logs momentarily. Client is in use and the girls don't want to give it up just yet. *eyeroll*

Ok.. and here's the new log.
http://pastebin.com/rPv6yZ0V
Thanks for doing that. As expected the log shows that everything is working fine. The buffering problem you see is the video stopping and you see 'buffering' in the corner of kodi's display right? Two live streams is more of a burden on your cpu, local disk and even your network, than one live stream and one recording stream, but it sounds like you have checked all of these - and no problem is indicated in the log.

For an experiment, you can run in dlna mode since you are using hdhr primes. Not sure what it would mean if the problem goes away (or even if the problem stays), but it will be interesting to see what happens anyway. The setup of the mode is described here:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=210673

A user recently on the mbs forum said they were having similar performance problems, and they traced it to virus protection. Sounds unlikely, but just throwing it out there.
DLNA mode was already enabled, it seems. Checked for the mods in that forum and they were already made.
I updated the firmware of the HDHR too.
Still no joy. It's streaming two live channels and it has to buffer them both.

This on an 8 core Intel 3.2G proc. Makes no sense.
HD has 0% fragmentation.

When buffering on both machines, server is showing ~10% utilization, 65%-70% memory utilization.

I will see if I can set up KODI on a borrowed laptop and test 2 live TV remote clients instead of one local and one remote to see if that makes a diff.
If you are indeed using Dlna your clients access the hdhr directly, and not via ServerWMC
@chaosmstr, if the last log you posted is still current, you are definitely not using dlna.
Well, SWMC is set up to use it, perhaps I don't have the rest of the system set up properly.
SWMC is still showing tuners as "Streaming", so I am guessing I don't have something set up right.

Suggestions for a "how to" on Win7?
To use this mode, you need to edit the config.xml file (debug tab>'edit settings file'):
<UseDLNAChannels_Kodi>true</UseDLNAChannels_Kodi>
Wow.
I. Am. An. Idiot.

I searched for the "UseDLNA" and when it hit the first one, I looked and it said true.

The first one is NOT for Kodi. *smacks self sounds about head and shoulders*

Thanks Krusty. It must certainly be a monday for me to be this dumb. Smile

Changed it over, testing now.. seems good so far.
lol. No problem. Can you run two live streams smoothly now?
Still doing funny things, but two streams run smoothly now.
The stream paused for a moment, then skipped forward to live again when another tuner kicked in for a recording.

I had one live stream going to remote client, one show was recording, had turned off the local client live stream (so that all three tuners weren't in use when the 9 PM show started to record) and the remote client stuttered.. at 9 pm.

But, that's livable. I'll take it. Smile

Now, what's up with FW/RW? It's a KODI thing, you say?
Here's hoping they figure that out shortly. Smile

CM
Pages: 1 2